Han Solo ANH Hero DL-44 Heavy Blaster ***COMPLETED PICS ON PG. 4***

Re: My ANH Hero DL-44 from a Denix Mauser

Tonight I finished re-mounting the Denix's flip-up sight. As I mentioned before, I decided to make it non-functional in order to match the Mauser/MGC more accurately.

Mauser AND MGC have completly functional rearsights, thats the reason a sight is on a gun. ;)

They flip up and their slider works.

Mauser AND MGC have completly functional rearsights, thats the reason a sight is on a gun. ;)

They flip up and their slider works.

Oh, I knew that...but I sanded the top and sides of the front of the Denix's sight and the securing pin to match the MGC cosmetically. Because of that, the sight on my Denix got loose and floppy, so I just bit the bullet and JB Welded it down. I wish I was able retain the sight function, but I'm still happy with what I got.

Updates!

100_7380.jpg

After affixing the original sight to the upper receiver and attaching the faux pins, I gave the whole shebang a final sand with 220 grit and shot a few coats of Krylon Flat Black so I could see any imperfections. I'm happy to say the upper receiver is baby's butt smooth and exactly how I wanted it end up.

100_7395.jpg

A close up of the totally revamped Denix sight. As I mentioned before, the Denix had a little nub on the point where the flip-up sight and the upper receiver met, apparently added so it'd be thick enough to thread the attaching pin through. After sanding down this nub, it created a hole in the sight where the pin used to sit. I filled the hole with Apoxie Sculpt and sanded it smooth, rounding the tip of the sight to better match the profile of the MGC's sight.

100_7402.jpg

After a fruitless search for a Heathkit remote control, I decided to sculpt the control sticks/sights myself. This may just be a glob of Apoxie Sculpt slapped onto the end of an old flathead screwdriver, but after it cures, I'll sand and carve it to spec. And then I'll do it again!

100_7406.jpg

And here we are! I'm scheduled to work for the next 6 nights, but after that, I have 8 straight nights off! As long as all my parts come in, I figure I should be done with this sucker by Valentine's Day!

Thanks for looking, everyone!

-Jonaas

Last edited:

Wow that thing is really coming together now, it's darn near finished already! :lol

Nice work! Cool to see you added the flat spots between the 'lugs' on your Mount too. :thumbsup

-Carson

Nice work! Cool to see you added the flat spots between the 'lugs' on your Mount too. :thumbsup

-Carson

ALDJASLDJ! It's awesome you noticed that, Carson because I SPECIFICALLY sweated to make sure I got the flat part correct! Thanks, brother!

-Jonaas

:lol

You could have just asked, i have some of the small parts as doubles in my part boxes. Also this things:

Blaster028.jpg

Got home from the hospital and decided to put in a little work on the blaster before bedtime.

100_7408.jpg

Because of some careless casting at the Denix factory, the grooves on the hammer were incredibly misaligned. Using a tiny triangular file, I lined the grooves up correctly.

100_7412.jpg

To check for imperfections in my newly modified hammer, I shot a coat of Krylon Flat Black on the entire lower receiver. Of course, all this paint is gonna have to be stripped off once the gun is completed, but it was nice to see it closer to its final form (at least colorwise, that is).

100_7410.jpg

I took a shot in natural light just so I could see how everything lines up. I think it's real purdy.

And that's all for now. I just received a message that my ACTUAL Hensoldt scope will be mailed out on Monday, but since from another country, I'm not sure when it will arrive. Vincent from Corellian Exports told me that he's mailing out my resin scope in the upcoming week. There's a chance I'll wake up and find my wood grips and third knurled check nut in the mail today. I still haven't put any work into my antennas/sights, but hopefully I can snag a couple from Michael/Lichtbringer. A request to Gino for a six-inch length of t-track proved fruitless. Unless someone has a spare piece of T-track to share with me (literally two inches worth), my sight will be made of a plastic rake from Home Depot. I feel like I'm trying all I can to avoid working on the flash hider, which if you haven't been following this thread has proven to be the biggest b!tch of the project thus far.

Time for sleep! Thanks, everyone!
-Jonaas

It´s coming together nicely. :cool

but hopefully I can snag a couple from Michael/Lichtbringer. A request to Gino for a six-inch length of t-track proved fruitless. Unless someone has a spare piece of T-track to share with me (literally two inches worth),

Sure you can, no problem - but your timing sucks, did i already mentioned that? :lol 2 days ago i´ve sent a parcel with a lot of machined parts to Markus, i could have included the antennas to get them shipped with your scope ....... if your timing would have been better. :love

Regarding t-track - ask "Marv", he is the nice one of the t-track guys, i think he´s gonna try to help.

It´s coming together nicely. :cool

Sure you can, no problem - but your timing sucks, did i already mentioned that? :lol 2 days ago i´ve sent a parcel with a lot of machined parts to Markus, i could have included the antennas to get them shipped with your scope ....... if your timing would have been better. :love

BLARGH! Ah, well. Still, do you think I can buy a couple antennas from you? Also, I just messaged Marv about the T-track. Hopefully he and I can strike some sort of deal.

-Jonaas

Hey Jonaas, Hey Michael

I can throw 2 antennaes in the box with the scope, no prob. I also have some t track for you :)

BTW: I found a MR ANH EE blaster muzzle in my parts box, make me an offer if you want it and save yourself some work ;)

Markus

Markus, PM Sent!

A small (but somehow HUGE) update:

100_7424.jpg

I got my wood grips in! But Michael/Lichtbringer wasn't kidding around: The blaster/s frame had to be modified substantially in order to ensure the grips fit perfectly.

100_7532.jpg

After a few hours of grinding and filing, I ended up with this. I had to put in a bit of work to the actual grips as well, sanding and grinding in order to get the grips to slide into the frame and allow the grip screws to fit perfectly. I also lightly sanded some rough grooves with 220 grit sandpaper. I may shave off a bit more from the grips or frame to make sure the grips are 100% secure. There's a mm gap that's kinda bugging me. Plus, I have to restain the areas that I smoothed over with sandpaper. Now I'm trying to decide whether or not my grips should have a shine. I mean, the gun will be weathered to $ hit so maybe a glossy perfect grip would look out of place...but it WOULD feel nicer to hold. And if I DO decided to shine up the grips, should I laquer them or just give it a nice oil rub?

Once again, thanks for looking, everyone!

-Jonaas

Last edited:

I just scored a small piece of T-track off Marv/John for a really good price! Now let's hope I hear from OdiWan/Markus about the antennas before he sends out my Hensoldt tomorrow!

Re: Han Solo ANH Hero DL-44 Heavy Blaster from a Denix Mauser

Just PM´d you...the antennaes are included in the box.

Markus

Just a small update before sleep. I sanded the lines on the grips a bit more and gave the grips a layer of stain. Awaiting the arrival of my third check nut so I can modify and then mount it. I'm...freakin'...tired.

-Jonaas

OK, seems i can lay back and just watch the show. :cool

Trust me, friend...you've already helped me more than enough. Me thinks it's time you offered your expertise to The Night and his ESB Blaster project!

So, just a small (but sucky) update. Turns out the wood grips I'd purchased were already sealed, so the stain I put on them didn't cure properly and stickiness ensued. I was able to polish out most of it off, but there's some bits of it still stuck in the grooves that I just KNOW will become a home for errant dust flying about my room so I'm going to try to pick it out with a toothpick. After maybe a nice oil rub to give the grip a little bit of a shine, I'm going to leave the finish alone for good.

Blargh. Stupid me.

-Jonaas

Great work! Thanks for sharing the whole build.
Can you blue cast metal, or does it need painting?

Great work! Thanks for sharing the whole build.
Can you blue cast metal, or does it need painting?

I read in another thread that when you use a cold-bluing product like Johnson Alu-Black on the Denix, it leaves a hazy white surface that is then treated with gun oil to shine it up. I'm going to perform tests when I get to the coloring process, but just based on how my blaster looks now, I think I'm just gonna stick with a Krylon Flat Black/Kryon Satin Black combo for the gun, lightly sanding and scraping to distress aluminum/alloy areas and drybrushing with silver enamel the resin/Apoxie Sculpt areas. thorssoli detailed a great distressing method on his Warhammer helmet project that involved bits of yellow mustard (yes THAT mustard) and a razor blade. My Hensoldt scope is on the way and has already been blue'd for me, but I may end up repainting it if it's not to my liking.

thanks for the shout out FBA. i'm watching this closely and its looking awesome. trying to read up as much on the DL44 as i can.

great build thread. its coming along great

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back