Millennium FX Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
As scary as this may sound, but, I’m with jedibugs on this,100% :eek this whole 10th Dr sonic debate the design to the death your wrong I know more than you, he makes the only most screen accurate thing just keeps moving from one thread to another and it all start all over again, with the same issues just repeated again.

When a newbie starts adding to and old thread just to start it of again, tell them, that it has been debited to the death and to use the search function to research why we don’t need to repeat the same issue over and over again.

I couldn't resist

"tell them, that it has been debited to the death"

I have nothing to add to to this thread and feel that any comment would subtract from it's value therefore in summing up my contribution to this debate is ZERO! :behave

Last edited:
I know its been debated to death, but what's the answer? That sonic looks as tho it has different ridges from Aztec & 11th hour. Is it an Aztec filed down or was a middle sonic made, as this does look like the ridges MFx copied? Genuine question that was all... But no worries guys.

Last edited:
I know its been debated to death, but what's the answer? That sonic looks as tho it has different ridges from Aztec & 11th hour. Is it an Aztec filed down or was a middle sonic made, as this does look like the ridges MFx copied? Genuine question that was all... But no worries guys.

It does have different ridges from the Aztec(s) & 11th hour sonics. Below is a collage of the six distinct 9-10 Sonics I've identified. There may be more, and certainly some mixing and matching of pieces happened. I think they're all here though.

The one you ask about is second from the bottom.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Then There Were Six.png
    Then There Were Six.png
    701.4 KB · Views: 7,596
I don't think there is any ridge difference ( other than just minor hand made variances) in the last two in that photo, I think they are the same, Not the same Sonic, same ridge design) :confused

If you look at the cracks in the paint under the thumb slide that second Sonic in you montage is this exact one isnt it? Judging from the paint pattern I don't think it was even repainted between the two photos. Look on the slide switch exactly the same dings/wear.

I think the two bottom ones are the only two we see in every episode after the Runaway bride. The 11th hour and this Sonic are the two that were redone at the same time (shown on the confidential episode) so they should be pretty close. These photos are all the exact same Sonic aren't they?

15217-0004-1154545.jpg

13606-sonic-grid.jpg

10717-tennetsonic.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct, as far as I can tell. And yes, those are all the same SS. Though there is a bit more difference between those two sonic bodies than it first appears. The area behind the ridges on the on the one you posted is slightly concave, and a smaller diameter than the end piece.

Not so with the other one. :cool :thumbsup

Oh boy, who resurrected this puppy.

As for those ridges, well, seriously Phez. The pictures clearly show an asymmetric ridge shape. How can you not see it. Look at the angles. Look at the wear at the top compared to the bottom. It's pretty conclusive on every single picture except the fourth one down in OM's collage. This image was cropped for the book. But it is evident in the others. The paint does lessen the effect somewhat as it is caked on very thickly so you can be forgiven for not seeing the true shape upon first glance, but when you really look at the detail. It stands out like a batarang on a biscuit.

These two images I blew up to a daft degree to fully copy the pixel line of the sonic edge. When shrunk back down to the proper size, it shows interesting and pretty irrefutable results....

user3689_pic13606_1338498792.jpg

user3689_pic10717_1326731147-1.jpg

The angle on one side is definately steeper than on the other, whichever way you look at it. There is a varying amount of evenness on the whole ridge shape, as we well know as it was hand finished. But the angles are very different for the top and bottom of each ridge.

I remember way back trying to convince you that the prop sonic didn't use Heritage Gold paint though, and you couldn't be convinced. So I'm not going to try too hard with this one. I'm glad you don't work in CSI though.

Last edited:
Oh boy, who resurrected this puppy.

As for those ridges, well, seriously Phez. The pictures clearly show an asymmetric ridge shape. How can you not see it. Look at the angles. Look at the wear at the top compared to the bottom. It's pretty conclusive on every single picture except the fourth one down in OM's collage. This image was cropped for the book. But it is evident in the others. The paint does lessen the effect somewhat as it is caked on very thickly so you can be forgiven for not seeing the true shape upon first glance, but when you really look at the detail. It stands out like a batarang on a biscuit.

*snip*

I remember way back trying to convince you that the prop sonic didn't use Heritage Gold paint though, and you couldn't be convinced. So I'm not going to try too hard with this one. I'm glad you don't work in CSI though.[/QUOTE]

Remember though, Rubbertoe generously provided us some EXTREMELY clear photos of that 4th SS body as well. And in those pics the asymmetrical nature of those ridges is very pronounced. I just used that pic for the collage as I was illustrating the existence of at least 6 sonic bodies. (And secretly hoping somebody would pipe in with a "But wait, you forgot this one." comment XD)

Heres a picture that was posted elsewhere of one of Nick's sonics.

I'll say no more.

484099a2-d1c6-227c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Remember though, Rubbertoe generously provided us some EXTREMELY clear photos of that 4th SS body as well. And in those pics the asymmetrical nature of those ridges is very pronounced. I just used that pic for the collage as I was illustrating the existence of at least 6 sonic bodies. (And secretly hoping somebody would pipe in with a "But wait, you forgot this one." comment XD)

I could be mistaken, but I think the 5th one in your collage might be the MFX prototype that never saw the light of day. Or is the grid paper just throwing me off?

I could be mistaken, but I think the 5th one in your collage might be the MFX prototype that never saw the light of day. Or is the grid paper just throwing me off?

It's the real Sonic, but it's a PS'd image (notice the slider position) that I believe was generated in relation to the MFX. Again, it was just the easy pic to illustrate the SS family, and really, despite being PS'd, it's a very informative pic.

I believe that there is a shadow graphed image published of the 11th hour ridges that conclusively proves the shape of them. It is on Twitter somewhere.

This picture is actually a rather confusing reference because it is a photoshopped mash up of two different sonics. The body is from the season 4 tenant sonic that mfx referenced and posted pictures of, which now resides in the collection of David Tennant. The head however is from the season 4/5 sonic that is still in the collection of the bbc and which was used in the 11th hour.

This picture is actually a rather confusing reference because it is a photoshopped mash up of two different sonics. The body is from the season 4 tenant sonic that mfx referenced and posted pictures of, which now resides in the collection of David Tennant. The head however is from the season 4/5 sonic that is still in the collection of the bbc and which was used in the 11th hour.

That doesn't matter as the ridges are what we are discussing, not the head

It matters because seing this picture and thinking that it's all one sonic confuses people, like yourself, into not recognizing when they are looking at two different props.

You mention the shadow graph of the 11th hour prop. But the 11th hour prop was not the sonic referenced by mfx

It matters because seing this picture and thinking that it's all one sonic confuses people, like yourself, into not recognizing when they are looking at two different props.

You mention the shadow graph of the 11th hour prop. But the 11th hour prop was not the sonic referenced by mfx

No, you're confusing everyone by introducing something irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the pic you are talking about is photoshopped as the body hasn't and that is what people should be looking at. From what I can see the CT shadowgraph of the prop should be conclusive that both tennant props share the same geometry albeit it is more pronounced on one prop than the other.

And the pics shown by Asp9mm prove that MFX got their ridges wrong.

Not discussing the whole sonic. I'm just referencing the ridges there....

user3689_pic13606_1338498792-1.jpg

484099a2-d1c6-227c.jpg

This is the body from a season 3 sonic. Not a season 4 sonic. It was used in season 3 and was leftover when Nick Robotto stripped off the emitter and rebuilt the two season 4 sonics that he made for the show. It was not the type referenced by mfx and as such obviously looks very different than what they built.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back