LFL v SDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by TMP@Feb 12 2006, 11:14 AM
Hey guy... I am do not really understand the technical issues of this.
Its to much info for me to get grip of what is happening..

Does this mean I should go NOW and Buy a helmet before it is to late?
Or is it to Late to buy a helmet? Please advice.. Send me a Pm if possible because I do not understand English writing and grammar with legal words that much :)

Sew me if you think I am stupid  :D hehe
BTW.. Did a spellcheck.. If you dont understand... Sew Microsoft.  :lol
[snapback]1182382[/snapback]​
This is just my opinion now. Save your money. No one knows how long AA will even be in business after all of this. You're better off keeping your money here in the RPF. He has had some QC issues last I recall that I haven't seen resolved yet, and when LFL finally crushes him, I doubt these people will be able to recoup whatever losses they have had.

Well guys its amazing how many different spins I have heard on this case about why he defaulted. Did anyone think that maybe his team of lawyers discovered that the moulds weren't quite as original as he claimed? Once they discovered that fact decided it was better to throw in the towel. Then waste good money on a case that couldn't be won. Or maybe AA decided it would be better not pay more money to lawyers and try to keep the nice sum of cash he just made stealing his former clients intellectual property.

Bottom line by defaulting AA basically admitted the following:

His molds aren't original.
He had no rights to produce the helmets or armor.
He stole the artwork of the imperial cog.

Thats basically the bottom line. Many here thought he was going to come up with some great defense about how he has the rights. That never came to light. AA basically was guy a that was contracted by LFL to fabricate their helmets and in fact was paid for it as AA has said. He then in a very unprofessional manner took his cients intellectual property and make some large profits from it.

Small update as of last week (March 2, 2006) the Judge granted the LFL request for default judgment, case over...

So now LFL gets to toss a figure at the Judge and see if he will award that amount...

Docket Report

Dr S,

I think you'll find that my first post in this thread was.......

Originally posted by BingoBongo275@Feb 10 2006, 10:35 AM
In all honesty did anyone here expect anything other than this? Did people REALLY think that David was going to visit Goliath?  :rolleyes

It all comes down to whether LFL are able to get the UK Courts to enforce the costs of a US Judgements, and with respect I donÂ’t think anyone here has an understanding of whether thatÂ’s achievable or not. IÂ’m presuming we donÂ’t have any experts on international law here?

Cheers

Jez
[snapback]1180650[/snapback]​

So I'm not sure what's changed. The case has defaulted in California and the Judge needs to award a value and then LFL needs to get the UK courts to execute on it (working within the constraints of the Hague convention one can presume)

Oh wait - I already said that :lol

Is that the best bit of baiting you can do?

Cheers

Jez

Now, now Joe. ;)

I am sure some of our members will be along shortly to put their spin on things. :lol

Guys, I want to see him slapped down hard like the next fella, but nothing has really changed here. We knew it would be ruled a default, that was part of the plan. The only thing is it is now official. We just have to wait and see two things; How much will the judge award LFL and how much will the UK courts, following the Hague, REALLY award LFL.

No use rubbing it in yet...still the same holding pattern as last month.

Please forgive a stupid question (I can't seem to open the latest PDF to seak clarification) I'm just unclear on something.

If Lucas says for SDS to pay X amount in damages, and SDS agrees to pay it...is Andrew Ainsworth still going to sell recast armour and helmets from prototype moulds?

What I mean is, is there anything in there for SDS to cease making anything related to Star Wars? Or will that come later? Or what?

Cheers.
TJ

Well, ym understanding - limited as it may be - is that AA was issued a C&D a while ago that he basically ignored. Now with the default, LFL has a right to XX amount of dollars for each and every infringement. So, if AA keeps making these things and selling them on the open market, the fines/reparations keep piling up.

He will probably declare bankruptcy, or the UK equivalent thereof.

Correct. With this ruling in favor of LFL it would probably not be financially feasible for AA to continue to openly market the stuff... even if his prices were suddently more ridiculously priced than they have been. In fact, pending the final amount to be awarded to LFL, it may not even be financially feasible for AA to even keep his shop open at all.

One thing has me curious through this whole debacle. Who that has posted on one side of the issue or the other is actually a lawyer? I've stated many times I am not.

Qui,

Since victory for LFL was via default, the judge has most probably awarded the full amount asked for in LFL's complaint. I can't recall the amount but it is in the LFL docs. As for the UK, it will still be a big number, even after the inevitable reduction.

For those who don't understand, this case is done. AA lost. The UK court will only get to rule on how much LFL can get there. LFL has no need to file a fresh suit there so AA will not get to put on a full case, just evidence related to the decision of damages.

At my firm, we see this all the time. It is the scammer's way of extending their time to sell and then run with whatever money they can get and hide. AA defaulted because he had no case. The argument of "it is expensive to fight an international suit so he bailed to fight it in the UK" holds little water as his only real "extra" cost is phone and perhaps airfare if he chose to come over and he won't get to fight in the UK anyway. Otherwise, his cost is the same as you or I here in the states to fight a suit.

Anyone clinging to the hope/belief that AA is gonna whip out evidence of molds etc and win the day need to invest in that bridge in Brooklyn.

He is gonna sell till damage amounts are decided in the UK and then vanish with any loot he can.

Just watch...

Which leads back to what I said earlier this page. All these folks who started having issues with mohawks coming loose, glue prints on items and such will be better off learning how to fix these things themselves and NOT toss another red cent AA's way.

-Edit- Oh, and if I recall, the amount was $20mil US.

Originally posted by BingoBongo275@Feb 10 2006, 10:35 AM
In all honesty did anyone here expect anything other than this? Did people REALLY think that David was going to visit Goliath?  :rolleyes

You did. Vehemently in emails and posts before the suit. Just making sure you know... that I was right all along. But you did admit it so I guess all is right in the world.

Originally posted by DrStranglove+Mar 7 2006, 08:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrStranglove @ Mar 7 2006, 08:59 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BingoBongo275
@Feb 10 2006, 10:35 AM

You did. Vehemently in emails and posts before the suit. Just making sure you know... that I was right all along. But you did admit it so I guess all is right in the world.
[snapback]1200854[/snapback]​
[/b]

More baiting?

I dont ever remember saying that AA would come over the the US and defend himself. Care to point out where I did?

Cheers

Jez

I find the whole situation very sad.

When the helmets first came out I came to accept that they were heavily modified originals or at least some parts of it were. I was still fairly happy because of the mans involvement with the project and still hoped there was some legal way out for him. But once the armour showed up that for the straw that broke the camels back for me. I realised then that any last glimmer of hope in the courts just went supernova :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back