Lindelof Star Wars film

I think people are over thinking it.

We've had the RJ Trilogy announced
Taika's movie announced
Rogue Squadron announced and pulled
Kevin Feige's trilogy announced
And Obi Wan movie announced and turned to a series
A boba gett movie announced and turned to a series.

Weren't the GoT's guys doing a trilogy at one point, too?

I also thinking i'm forgetting another movie.

All of them have sorta vanished into the ether or become a tv show. Either LFL is driving them all away, they can't find anyone who'll create something good, or all had 'differences' of some sort. To announce all that and have 0 movies past the script stage at this point doesn't give me much reason to believe this will be any different.

You know, looking at that list, just maybe they should actually get to the casting phase before announcing something. They're turning themselves into a joke at this rate 'the studio who cried movie', not to be confused with the fable 'the boy who cried wolf'. Because, in the fable, the wolf eventually showed up.

We are in such an instant response world right now that ideas get floated to see the response.

I think of Rogue One. Imagine hearing about a Star Wars movie were all the main characters die.

but we didn't get that.

instead we get, " look! We are hiring an ***insert superficial characteristic here***" buzz for movies.

and then, when someone criticises it, prepare for a lecture on how it is really a reflection of some kind of "...ism."

The irony is that criticism is actually the EXACT OPPOSITE. And I hope the financial blow back will eventually put an end to it.

Cavil's Superman left me wanting more.

Mandolorian, a great, back-to-roots series.

And when you hope they are turning the corner, WA-POW! Boba dance scene.

Did you watch the show first? The movie?

Then read the original comic?

The movie, the comic, were not for kids.

Watching the characters from the comic being brought to life in the movie, being true to their comic versions, was magic. And then there is the extended version which includes the comic pirate story added to it with the parallels.

I actually prefer the movie without the alien octopus; much more credible to see Manhattan showing his breaking point --like a parent telling their child, "I can give you something to *REALLY* cry about."

The first episode of the show had zero to do with the comic or the movie, it was taking advantage of the comic and movie's popularity to push its own agenda. This is happening wayyy too much in the entertainment industry. The only way to regulate this is to vote with your wallet and let those abortions die.

I seem to remember a Banana Splits movie that turned out to be a horror flick. Other than the characters *looking* like the original characters it was nothing like the fun-loving, show. It bombed. It DESERVED to bomb
The Banana Splits.. now thats another level or just bright young things still getting over an acid trip from the night before..

Thats something Lindenholm could only aspire to writing..

I'd go see it for the crack if it had lines like

"Size of an Elephant"

But the woke brigade might jump All over that :/

Alan Moore...disagrees.
Interestingly, Alan Moore doesn't get to dictate to me what I do and do not enjoy. :) I really enjoyed the show and what it was trying to do. I wasn't especially fussed about how true to the original material/characters it stayed (although I did appreciate that Ozymandius was doing the squids thing again). It was an interesting show. I'm fine with it only having been one season, though. I don't know that there needed to be more to it. Some stories should just be told and then...that's that. The story's done.

That said, I agree with Moore's long-held belief that the original Watchmen works best as a single-volume graphic novel. The static page is a lot better for conveying the story than the cinematic experience, even if you factor in the Tales from the Black Freighter bit (I never watched that version, though). Visually, the film was very faithful to the books, at least in terms of the really well known splash pages and imagery and such, but it just...loses something in translation. That's ok, though. I still have my TPB of it that I can read whenever I please.

No, I read the comic when it originally came out. Didn't care for it one bit. Sorry, I'm not one of these people that stick Alan Moore up on some pedestal. Didn't like Watchmen and honestly I didn't really care for The Dark Knight Returns. It's long and boring and the artwork is abysmal. I could draw better than that when I was in the 1st grade. TDKR would've been better as a novel so I wouldn't have had to suffer through that godawful artwork. The only Alan Moore stuff I was really interested in was the twist he put on Swamp Thing. That whole bit of him not being a man who was turned into a plant, but instead just a ghost haunting some plant life was very cool.

As far as the Watchmen tv show, maybe I liked it because it pretty much had nothing to do with that over rated comic.
It's helpful to remember the rest of the superhero comics landscape back in the mid-80s when these two were released, though. They were groundbreaking, deconstructionist takes on the superhero myth, and really shook up people's perspectives. I do agree that Frank Miller's art style is weird, though, and I far prefer the art in Watchmen for its clean lines and believable physical forms.

I enjoy the comic a great deal for what it is, but I also came to it waaaaaaaaaay later, in my late 20s. I find it an enjoyable read, but I also get where folks might be turned off by it. It's one of those things where I think one can appreciate the intellectual conceit of the whole endeavor, while also not necessarily enjoying it. Like, I've said for years that Eric Clapton is technically an amazing guitarist, but his work just...doesn't move me (Layla doesn't count -- that's all down to Duane Allman and that piano).

TDKR was interesting, but I agree that the art style is kind of grating. Miller's art style was apparent, but much less out-there when he was drawing Daredevil (I think it worked better when Dave Mazucchelli took over, though).
I think people are over thinking it.

We've had the RJ Trilogy announced
Taika's movie announced
Rogue Squadron announced and pulled
Kevin Feige's trilogy announced
And Obi Wan movie announced and turned to a series
A boba gett movie announced and turned to a series.

Weren't the GoT's guys doing a trilogy at one point, too?

I also thinking i'm forgetting another movie.

All of them have sorta vanished into the ether or become a tv show. Either LFL is driving them all away, they can't find anyone who'll create something good, or all had 'differences' of some sort. To announce all that and have 0 movies past the script stage at this point doesn't give me much reason to believe this will be any different.

You know, looking at that list, just maybe they should actually get to the casting phase before announcing something. They're turning themselves into a joke at this rate 'the studio who cried movie', not to be confused with the fable 'the boy who cried wolf'. Because, in the fable, the wolf eventually showed up.
I don't think it's necessarily that they've "vanished" as much as that a lot of the people on the list being busy with other projects. Rian Johnson has been doing a TV show and the Knives Out sequel, so he's been pretty busy. Taika's film I thought was announced more recently. The GoT film isn't happening, though. I think that's because those two guys became poison given how badly GoT wrapped. Probably that's what happened to Rogue Squadron, too, after WW84 underperformed.

I'll grant you that the more time passes, the less likely I think it is that Rian Johnson does his trilogy (which is a shame), but it could also end up happeninglater. COVID also really threw a monkeywrench into everything production-wise, and scrambled people's schedules.

I'm giving this movie 6 months to a year before they announce that it's shelved indefinitely.
Maybe. I do think that endless announcements of "an unnamed film with XYZ director" are pretty pointless now. Even if you were doing it just to manipulate investors, at this point I'd say that people will approach it with a "boy who cried wolf" point of view. "Oh look. Another announced project? Riiiiight. Don't bother me until you at least have set pictures, some cast to announce, or even just a friggin' title."

No one said that.

...but watch out. He IS a wizard, you know.
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm just saying I've reached a point where I'm a lot less concerned with what the original author thinks of XYZ project. Moore is also notoriously against his stuff being made into any kind of film or TV show. Which, you know, is fine. I mean, I get where he's coming from. The story, as he told it, works better (usually) as a written work with static art. But that's kind of the point of adaptations; they aren't meant to be 100% faithful recreations.

Anyway, I'm rambling here.

Solo4114 i'm not going to quote all that :)

I'll just say to me it's a sign of SW falling down the mountain big time. There was a time not all that long ago where people would drop what they were doing to get in and be able to do SW.

R1 went off more or less fine, then you hit suit order reshoots, still, end product was good.
Sequels - not going there, but 8 and 9 had their share of production isssues, still got put out on time
Solo - again, not going there, but had huge production issues, fired directors, reshot almost the whole thing, still go it out relatively on time.

Since then? At the absolute best you have lots of people who'd rather do other things first or simply decided they didn't want to do SW at all - whether that's the studio thought they were no longer up to it, or those people didn't want to work with LFL, we won't ever know. Neither is good. The implication is they can't work with anyone or no one wants to work with them because they're to annoying to work with.

Right now, i figure there's a 10% shot a best that anything from the list makes it to the big screen.

As for RJ's trilogy - it was originally described as during the OT just 'elsewhere'. Big whoop. Who know how that all went down and ended and we saw it through the lens of those leading the fight. I can't see any point to watching the B team take 3 flicks to take down a side objective. The only possible thing of interest there would be if it was maybe stealing the 2nd death stars plans, which would essentially be a 3 film redo of R1 - so, why?

If someone wants to be successful with star wars the best, if not only, bet is to go to an era not dealt with. The Old Republic, maybe the High Republic, a few hundred years post ST - just get totally away from what's been establish and do your own thing. You can still have good guys and bad guys and jedi and evil jedi/sith/whatever to make it star wars, but get away from the established stuff. Trying to work with the established characters is just going to annoy a large subset of your audience. Why go out of your way to start in the hole?

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm just saying I've reached a point where I'm a lot less concerned with what the original author thinks of XYZ project. Moore is also notoriously against his stuff being made into any kind of film or TV show. Which, you know, is fine. I mean, I get where he's coming from. The story, as he told it, works better (usually) as a written work with static art. But that's kind of the point of adaptations; they aren't meant to be 100% faithful recreations.

And, of course, Moore has made a career of using characters created by other people to tell deconstructionist stories (Marvelman, the members of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.). Double-standard, I guess.

Solo4114 If someone wants to be successful with star wars the best, if not only, bet is to go to an era not dealt with. The Old Republic, maybe the High Republic, a few hundred years post ST - just get totally away from what's been establish and do your own thing. You can still have good guys and bad guys and jedi and evil jedi/sith/whatever to make it star wars, but get away from the established stuff. Trying to work with the established characters is just going to annoy a large subset of your audience. Why go out of your way to start in the hole?

Young Qui-Gon Jinn, before he became a Jedi, is a Republic Soldier full of piss and vinegar bent on finding the Sith Lord who killed his brother, Quinrod. Everyone believes the Sith Lord is dead except for Qui-Gon who is obsessive, cruel and ruthless in his quest across every system in search for revenge. For his success in battle Qui-Gon is sent to the Jedi Academy on Walinor but then, before the ship enters the atmosphere, he inexplicably steals an escape pod and launches himself into deep space to cross the galaxy at sublight speed.

Soon his escape pod comes upon another derelict space pod (what are the odds of that?) full of survivors, but then they are attacked by a giant space monster who kills the entire crew except for a beautiful girl named, Salibrand...

(Somewhere there is a slow motion sequence of Qui-Gon happily riding a galloping tauntaun.)

... Salibrand helps weaponsmiths forge the first lightsabers using kyber crystals. (Later she will secretly make one lightsaber to rule them all.)

Last edited:
I nominate Alan Moore to be put in charge of the next Star Wars movie.
I think we've had enough of gritty :lol:

Seriously though: I think it's time that movies let heroes be heroes and to just stop with either grit-o-rama or the message. Neither work; just ask Terminator: Wet Fart Dark Fate.

Solo4114 i'm not going to quote all that :)

I'll just say to me it's a sign of SW falling down the mountain big time. There was a time not all that long ago where people would drop what they were doing to get in and be able to do SW.

R1 went off more or less fine, then you hit suit order reshoots, still, end product was good.
Sequels - not going there, but 8 and 9 had their share of production isssues, still got put out on time
Solo - again, not going there, but had huge production issues, fired directors, reshot almost the whole thing, still go it out relatively on time.

Since then? At the absolute best you have lots of people who'd rather do other things first or simply decided they didn't want to do SW at all - whether that's the studio thought they were no longer up to it, or those people didn't want to work with LFL, we won't ever know. Neither is good. The implication is they can't work with anyone or no one wants to work with them because they're to annoying to work with.

Right now, i figure there's a 10% shot a best that anything from the list makes it to the big screen.

As for RJ's trilogy - it was originally described as during the OT just 'elsewhere'. Big whoop. Who know how that all went down and ended and we saw it through the lens of those leading the fight. I can't see any point to watching the B team take 3 flicks to take down a side objective. The only possible thing of interest there would be if it was maybe stealing the 2nd death stars plans, which would essentially be a 3 film redo of R1 - so, why?

If someone wants to be successful with star wars the best, if not only, bet is to go to an era not dealt with. The Old Republic, maybe the High Republic, a few hundred years post ST - just get totally away from what's been establish and do your own thing. You can still have good guys and bad guys and jedi and evil jedi/sith/whatever to make it star wars, but get away from the established stuff. Trying to work with the established characters is just going to annoy a large subset of your audience. Why go out of your way to start in the hole?
Yeah, I don't know what's going on. That said, I think it could be more than just "Directors don't really care about Star Wars."

Your theory (and I get that it's just speculation -- as it is for me) would make sense if Disney/LFL is actively trying to get people to work on their stuff, but everyone's just too busy to care. I think it's just as likely that Disney/LFL isn't actually able to follow through, or is shifting its own priorities away from film and towards television and supporting the Disney+ platform.

Like, they get the director, the director is interested, and then...Disney/LFL doesn't actually take enough concrete steps to make it really happen. So, the director has the choice to either sit and wait, or, you know, go make a living. And some of that may be because the stuff Disney is really following through on is (A) Marvel stuff, and (B) streaming content in the form of shows.

Now, personally, I'm totally fine with a shift towards longer-form storytelling as TV shows or limited series or whathaveyou. I think they work better for storytelling in the Star Wars universe than the films do.

I do agree, though, that it's time to move Star Wars into its own future. Post-sequel trilogy, I mean. What comes after the Empire and the NuEmpire? What becomes of the galaxy and the heroes of the sequel era? Or, while I'd love to see more from the actors who were in the sequel films and their characters, maybe the mixed reception is actually a golden opportunity to push the franchise well beyond the post-sequel era, to a point where we have an entirely new galaxy in front of us, with new conflicts, new characters, and new approaches to storytelling all within the Star Wars universe.

Star Wars is, ultimately, a setting, and one that is (I think) a LOT more flexible than most people realize. You can make a universe recognizably "Star Wars" without requiring the use of white-armored faceless troopers, Empire-and-Rebel stand-ins, and even Light-and-Dark-Side Jedi and Sith. There are shades of grey to explore beyond all of that.

And, of course, Moore has made a career of using characters created by other people to tell deconstructionist stories (Marvelman, the members of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.). Double-standard, I guess.
Good point!
Young Qui-Gon Jinn, before he became a Jedi, is a Republic Soldier full of piss and vinegar bent on finding the Sith Lord who killed his brother, Quinrod. Everyone believes the Sith Lord is dead except for Qui-Gon who is obsessive, cruel and ruthless in his quest across every system in search for revenge. For his success in battle Qui-Gon is sent to the Jedi Academy on Walinor but then, before the ship enters the atmosphere, he inexplicably steals an escape pod and launches himself into deep space to cross the galaxy at sublight speed.

Soon his escape pod comes upon another derelict space pod (what are the odds of that?) full of survivors, but then they are attacked by a giant space monster who kills the entire crew except for a beautiful girl named, Salibrand...

(Somewhere there is a slow motion sequence of Qui-Gon happily riding a galloping tauntaun.)

... Salibrand helps weaponsmiths forge the first lightsabers using kyber crystals. (Later she will secretly make one lightsaber to rule them all.)
Is this a reference to something? Or are you just riffing here?

Is this a reference to something? Or are you just riffing here?

The notion of going back to a prior era for stories as a solution just reminded me of something...

SWRoP.jpg

(It's Rings of Power)

So Disney is making yet another piece of media with the name Star Wars slapped on it and people are upset that Lindelof is attached!?
c6d4d162-5251-4377-a081-03fd9b39412d_text.gif

Also Moore claims that many of the actual readers of Watchmen did not get it either

for example, regarding Rorschach
"I was thinking, well, everybody will understand that this is satirical. I’m making this guy a mumbling psychopath who clearly smells, who lives on cold baked beans, who has no friends because of his abhorrent personality. I hadn’t realized that so many people in the audience would find such a figure admirable."

And regarding him watching any adaptations of his work culminating in a letter from LIndelof...

"I assume you still haven’t seen any of the adaptations of your work.

I would be the last person to want to sit through any adaptations of my work. From what I’ve heard of them, it would be enormously punishing. It would be torturous, and for no very good reason. There was an incident—probably a concluding incident, for me. I received a bulky parcel, through Federal Express, that arrived here in my sedate little living room. It turned out to contain a powder blue barbecue apron with a hydrogen symbol on the front.

And a frank letter from the showrunner of the Watchmen television adaptation, which I hadn’t heard was a thing at that point."

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back