Done / Completed Luke's *Screen Accurate* ROTJ Yuma/ISYHCANL/Hero Tri-Rings (Unlimited run)

Is there a difference between the mild and the stainless steel versions.? is the finish the same.?
Hey, Sorry. This message slipped through the net. Yeah, the Stainless is more like a kind of chrome finish, and the mild steal is darker/duller and will rust over time.
are these still available?
Hey Danny. Did the five you ordered get to you eventually? Hope so (postage has been a nightmare). Yeah, they're still available. I have a few made up ready. Running low on materials though, so might need to order some more soon.

*Update*

Hi Everyone. Having had one of these lost in the mail, I'll made the decision to send via Royal Mail "International tracked and signed" from now on. This is obviously more expensive, but at £7 it's worth it for that peace of mind.

I've also taken the decision to increase the price (updated in the OP). I've been pretty much selling these at cost price up to now (especially after PayPal fees) which has been fine, and I really appreciate everyone who has chosen to buy one of these so far. The aim was to cover the cost of the jig, which turned out a treat and is still hanging in there. They are quite time consuming too though unfortunately, and I'm completely swamped at the moment with other projects. So, I've taken the decision to increase the price from £5 to £7 for each ring. I'm just so short on time at the moment.

Hope you understand and that this sounds reasonable.

All the best,

Dave

Hey, Sorry. This message slipped through the net. Yeah, the Stainless is more like a kind of chrome finish, and the mild steal is darker/duller and will rust over time.

Hey Danny. Did the five you ordered get to you eventually? Hope so (postage has been a nightmare). Yeah, they're still available. I have a few made up ready. Running low on materials though, so might need to order some more soon.

I’m just curious, I have a few commissions who wish to upgrade to your rings. I’ll place a order this weekend

As others have said, these steel versions will rust up quite nicely. This one was placed in a chemical bath for about 45 minutes:

182F542D-F03B-4A88-ABF7-6BCA18AB7430.jpeg

Also, if you don’t already have a pair of these chain-link pliers in your prop-building arsenal, you need to. Gone for me are the days of having to hack-off pieces of d-ring to attach them to my builds. These pliers will spread apart a d-ring (or tri-ring) and close it back up—without deformation—with ease.

C8725636-969B-4672-A8AD-754F32990AAD.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m just curious, I have a few commissions who wish to upgrade to your rings. I’ll place a order this weekend
Hey Danny. No problem. I've just ordered more steel rods, so I shouldn't be running out any time soon. (y)

A bit hectic getting the Yuma run out right now, but they should all be out by weekend hopefully.

Cheers!

As others have said, these steel versions will rust up quite nicely. This one was placed in a chemical bath for about 45 minutes:

View attachment 1317639

Also, if you don’t already have a pair of these chain-link pliers in your prop-building arsenal, you need to. Gone for me are the days of having to hack-off pieces of d-ring to attach them to my builds. These pliers will spread apart a d-ring (or tri-ring) and close it back up—without deformation—with ease.

View attachment 1317642
That's rusted up great! Can I ask which chemicals you used?

Gotta get myself some of those too! I've been opening mine up with two sets of pliers and then closing back up in the vice. It's a pain. I guess these just hold it open long enough to get on and then it springs back when you're done?

That's rusted up great! Can I ask which chemicals you used?

Gotta get myself some of those too! I've been opening mine up with two sets of pliers and then closing back up in the vice. It's a pain. I guess these just hold it open long enough to get on and then it springs back when you're done?

Sure. It’s a simple bath of peroxide and salt. Place the tri-ring in a bowl and, in a well-ventilated area, spray it with a generous amount of peroxide (I omitted the vinegar and it didn’t seem to matter) and sprinkle salt over the top. I repeated this process for about 45 minutes until I had the finish I wanted.

The chain-link pliers work very simply.

Open the ring using the front jaws of the head....

9F73F40E-72D8-4056-AB6A-276E871C7333.jpeg

....and close the ring using the rear jaws of the head.

857E4177-A227-4020-AE8F-AD7E970445B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Sure. It’s a simple bath of peroxide and salt. Place the tri-ring in a bowl and, in a well-ventilated area, spray it with a generous amount of peroxide and sprinkle salt over the top. I repeated this process for about 45 minutes until I had the finish I wanted.

The chain-link pliers work very simply.

One opens the ring using the front of the head....

View attachment 1317702

....and closes the ring using the rear of the head.

View attachment 1317701
Thanks for that! That's great. Well I'm sold! It's like they were made for saber enthusiasts! :D Definitely on my shopping list. Cheers! (y)

I just ordered a set of those pliers, the D-ring and tri-ring install was always my most stressful part of any saber build. Thanks for the heads-up!

View attachment 1317639

View attachment 1317642

Got a link to that exact model?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back