Looper Blunderbuss - Pics of Painted Slushcast Kit on pg. 18

Re: Looper Blunderbuss Shotgun - WIP pics begin on Page 3

Excellent work so far! :thumbsup
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out and also what it looks like on the big screen :)

Really, the blunderbuss is featured so prominently in the film, it's practically another character. They're on screen repeatedly and the way they function is even a plot point. In fact, ALL the props in this film get center stage at one point or another.

Today will be kind of hectic, as I'm meeting a client for costume measurements and then catching "Looper" again (this time with the wife)...but I hope to have some real updates on the grip by the end of the night.

-Jonaas

Last edited:
Re: Rian Johnson's "Looper"...I LOVE these props!

I think that's the one! I'd never even HEARD of Mateba! Now, I'm going to try and track down a live Unica for myself!

Is it weird that I tense a little bit every time someone mentions the Mateba? I've seen people get stupid passionate about it, on anime fansites :/

Re: Rian Johnson's "Looper"...I LOVE these props!

Is it weird that I tense a little bit every time someone mentions the Mateba? I've seen people get stupid passionate about it, on anime fansites :/

I think it's because of nerds' tendency to covet what they can no longer have (and I say that speaking as a nerd myself). I bet you the same thing will happen to the Beretta 9mm if they ever discontinued it.

So quick update...I chopped off a bit too much from my grips :facepalm I just filled up the gaps with Apoxie Sculpt. By the time I get back from the 230 showing of Looper, it should be ready to smooth and carve.

Bye!

-Jonaas

Just saw the movie. I really loved it. I'm more interested in this prop becoming a kit more than ever. Great work so far!

Just saw the movie. I really loved it. I'm more interested in this prop becoming a kit more than ever. Great work so far!

Glad you liked it too, WyattLane! And FYI, my Interest List thread for the blunderbuss is in the Junkyard, so if I do get a run going once the gun is finished, you'll be one of the first to know.

-Jonaas

UPDATES!

100_0337.jpg

After affixing the uncut pine grips into position on the grip frame with zip ties, I went about shaving the pine into shape. Because of the zip ties, I did the majority of the shaping with my Dremel's sanding drum, shifting the zip ties back and forth so I could trim the entire surface of the grips. Why didn't I just snip off the grips? I needed the grips to be perfectly aligned onto the grip frame to ensure symmetry and proper proportion. Of course, the zip ties didn't work and the grips kept wobbling around due to the Dremel's vibration.

100_0341.jpg

Still, I was able to hold it down long enough to get the grips closer to their final shape. However, daydreaming during monotonous tasks is the bane of all proppers (or at least MY bane). During the shaving, I managed to take off a bit more than I'd originally ended :facepalm The right-side grip only had a small area where I got too Dremel-happy. This gap would later be filled with some Apoxie Sculpt.

100_0346.jpg

The left side wasn't as lucky. Once again, thank you Aves.

100_0351.jpg

After laying down the Apoxie Sculpt, the wife and I went to go watch "Looper" (my second viewing, her first). After I stopped creaming my jeans over how fan-effing-tastic the movie is, I got back home to find the Apoxie Sculpt was already cured. I busted out the Dremel and hand-sander and smoothed out the clay.

100_0356.jpg

The grips still aren't properly shaped (I need to scrutinize my ref pics to ensure my proportions are correct...I still think the grips are a little thick). After they're perfectly shaped, I'll go about carving in the grips' distinct texture.

Quick Survey for those who're following this thread: Only about 20% of the carved portion of the grip is visible on the actual prop (the rest of it covered by medical tape). That being said, who thinks I should carve the texture onto the entire grips? Who thinks I only need to carve the texture onto the visible portion of the grips? Thanks in advance!

-Jonaas

Tough call. How quickly do you want it finished? hehe.
You could always carve out more, bit by bit.

I'd say only what's visible. I don't think anyone is planning on taking off the medicle tape, ya know?

You could always carve out more, bit by bit.
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. I don't think it'll be that difficult, just tedious. And I'm also concerned about whether the grips' shape will look different under the tape if I take too much off.

I don't think anyone is planning on taking off the medicle tape, ya know?
That brings up another question...if I get the run going, should the tape be part of the molded parts or should it be a detail that's added by people who're putting the kit together/painting and finishing the casts themselves?

One last thing...upon further inspection, I'm beginning to think that the tape isn't medical tape, but simple tan masking tape. I'll put more research into it later.

Alright, off to carve them grips!

-Jonaas

The tape on the SDCC blunderbuss looks to be wrapped around the moulded handle.
The original handle must have been sand blasted to get the grain to stand out like that.

View attachment 115902

I have emailed sharen davis to ask her about the jacket! Made or bought! I don't expect a reply but stranger things have happened!! !!

Hello, I am new to this forum but i really want to get stuck in and help with your build as i plan to make one myself :)

The tape on the SDCC blunderbuss looks to be wrapped around the moulded handle.
The original handle must have been sand blasted to get the grain to stand out like that.

Thanks for the assist, sir! So I guess fully carving the grip is the way to go. But what do you mean by "stand out like that"? Are you talking about the grooves of the grip or the grain of the wood?

I have emailed sharen davis to ask her about the jacket! Made or bought! I don't expect a reply but stranger things have happened!! !!
Right on, John! Keep us all posted with any word you get back from her!

Hello, I am new to this forum but i really want to get stuck in and help with your build as i plan to make one myself :)
Welcome to the RPF, sir! And any help is appreciated. As for your own build, I can't wait to see what you put out. And just in case you need an assist, have you seen my Interest List in the Junkyard? I plan on selling resin blunderbuss parts and full blunderbuss casts if there's enough interest.

-Jonaas

Welcome to the RPF, sir! And any help is appreciated. As for your own build, I can't wait to see what you put out. And just in case you need an assist, have you seen my Interest List in the Junkyard? I plan on selling resin blunderbuss parts and full blunderbuss casts if there's enough interest.

-Jonaas

That will be really helpful. ATM i am looking around for a good deal on the Quad Rail, then i can get started on the rest of the frame.

Originally Posted by FakeBritishAccent
Thanks for the assist, sir! So I guess fully carving the grip is the way to go. But what do you mean by "stand out like that"? Are you talking about the grooves of the grip or the grain of the wood?

The grooves in the grip are the harder grain of the wood, the lines only stand out because they weren't worn away by the sand blasting process, that's why the lines on the grip have an odd curve, rather than a machined look.

Kind of like this.
View attachment 115913

Finally saw it...Amazing. Even more excited about this!

The grooves in the grip are the harder grain of the wood, the lines only stand out because they weren't worn away by the sand blasting process, that's why the lines on the grip have an odd curve, rather than a machined look.

I guess that option is out for me because half the left side grip has been replaced with Apoxie Sculpt. I'll just have to cheat the look with my Dremel carving bits and hope for the best.

Finally saw it...Amazing. Even more excited about this!
Isn't it just fantastic? I was almost tempted to catch it a THIRD time today (ironically enough, with the buddy who I saw it with opening night) but I stopped myself last minute. I'll catch it again near the end of it's run.

Maybe I missed it, but...what's the length of the YHM-5005? Great looking build!
Thanks for the kind words, friend. As for the YHM-5005, it's a foot long. I'm guessing you're gonna scratchbuild it? Good luck, dude! I would've given it a shot too, but I didn't have the right tools (Hell, I don't even have the right tools for the stuff I'm ALREADY making :lol).

So I'm still shaving down the grips...they just seem too thick every time I pick it up. Hopefully, I'll have them shaped perfectly by tonight and I'll upload pics when I do.

-Jonaas

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back