Mass Effect 3 M-25 Hornet Sub Machine Gun

I'm consistently blown away by what people can do here! Incredible! And you should totally mold it and make the molds for sale! ;-)

The life of a hornet, part 4.

I used PVC to make the rounds on the rear of the "carrying handle"

DSCN0765.jpg

and then the voids were covered in styrene.

Heres some kind of detail made carefully in styrene

DSCN0764.jpg

Finishing up the beveling on the front end:

DSCN0767.jpg

More styrene details

DSCN0769.jpg

The priming adventure

DSCN0770.jpg

First pass, lookin good!

DSCN0772.jpg

Just about done, I left the hard part for last. The little dimples on the sides, and the annoying little circular inserts

DSCN0783.jpg

DSCN0785.jpg

the dimples seem to angle in on a plain from the back, and turn into fillets as they meet the forward edge of the recess. I decided, of course, to use styrene. I made little risers, and then made little templates to cut the sheets.

DSCN0786.jpg

To acheive the greatest mating surface area, I dremeled the little edge of the styrene to meet the angle it rests at.

DSCN0787.jpg

Heres a view installed, looking down the side

DSCN0788.jpg

Fun.

DSCN0792.jpg

A few more passes. Did this on both sides, mind you. Kind of hard to keep the fillet constant.

DSCN0794.jpg

You can hardly tell the dimple is there (1/8th inch deep, just like the design) but it was worth it. Heres a picture of the first screw plug insert.

DSCN0808.jpg

Masking the grip. Getting much faster at cutting custom masking strips.

DSCN0810.jpg

Orange stripe thingie. If you have one of these near your magwell, you might want to get it checked out.

DSCN0811.jpg

Last circles cut out on a scroll saw, then sanded. The thin styrene ring was dremeled.

DSCN0818.jpg

I've never seen the top of the magazine removed, and I think mass effect guns fire conventional rounds nowadays so I decided to have a modern looking magazine tip. (its removable)

I modeled it after an MP5. Styrene.

DSCN0821.jpg

Stencil drafting

DSCN0822.jpg

DSCN0823.jpg

Painted and weathered. I took too much off this side, so I re-did it.

DSCN0826.jpg

CAM aircraft lettering decal set. Works pretty good for the little stuff.

DSCN0834.jpg

Done!

6m25.jpg

1m25.jpg

3m25.jpg

5m25.jpg

2m25.jpg

My friend Kai who goes by kommissar here connected me with rana mcanear, who you might have seen around the cons dressed up as Samara. They modeled the in game character after her, so its as canon as it gets! I loaned her the hornet for a cross-promotion.

7m25.jpg

On the left is Corey Gaspur, lead combat designer of bioware at sdcc 2012. The next day I shipped it to Eric Jarman so he can cast it and run around nekked with it. Man, everyone gets to enjoy it but me!

Yo guys!! i am new to rpf!! i know this thread is a few years old, but i recently got interested in this prop!
I have seen 2 builds, they are made of MDF and foam respectively. One of which is featured earlier in this thread.

i saw a foam build on facebook, which featured this pic,
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f6/28/39/f628390a54afcfe9d3ed518807d85d78.jpg
a blue print with a looks-like 16 oz fanta for scale, i assume a fanta to be 212.2 mm tall from this site:
http://royalvendors.com/186-16-oz-fanta-knob-lw-bottle/

i scale the blue print accordingly: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/26/1f/a3/261fa318327549dedeea59b97e895af7.jpg

no money or access to MDF and foam plus their their tools. I wanna do a 3d printed version of this! i started by finding the original game asset, and i did on deviantart, it was so lowpoly. i have rebuilt a high-poly model in blender and maya as seen here.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/58/68/66/5868664f4a6df4ff049b1e9873b941ee.jpg

i have printed a few test pieces in pla, look okay so far. any thought guys? should i open a new thread instead?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back