Marcus Vending Machine from Borderlands 3 - full scale

A while ago I found this dude on Gearbox forums posting pics of his amazing 3D printed nade mods (some of the items sold in Marcus Vending Machines). I asked him if he was happy to print me one, and he did! What a legend, here is his Insta if anyone wants to look at his work: instagram.com/henchmen4hire

The parts got back today, this particular grenade mod is a Torgue one. Each manufacturer in BL3 has specific parts, the awesome thing is that I was sent 3 of the "wing" bits, and two of the flat panel parts as spares, so I have a bit of flexibility of which actual grenade mod I'll assemble and present on the shelf.

At this point I'm thinking of going with the Roided Ghast Call, I really enjoyed the BL3 Halloween event (where this grenade mod was available as a limited time drop).

Below is a shot of the actual nade mod that I'm looking to assemble (at this point) and the parts that I was sent.

IMG_20210613_122743.jpg

Last edited:
Have put some more work into the top panel today, keeping in mind that the panel has to be wider than the original since the screen on the right is narrower than the original.

Also got a couple of bike locks to use as cables.
IMG_20210619_140211.jpg
IMG_20210619_141213.jpg

IMG_20210620_134732.jpg

Over the past few days I have assembled and painted the nade mod mentioned above. I'm pretty happy with my spraypainting (and I should having painted cars for living back in the day), however my brush work is absolutely shocking as I've never done this before, so I may look to redo it at some point.

Will still need to get the stickers made up for the Torgue logo at the top, however until then this is looking pretty good overall I think!

IMG_20210625_123205.jpg

IMG_20210625_155148.jpg

IMG_20210626_130632.jpg

2021-06-27 12.42.34.jpg

The "oil catch can" looking device is now done. The top part is getting very close to completion now.

Photo00011.png

2021-08-08 18.45.07.jpg

The top part is definitely not as concave as I wanted but with the limited tools to do double curvature this is probably the best I can do at this point. Still I think it's ok for a small side piece.

It is amazing how much you are fabricating from scratch. I would have imagined using a small fire-extinguisher or propane container. But then it probably wouldn't fit in with the overall look.

It is amazing how much you are fabricating from scratch. I would have imagined using a small fire-extinguisher or propane container. But then it probably wouldn't fit in with the overall look.
Haha thanks dude, I actually had exactly the same idea about the fireextinguisher - I have 3 of them in the garage, and one is sized very close to what I needed - but that one my wife gave me for our wedding anniversary as a joke, I didnt have the heart to empty it out and chop it up so decided to make it from scratch.

I just read this from the beginning. What an amazing demonstration of your skill, knowledge of tools and materials, talent and patience. Being 98-percent metal I'm sure it weighs a ton, but once you're done it's here to stay. Wonderful work, keep it going.

I just read this from the beginning. What an amazing demonstration of your skill, knowledge of tools and materials, talent and patience. Being 98-percent metal I'm sure it weighs a ton, but once you're done it's here to stay. Wonderful work, keep it going.
Thanks mate, much appreciated. TBH it is quite rough when you look close up but I thoroughly enjoyed this activity, it was a nice change of pace from doing car related stuff.

It does weight quite a lot, I have not weighed it yet but once all the final panels are done I'm definitely going to weigh it. At this point I think I'm only a few months away from completion, there are 3 panels left (left, rear and top) all of which are relatively simple, there are 2 more decorative items to add and I've got motion sensor and an mp3 player that's activated by multiple inputs coming in the mail, so I'm definitely on the final stretch now.

Today I've made up a panel and hinges on the left of the machine, also wired up an ignition switch on the panel to mimic what it looks like in game. Also welded up a small grate / vent that sits on the front panel.

The panel lined up pretty well, only had to take off a few mils off the back edge.
2021-08-22 12.44.29.jpg

The hinges are done the same way as all the other ones on here - 3mm plate wrapped around cut down bolts. Seems to work great and is pretty quick to make.

2021-08-22 16.11.55.jpg

We used an Eden 6 key ring for the key (for those that don't know, this is one of the 4 vault keys from the game):
2021-08-22 16.25.23.jpg

And for those that can be bothered, here is an 8 minute summary of today's build:

Good job on the hinges, that is actually a pretty common technique for making basic hinges.
Oh really haha awesome. I had no idea. I really should start searching things before attempting them, would probably save a ton of time. Although something about just going for it and seeing what happens. Definitely not the most effective way but this is more just for fun anyway.

Finished off the left panel today, looks much better with the left hand side completely covered now.
IMG_20210828_133654.jpg

Also the cardreader - I was initially going to buy one but none are anywhere the right dimentions or shape so since I've been making everything, figured might as well make a cardreader too. It's got a pushbutton switch at the base so if you slide a card down across the back wall the switch engages and it'll all feed into the mp3 player that I've got coming that will be loaded up with Marcus's sound bytes.
IMG_20210829_114644.jpg

Only the "roof" and the back panels are left - Ive pretty much run out of sheet steel, so as soon as this current lockdown ends I'll be off to my steel guy's place to get another full sized sheet. And then only one decorative item in the bottom left corner and another small bit that I have to complete. Very close to completion now.

And I have decided against painting it. The finish I have here will look absolutely horrendous painted, so I think just raw steel - some early panels haven't rusted in 2 years like this, so I am relatively confident it can sit here for another 10 years as a prop without major issues. And if I need to strip it and sandblast it every decade to keep it fresh - thats not too bad.
IMG_20210829_153046.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back