Looper Blunderbuss - Pics of Painted Slushcast Kit on pg. 18

Re: "Looper" Blunderbuss Shotgun - WIP pics begin on Page 3

In ref to the "groove" the arrow is pointing at...couldn't you plug the barrel w/a disc of something, find the centerpoint and use a COMPASS to scribe the line in question? I figure you could experiement w/different "bits" to scribe a groove deep enuff as to look like the separation of the two tubes? Just a thought.....
loopbar.jpg

Here's one of Art's SDCC pics cropped and resized with an arrow pointing at the line I was talking about. Any other ideas?

-Jonaas[/QUOTE]

Re: Looper Blunderbuss Shotgun - WIP pics begin on Page 3

I know I'm being picky, but a compass would be pretty useless for scribing lines. What you need are a 'pair of compasses' :D

It was only 40 bucks used so even if if can't be modified to my liking, wasn't a huge loss.

Are you kidding? That rail will work great for the blunderbuss! Just cut it down to 12 inches and go from there! Good luck on your costume, Sharpshooter!

In ref to the "groove" the arrow is pointing at...couldn't you plug the barrel w/a disc of something, find the centerpoint and use a COMPASS to scribe the line in question? I figure you could experiement w/different "bits" to scribe a groove deep enuff as to look like the separation of the two tubes?

I think you hit the nail on the head, Roy. I'll pop over to Micheal's in the morn to see what I can find.

I know I'm being picky, but a compass would be pretty useless for scribing lines. What you need are a 'pair of compasses' :D

I believe Roy was referring to THESE kinds of compasses. The ones I've seen are a bit pricey, but at the very least I'll buy it, use it, then return it :lol

Before I go on, I just want to thank everyone for chiming in with advice and support. I knew as soon as the movie came out and people started seeing it, more helpful comment posts and PMs would come in and they really have.

Time for updates!

100_0374.jpg

After another hour and a half in the garage, I finally (FINALLY!) got the grips' initial shape to where I wanted it. Just for gits and shiggles, I covered the grips with a couple layers of paper tape to see where it stood. Like I mentioned before, I'm not too sure what kind of tape is used on the actual prop, so I gotta do a bit more research.

100_0380.jpg

Now, this is the closest I can get to accurate seeing as 80% of the actual grip is covered with tape, but I'm happy with it. At the very least, it feels really good in your hand.

100_0379.jpg

Once the rear endcap is finished and prior to final mounting, I'll probably be modifying the proximal edge of the grip a bit more to make sure it matches the original prop, but I have a feeling that the work will be minimal.

100_0381.jpg

After hitting the grips and grip frame with a bit o' primer, I almost got all the pieces smooth, save for a couple small lowspots and cracks. Even though I have a little bit of Spot Putty to sand down beforehand, I went ahead and used a Sharpie pen to mark out the grooves I plan on scribing in tomorrow. I practiced my grooves on a scrap piece of pine and I think I'll be able to carve them no problem. And I've decided that the grooves will span the entire body of the grip. Visible or not, I'm striving for realism here. And a quick tip for those who're attempting their own build: There are 13 grooves on the right grip, 11 on the left.

100_0370.jpg

Here's where we stand now. Because the grips/grip frame are nearing their completion, I already started planning the rear endcap. Currently, my plan is to mount the rear endcap to the grip frame/plug, but I'll post more details after I start the build.

Thanks for reading, everyone! And don't forget to check out my Interest List in the Junkyard if you're interested in making a blunderbuss of your own!

-Jonaas

I may sound silly for saying this but what is the red substance you have covered the front cap and the grip with. Is it some sort of primer?

Last edited:

I may sound silly for saying this but what is the red substance you have covered the front cap and the grip with. Is it some sort of primer?

No worries, friend...you're absolutely right! It's Krylon Primer in Ruddy Brown. There's also bits of Bondo Spot Putty in the mix too, and it has a similar color.

Is that Krylon Ruddy Brown a preferred choice versus other primers?

Is that Krylon Ruddy Brown a preferred choice versus other primers?

Im no expert but i asume it's better for this certain project as he used it on wood AND plastic which means it's a multi surface primer which saves you from buying two different ones. (Im probably wrong) :)

That makes sense, being on wood. I didn't think of that.

I originally came across this thread looking for information on the jacket. I found something pretty close, so I thought I'd come back and share.

SlimFit Mandarin Collar Blazer

(sorry about the huge jpg)
0000370428.jpg

I was looking around for mandarin, nehru, or standup collar blazers for quite some time, but it's hard to find one that doesn't have a notch before the collar. One of the coolest things about JGL's blazer is that straight lin up to the chin. The one I found is reeeeally close. I still think the collar is too short.

This makes me think blazer in the film must be custom: no buttons (except the red one on the collar) and the way it sharply cuts back at the bottom.

Looper_bang.jpg

No sleeve buttons either. The design is clearly based on Korean fashion, and the costume designer got rid of all the vestigial adornments. I kinda want this for a costume, I kinda just one one to wear.

The retailer I linked to says they are temporarily out of stock of the gray, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else on the internet, except for the designer's webpage http://www.byslim.com ..... which is in Korean. Google translate can only take me so far. It appears to sell for W 49,000 (according to Google that's $44 US) but I'm not daring enough to try to buy a jacket from a website I can't read. I can't imagine the shipping is cheap, either. If anyone can find either another distributor or can read enough to walk through the site, I'm all ears.

As far as the tape on the gun, you might try tennis racket grip tape. I think that's what the original was trying to replicate.

Maybe that jacket should have it's own thread instead of hijacking someone's build thread???

Im no expert but i asume it's better for this certain project as he used it on wood AND plastic which means it's a multi surface primer which saves you from buying two different ones. (Im probably wrong) :)

I picked Ruddy Brown because I wanted a really contrasting color from the original material. And most Krylon is multi-surface, so it was a happy accident.

The retailer I linked to says they are temporarily out of stock of the gray, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else on the internet, except for the designer's webpage http://www.byslim.com ..... which is in Korean. Google translate can only take me so far. It appears to sell for W 49,000 (according to Google that's $44 US) but I'm not daring enough to try to buy a jacket from a website I can't read. I can't imagine the shipping is cheap, either. If anyone can find either another distributor or can read enough to walk through the site, I'm all ears.

As far as the tape on the gun, you might try tennis racket grip tape. I think that's what the original was trying to replicate.

Yeah, that's a pretty close match! And once if you ever get one, it shouldn't be too hard to make those alterations! Thanks for the detective work! Also, I'll check out some tennis tape at Sport Chalet later on today and let you know.

Maybe that jacket should have it's own thread instead of hijacking someone's build thread???
When I first started this thread it was a multi-purpose Looper research thread discussing ALL the props AND wardrobe. I switched it over to a WIP thread when I started my build, but since there still wasn't any dedicated Looper thread out there, I requested that any other info about the film could be posted here too. Until someone starts a dedicated Looper thread, off-topic posts are fine with me.

So I just have to put Jack to sleep and after that, I'll start etching in the grips' texture. C'mon, baby, go to sleep!

-Jonaas

On shotguns they call it a "fore grip" or a "slide action" on older models like the Spencer 1882.

When I first started this thread it was a multi-purpose Looper research thread discussing ALL the props AND wardrobe. I switched it over to a WIP thread when I started my build, but since there still wasn't any dedicated Looper thread out there, I requested that any other info about the film could be posted here too. Until someone starts a dedicated Looper thread, off-topic posts are fine with me.

-Jonaas

I am happy to stand corrected :)

On shotguns they call it a "fore grip" or a "slide action" on older models like the Spencer 1882.

See, I KNEW I wasn't crazy. I've always referred to it as a slide or pump action.

It's been around for a while. In fact, I've seen it used in another movie, called Give 'em Hell, Malone.

I think my Holy Grail pertaining to this movie will be a custom-made gray jacket, actual Mateba, and a custom-made Mateba holster like the one in the JGL photo that IanSketches posted.

Back to the workshop! Updates soon!

-Jonaas

I've been after a Mateba for years! Even an accurate resin one, no luck though. Heck I should buy one and mold it.

Anywho I was wonder if these casts would be done by Halloween. I know its a month away, just curious.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back