Luke V2 lever

Here's how the hair pin ended looking if somebody is curious. I really didn't spend much time trying to match it to the pictures, just wanted to see if it can get close I if I find a steel one later.

1617204240589.png

v312
What’s the metal thickness/gauge?

I see they also made some miniature ones for “doll - hair”
For the "pilers" - Somewhere in the 0.6x-0.7mm range ... I don't have a good tool to measure it better, sorry. The hair pin/clip is 0.5mm

Last edited:
Here's how the hair pin ended looking if somebody is curious. I really didn't spend much time trying to match it to the pictures, just wanted to see if it can get close I if I find a steel one later.

View attachment 1442316
That looks really good man! I mean, this isn't a far out Idea at all. Perhaps the prop department was simply looking for a replacement part that had some sort of pin, and could function the same way?

Really, really looks good!!! Sorry I was so late on this. I noticed for some of them the arms curved before the hinge which would be incorrect, and there were different kinds of swoop
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.45.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.46.09 AM.png
Others were even bent
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.46.41 AM.png

Funny thing is most of them are too large. Doll hair? The mustache or eyelash ones are the right size. V312 that looks so good!!! *EDIT* did you have to hammer the hump into the body of it? phrasing, I know lol

I bought this one - and it's actually tarnished like the Obi Wan ANH color! I bet I can polish it up a bit - i wouldn't be surprised if they did that when they polished up the V2.. now we have to figure out how to get the rivet to stay in there

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.26.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.26.59 PM.png

That looks really good man! I mean, this isn't a far out Idea at all. Perhaps the prop department was simply looking for a replacement part that had some sort of pin, and could function the same way?
It is possible .. these apparently are so ancient that must have been around even when the flash was new - so in theory it could have been the photographer that replaced it. But who replaced it and why for me is still kind of mystery.
Funny thing is most of them are too large. Doll hair? The mustache or eyelash ones are the right size. V312 that looks so good!!! *EDIT* did you have to hammer the hump into the body of it? phrasing, I know lol
I got 2 of them in the lot - the one that I've shown and looks like the right size is about 6 inches long. There are some traces of paint left on the handle so it probably was painted pink once. The other is too big for a lever - about 9 inches long and handles are painted green.

No, I didn't have to hammer it - it is soft enough to bend it with my hands. Then I used small pilers to tweak the overall shape

So I got my first (ordered 2 kinds) and i have something funny to tell you all

This one.. one arm is the EXACT profile.. but a bit too big
20210405_212140.jpg
The other arm is the EXACT size for a replica graflex screw.. but the profile is a little smaller.
20210405_212248.jpg20210405_212140.jpg

This is all pre-cut, so youd have to imagine the swoop - i only did this with pliers, snips and other hand tools

Attachments

• 20210405_211921.jpg
    20210405_211921.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
I have a VERY good feeling about this. maybe it's a HUGE coincidence, maybe not.

Anyway, I chopped it to length with a dremel. It shot sparks everywhere! The metal turned into tiny shards and cut the crap out of my hands. It feels like I touched a cactus

Anyway, I used a sanding drum to continue the curve, and thin the lever to the right profile. It took lots of reverse-thinking to imagine what it looked like before. I noticed the tip of the lever was so thin that the walls of the lever were milled so low that it was really just the top of the lever with no walls. it also was rounded or softened a little.
20210406_172356.jpeg

20210406_172307.jpeg

So I got stuck... what to do? how does everyone create that upward bend? pull it back and forth at different points? Well.. it finally hit me that if you line up the joints... this lever really sticks up. One bend with pliers at the right point did it.

20210406_172335.jpeg

The walls spread out afterwards, so I used a vice to fold them back in, and it went a bit too far.. giving me that EXACT folded look of the real lever! The top of the hinge pokes up too.. exactly like the real one.
AKV%fcTqQ1uH0H1iqEnd6Q.jpgy+6Kqj39ROC0ff1KGYJC2g.jpgnb3gNl9CSe6Cg5mj5o3eWw.jpg
Problem is, we're about 1-2 mm too large around the joint. I think it looks great, just not sure how to create the stem, finishing nails look really good, but the Graflex screw is very loose

2syAz4KpTrmCxns4p29jgA.jpg

Attachments

• 20210406_193045.jpeg
    20210406_193045.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
Without accurizing the profile of my first lever (could have more of a swoop) i stuck some washers around the replica graflex post and stuck the rivet from a slightly larger curling iron in there and look what we have! I dont think this works though

1) the hinge is too low. Is there enough material to drill a new hole? It doesnt seem like it

2) the graflex post hole is very close to the edge, meaning it doesnt fill the inside of the lever. Roys lever looks to have a bigger post - maybe whoever did this didnt use the original Graflex lever?

20210413_131944.jpg
20210413_132043.jpg
20210413_132112.jpg

Without accurizing the profile of my first lever (could have more of a swoop) i stuck some washers around the replica graflex post and stuck the rivet from a slightly larger curling iron in there and look what we have! I dont think this works though

1) the hinge is too low. Is there enough material to drill a new hole? It doesnt seem like it

2) the graflex post hole is very close to the edge, meaning it doesnt fill the inside of the lever. Roys lever looks to have a bigger post - maybe whoever did this didnt use the original Graflex lever?

View attachment 1446365View attachment 1446364View attachment 1446363
Following your progress with great interest! Not too much time these days for my projects, but I'll continue to work on mine when I get my V2 from PoopaPapaPalps run :)
What replica lever did you use to get the screw part ?

can you give us the reference of the clamp thanks to you?
Not sure what reference to the clam are you asking about? It's just a regular graflex clamp
Ooh thats nice - the hinge was in the right place it looks like. I really dig the flip at the end
I got a couple like that, but the other was all black so I went with the shiny one, here's the other. I've only cut it from the handle so far, but might complete it some day ( if I decide to get another hilt and build the AHN stunt version).

1627179806490.png

I’m assuming that most of these curling irons are unbranded- might need to search geographically instead of via maker/branding?

the work you’ve done on that particular lever / curler is admittedly strikingly similar

Probably .. if at all they used something like that - must have been a model that was common in UK rather than the US ones I got.
There was no brand or any markings on any of them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back