I've always had issue with my cast V2's emitters. One of its key features (now) are the dents around the emitter face and that was a detail I just couldn't fully replicate on my cast replicas without minor and major cracks forming (or chipping off completely). I always thought it was just the quality of my casting aluminium, and the extruded aluminium before it, and that whatever the stuff the real hilts were made from surely had to be made of tougher stuff. Well, it is and it isn't cast aluminium. Tonight proved my assertions (and worries) correct: The V2's emitter is likely not made of a cast alloy.

This is the 4145 cast emitter that I managed to dent with my custom die. Looks good...

20230208_161016.jpg

...Until you turn it over. Hairline fractures and cracks running the perimeter of where the bends are. This is not something that the real prop in its current state has. It is, however, something that all my previous attempts at replicating this detail has resulted. The cast alloys used to make the hilts are not strong enough endure the damage in an area as thin as the emitter plate. Therefore, for it to be as dinged but remain intact as it is currently on the real prop, the emitter at least must not be made of a cast alloy. This is not a conclusion reached just from denting this one piece in my die, this is something that's happened from dropping on the ground, this has happened despite annealing; this has happened across the spectrum of casting alloys I have used in each iteration of casts I've made. It just cannot be. If it is able to crack then it is then able to break off completely.

20230208_161053.jpg

Finally, after all my trials, it is definitive here that the emitter cannot be a cast piece if it is able to sustain such damage while remaining wholly intact. This then implies that the emitter on the V2 was a replacement. For what reason, who can say? It's likely that it's something as mundane as what I've encountered making these more than something mechanical or planned out. The emitter plate is just easy to breaking or not filling in properly.

That asks another question: so, what else can it be? Steel? Maybe, but there's no sign of rust. A harder, rare-earth metal? Unlikely, this is something that has to be in a studio workshop, after all. Could it be a tougher pot metal, like zamack? Possible, but just for the emitter? No, the XRF results shows that the cast are made from 4145/A, and while brazing and light welding work may have been in the studio by builders and the like, the amount of hilts made for the production (at the very least 4), and the amount of work and resources needed to make them, implies these were contracted to an outside source that already had the labor and supply ready. (I currently believe it was outsourced to the same place that cast the E-11 Bapty/Tunisia stunt parts and the Artoo arms).

That leaves only one candidate, something readily available on-hand in a studio workshop to grab and work on should anything get damaged on the casts, particularly the emitter...

Yes, everyone's done it by now except me, but I needed to be absolutely sure at this point: good ol' stock aluminium! It's proven to be able to take the damage without crumbling to pieces by way of every V2 replica made by other makers. It's something that would've been available and meets every criteria needed that the V2 needs to meet.

Measurements and scale of the replacement emitter? I just grabbed them from the other cast! The final machined emitter looks a bit different than the cast one because it doesn't have the rounded edges that the cast piece does, despite me taking measurements directly from it to make the replacement.

Because I'm doing a V2, I have to have the smaller emitter plate, despite it being machined from stock with the adequate girth to leave a larger emitter plate like the original cast. Why would the replacement emitter be smaller? Who knows? Maybe it was the size of stock they had to work with. Anyone's guess is as good as another's on that topic.

20230208_211440.jpg
20230208_211531.jpg

20230208_211704.jpg

With that figured, from here on, it's back to the basic machining practices I've developed for boring out the internals. My next update on this will probably be finishing and assembling the V2 hilt, and getting to work on the V3.

Are we able to purchase a hilt made from 4145/A or did you use all the material you got for the two hilts casted? Not familiar with US measurements :unsure:

SteuerEule There's only enough material to cast maybe three full hilts and I've only made these two so far for my own collection. Making and offering 4145/A hilts wouldn't be impossible, but it would be severely limited. I'm kind of hesitant to even give it thought. The stuff isn't healthy to work with and it's incredibly expensive (it was near 1000 USD for just my 5 kilo supply), and working off of what I know now, it's even more labor intensive to make the V2 than I originally had figured now that I have to machine another emitter out of stock for it.

If I were to offer these, they would have to be fully finished by me and would likely be affordable to those high-rollers that can afford things like real-world, vintage Ben Kenobi Hero lightsabers. The cost for one of these fully accurate stunt hilts would definitely be somewhere in the price range of one or two of those rarer vintage parts. If my health is gonna be put on the line for something as stupid as these replicas, I'm gonna be damn sure I'm well compensated for it (and likely future medical bills).

Possible, but certainly not practical, I think. But, if anyone's got the dough, let me know. ;)

SteuerEule There's only enough material to cast maybe three full hilts and I've only made these two so far for my own collection. Making and offering 4145/A hilts wouldn't be impossible, but it would be severely limited. I'm kind of hesitant to even give it thought. The stuff isn't healthy to work with and it's incredibly expensive (it was near 1000 USD for just my 5 kilo supply), and working off of what I know now, it's even more labor intensive to make the V2 than I originally had figured now that I have to machine another emitter out of stock for it.

If I were to offer these, they would have to be fully finished by me and would likely be affordable to those high-rollers that can afford things like real-world, vintage Ben Kenobi Hero lightsabers. The cost for one of these fully accurate stunt hilts would definitely be somewhere in the price range of one or two of those rarer vintage parts. If my health is gonna be put on the line for something as stupid as these replicas, I'm gonna be damn sure I'm well compensated for it (and likely future medical bills).

Possible, but certainly not practical, I think. But, if anyone's got the dough, let me know. ;)

Totally understandable! It was a wild ride for you and in the end you have something very unique, even compared to a real parts Obi hero. The V2 of V2s so to say. I can’t wait to see the final results.

This is it, folks. The first stunt hilts made in near 50 years off of the original pattern, in the original material (that we know of), and in the original construction methods. For now, this project and this thread is finally finished.

Wish I had more to say on these, but they were done in the way I've been making them from my runs. The results really speak for themselves. Every detail has been properly dialed in thanks to the proper scale I now can work at with 4145/A. Again, the only issues here are my own mistakes as a clumsy machinist (my V2's "maker's mark" and cone knob are just a tad higher than they ought to be).

20230222_204351.jpg

(V2 is in my preferred orientation: SWCA clamp, and "Emperor's throne" emitter; V3 is in the standard exhibition tour orientation)

20230222_204413.jpg
20230222_204433.jpg
20230222_204450.jpg
20230222_204644.jpg
20230222_204722.jpg

20230222_204905.jpg
20230222_204818.jpg

There always seems to be trade-offs when I go about making these things; one thing will turn out great and something else I'll just flub and have to deal with. With this, my custom clamp lever came out perfect--super proud of it-- and then my emitter, which I was initially very proud of, when it came to denting the thing, I fall short of cutting the mustard. I've focused on all the other things to get right with the V2: it's material composition, its machining qualities, and comparative tensile strength, that when it finally came to actually being able to dent an emitter made out of something that could withstand the abuse, I abused it too much! After all my talks about cracks and fissures occurring in casting alloys, I end up denting one side of my emitter face too far and it cracked! There, too, it seems, is indeed a limit to how far I can abuse this stock aluminium emitter. Admittedly, when it comes to this particular detail, I've not much experience in doing it successfully on my previous hilts as they couldn't take it. So when it came to this, I over-compensated after I saw that the aluminium could bend, and a similar problem happened.

I'm okay with it for now, but this little fracture is enough for me to consider making another emitter from scratch. It's also got me wondering if it couldn't be made from steel instead.

20230222_210228.jpg
20230222_204951.jpg

(Paint chips were applied by hand by roughly eye-balling Trooper_trent stencils, and then chipping the edges as I normally do)

20230222_205034.jpg
20230222_205102.jpg
20230222_205119.jpg
20230222_205146.jpg

V3 is very straight-forward here: lightly machine the clamp section and then take further material off with a rasp and sandpaper. The technique is applied similarly to the rest of the hilt.

20230222_205229.jpg
20230222_205304.jpg
20230222_205446.jpg

(copper color is my own acrylic mix, and clamp card is just a strip of brass with electrical tape)

20230222_205330.jpg
20230222_205403.jpg

Final acknowledgements for help getting this project to this point go to a great number of people, but for me, they mainly go to these folks:

vadermania - For his continued support of sharing information on this and many previous (and likely future) projects freely, openly, and kindly.
LOM - His exhaustive research on the stunt hilts and dogged determination in collating extant information into a cohesive history
Mouse Vader - His extensive research into the motorized stunt Graflex, the info of which was transferable to this project, and his help in my early forays into foundry casting.
BRRogers - His contributions in not just finding and resolving long-time mysteries (the "chunk") but also putting money where his mouth is and equally testing the myriad hypotheses about the construction of the stunt hilts, and openly sharing his results and mistakes.
DaveP -The organization and quality of his own independent research that has helped verify or dispel a number of ideas across three lightsabers.
SethS - For actually compiling his compendium, creating a resource that codifies the history of research of all the OT lightsaber hilts into one place.

Romans Empire roygilsing Anakin Starkiller slothfurnace for their continued contributions to numerous projects with their replica parts and pieces.

Halliwax and thd9791--the RND crew for numerous props--for their continued determination/obsession in all things apocryphal and niche, whose discourse has lead to the support or debunking of long-held ideas (and stirring up new ones).

And, of course, to everyone that's followed not just this thread but supported my project run over the span of five tumultuous years.

Attachments

• 20230222_205245.jpg
    20230222_205245.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230222_204411.jpg
    20230222_204411.jpg
    751.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
At the time of writing this, I literally just finished painting these no more than 15 minutes ago. I just had to take a photo and make a post about it here.

EDITED: Just got the clamp card in the mail and finished the hilt properly! Updated the photo and post accordingly.

20230501_152142.jpg

(I absolutely hate painting these things!)

These are the latest, and quite possibly, last V2's made with original materials. It was a real pain to get the amount of 4145/A just for these, and one supplier said no one else in the country has them in the amounts I needed in supply. The one I did get it from had only just enough for me to get by with the extra I had saved from my previous melt.

The alloy is not used for much any more and the supply is scant (the minimum order just to import it into the country without a loss was 300 lbs.), so I'm really pleased with how these have turned out. These two are better than the one I kept for myself! These actually have vintage clamps along with vintage boot studs, and I've found that there really is no better fit to these than the real deal.

Soon there's going to be two more people on Earth with fully accurate V2 replicas.

Attachments

• 20230430_202424.jpg
    20230430_202424.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Had a little bit of time this month and made one of these for a member here, as he's been a great supporter of the project since the start and couldn't get a V2 when I was making them with my lineage pattern.

This isn't made with the original material (it does contain trace amounts of it, however), it's made with my standard supply of casting aluminium. It does incorporate the measurements and details from my research, though, like the stock emitter, so it's more like a "hybrid" V2; a middle ground hilt between my "Lineage Cast" and "Original '76 hilts."

This piece came out a little dirtier than I like and hoped for, and there are still some quirks about the cast that couldn't be avoided and had to be worked around, but I'm still happy with the results, particularly the emitter and grenade rings.

20230928_195020.jpg

pictures from this thread popped up on my homepage and you've got me re-excited about these projects. Going to post current-day state of Tom's Pcubed sabers

I recently made a V3 Stunt hilt on private commission. I rarely get to make these now so it was a bit a of a treat to get to do one again.

This particular cast hilt came out extremely clean (give or take a few noticeable pockmarks); something I wish I could replicate repeatedly! The exception was the pommel. I cast it a couple times and the latter attempt looked great from the outside, but once I started cutting into it, it showed a lot more gas had entered the melt than I had hoped for.

20240325_095817.jpg

WOW very nicely done. It looks like... solid metal lol I know it is, just the lack of pockmarks or gas makes it look like stock

Why the two grooves in the steel shaft?

Why the two grooves in the steel shaft?

One is for the blade grub screw, the other is there because this shaft came from something else and I just cut the excess on either ends off. The cut nearest the emitter was added after the fact. It just felt more idiomatic to the original props to use and reuse what I have available.

One is for the blade grub screw, the other is there because this shaft came from something else and I just cut the excess on either ends off. The cut nearest the emitter was added after the fact. It just felt more idiomatic to the original props to use and reuse what I have available.
Makes a ton of sense, I do the same thing.
Other fun question - what machine setup differences have you found to bore further, safer? I remember your early casts, cutting the emitter was safer/easier to bore straight

... what machine setup differences have you found to bore further, safer?

For the V2, I have a boring bar that only just fits my lathe set up to cut it as much as I can now. It's not a great deal more, though-- about 1.5 to 2 more inches than what I could do starting out.

To drill through from the front on the V3 stunts, though, I just take a drill bit and put that into a tool holder/clamp and use feed wheel to bore. Not exactly safe but with the limited real estate on my bench lathe, it works for me as ghetto as it is. I just have to cut enough away from the V3's clamp section to keep it in the steady-rest without jostling too much when it spins.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back