The Star Wars discourse has gotten so messy and both sides are really to blame now.

We now have Prequel apologists and people rewriting history saying that people LOVED the prequels lol. While it may be looked back on a little more fondly for the memes (Hello there); they were still terrible movies for being so disjointed. This argument is also made for both why the Sequel trilogy will be hated and eventually loved...

There were toxic fans, mostly against the Anakins imo. Lloyd was bullied at school for playing Anakin which is really unfortunate. Christensen was also criticized. I think we can argue that modern actors like Tran suffer more insults thanks to the greater prevalence of social media and how easy it is to send out a tweet andtheir release of these fans do detract from properly critiquing a film or product as bad imo (dont insult or attack actors for doing their job).

But yeah, corporations are now using the excuse of toxic fans to justify their harsh attitudes. On the one hand, it is kind of cool that corporations are going to bat for their employees. But on the other, they are redirecting attention away from making bad products to put the onus on the consumers. Even critiques of "super hero movie fatigue" is a poor excuse for the MCU just releasing bad movies.

Ep#9 sold about 50% as many tickets as ep#7. The prequel fall-off was like half that bad.

The prequels were very frustrating but they didn't kill the franchise. I don't think there is room to debate it. There was still demand for more SW after the prequels, especially after a few years of rest. Whereas the sequels ended 5 years ago. The public appreciation for the sequels, and SW as a whole, has only dropped farther.

Disney spent a decade mostly strip-mining SW for quick dollars. I think that's a fair assessment. They chased short-term gains without feeding it creative nourishment and now it's pretty much dead.

Last edited:
Ep#9 sold about 50% as many tickets as ep#7. The prequel fall-off was like half that bad.

The prequels were very frustrating but they didn't kill the franchise. I don't think there is room to debate it. There was still demand for more SW after the prequels, especially after a few years of rest. Whereas the sequels ended 5 years ago. The public appreciation for the sequels, and SW as a whole, has only dropped farther.

Disney spent a decade mostly strip-mining SW for quick dollars. I think that's a fair assessment. They chased short-term gains without feeding it creative nourishment and now it's pretty much dead.
There was already a big drop from Force Awakens to Last Jedi (936M life time gross vs 620M) so the drop from last to rise is not as steep (532M).

Disney did already make $12B from star wars though so they did come out with a nice profit and can likely still milk fans by giving out the IP for games, rereleasing the OT and PT. I dont see the value in the tv shows but people seem to love Andor. Unless Disney suddenly needs money, they wont sell Star Wars and sadly, I dont think another studio would do the IP justice anyway.

The Star Wars discourse has gotten so messy and both sides are really to blame now.

We now have Prequel apologists and people rewriting history saying that people LOVED the prequels lol. While it may be looked back on a little more fondly for the memes (Hello there); they were still terrible movies for being so disjointed. This argument is also made for both why the Sequel trilogy will be hated and eventually loved...
A biiiiig part of that is that the people who were just kids when the PT came out -- for whom the PT was their Star Wars -- just...love it. Not because it's good, but because they love it. I would also argue that the kids who grew up with the Clone Wars cartoon especially dig the PT. As a result, they've become apologists for/defenders of the PT. For example, I've seen defenses online of the dialogue in the PT which was -- at least decades ago -- described as "wooden" almost universally. Now people describe it as "Shakespearean," which suggests to me that they've never really read Shakespeare with even a teensy bit of depth, and what they're responding to more is the somewhat stilted and artificial sounding lines. I do think that, stylistically, it's a kind of heightened melodrama (especially in Ep. 3), but it doesn't really jive with much of the other dialogue. This is true, however, in the OT as well, especially in ROTJ. There are some clunky scenes in ROTJ like when Leia talks with Luke and finds out she's his sister and gives that "Luke, run away. Run far away from here..." line. It's just...clunky. It's not "Shakespearean."

Shakespeare is archaic wording, but the actual dialogue and meaning is amazing, layered, and evinces keen insight into the human condition. "Hold me, Anakin. Hold me like you did by the lake" is....not that.

From my perspective, the PT is deeply flawed and uneven. I respect it for being truly the work of an auteur -- good or bad -- and not something designed by committee, but George needed more people around him telling him "no" and "that's a dumb idea, and we aren't gonna do it." However, having recently watched the entirety of the Clone Wars series in chronological order and then capped it off with ROTS...I can see why people dig the PT. Conceptually it's really cool, and I loved the Clone Wars cartoon overall. I still think ROTS handles Anakin's fall clumsily and way too abruptly, but the Clone Wars show helps a bunch with that (especially the final couple seasons). I think what you're seeing vis a vis the PT is a "halo effect" from the show.

There were toxic fans, mostly against the Anakins imo. Lloyd was bullied at school for playing Anakin which is really unfortunate. Christensen was also criticized. I think we can argue that modern actors like Tran suffer more insults thanks to the greater prevalence of social media and how easy it is to send out a tweet andtheir release of these fans do detract from properly critiquing a film or product as bad imo (dont insult or attack actors for doing their job).
Jake Lloyd was just a kid who did a gig. He didn't write his dialogue, nor did he have the experience and voice as an actor to say "Nah, I'm not gonna play this the way you're suggesting." I gather in the few other roles he'd appeared in pre-TPM, he was actually pretty good. This tracks with pretty much everyone's performance in the PT. No one is at the top of their game, although some are better than others. Hayden Christensen, I have maintained for years, is an incredibly talented actor. Watch him in Shattered Glass if you don't believe me. He's amazing. And what happened to Kelly Marie Tran was ****ing disgusting and shameful. You can take issue with the films she was in (I do, at least in the case of TROS), but she played her part well and I hope her experience in Star Wars doesn't keep her away from acting. She's got chops.
But yeah, corporations are now using the excuse of toxic fans to justify their harsh attitudes. On the one hand, it is kind of cool that corporations are going to bat for their employees. But on the other, they are redirecting attention away from making bad products to put the onus on the consumers. Even critiques of "super hero movie fatigue" is a poor excuse for the MCU just releasing bad movies.
I mean, there are crappy fans out there. There are "fans" who hate everything that comes out, which I gotta say makes me wonder if it's fair to call yourself a "fan." Not saying you have to love every aspect of a franchise, but at a certain point, when someone hates, like, 80% of what constitutes a franchise, I think at the very least you have to qualify what you're a fan of. Like, "I'm a fan of the old school Star Wars. Like, the stuff that came out in the 80s and whatnot." Oh, ok. Cool.
There was already a big drop from Force Awakens to Last Jedi (936M life time gross vs 620M) so the drop from last to rise is not as steep (532M).

Disney did already make $12B from star wars though so they did come out with a nice profit and can likely still milk fans by giving out the IP for games, rereleasing the OT and PT. I dont see the value in the tv shows but people seem to love Andor. Unless Disney suddenly needs money, they wont sell Star Wars and sadly, I dont think another studio would do the IP justice anyway.
So, one, Disney will never divest itself of Star Wars. It ain't gonna happen, folks. They won't get rid of Star Wars or Marvel or Aliens or Predator or any of the other properties they own, because...why would you? Why would you give your opponents the tools to make money, especially at your expense?

In terms of the popularity of the sequel era, I think it's possible that kids like my kid will take to them the way the PT generation did with the PT...but I think it's perhaps less likely. That's down to two major factors, though:

1. There's a lot more competition for eyeballs now. There's just...so much stuff for kids to get into anymore, and so much of it is available on demand, at will. In terms of Star Wars, my kid is enjoying the Clone Wars cartoon right now, but also loves the Lego Star Wars stuff because it's goofy, fun, and she gets to interact with the material in an easily digestible manner. Of the PT, she saw Episode 3 at her grandparents' house because it was on TV, and she liked it (even though it was sad), but she hasn't seen the other PT stuff and isn't super interested in it. She can't stand Jar Jar (I've taught her well :)). But she watches this stuff when she's not watching Percy Jackson or the Hercules cartoon series from the early 2000s or Bluey or whatever. She also burns out on things fast. Last year, Harry Potter was EVERYTHING....right up until she'd consumed all the content, and then she moved on to something else. She still likes it, but she's not so into it that it dominates everything she enjoys the way it did.

2. Disney's strategy has shifted away from the ST era almost entirely. There's been barely any content developed for it. There's Old Republic/PT-era stuff, there's "interquel" era stuff like Rebels and Andor and such, and there's OT-era stuff and stuff just after the OT era (e.g., Mando, Ahsoka, etc.). But the actual ST era itself has been pretty much left alone. Without other content around which to rally, I question just how into things todays kids will be. I mean, they'll likely remember the films more fondly than the rest of us grumpy greybeards do, but will they be fans of that stuff? Eh...I dunno. I'll also say that the ST now feels kind of...myopic when it's compared to pretty much everything else. It's got a very distinct style of its own, but it just feels so...self-contained and constrained. The First Order doesn't really feel like the Empire, but it has the Empire's vibes. But it doesn't have the Empire's history, so storytelling about its rise kinda doesn't work as well. It's this huge military power that seems to pop up out of nowhere, takes over the galaxy for, like, 3 years, and then is utterly defeated. It's this weird flash-in-the-pan experience, and because JJ didn't really seem to have much of a vision for the films beyond "We'll do the OT, but embiggened," it sort of feels like "Well....ok. guess that's all done with now." I mean, where do you go from there in terms of storytelling? Say what you will about TLJ, but at least it opened the possibility to taking the setting and story of the ST and spinning it out in a lot of different directions. You could take time to tell the story beyond what we saw, but then in swoops JJ to wrap it all up and tie a bow on it, and...now what? We're just gonna re-recycle the Empire/First Order/Final Order/Sith Eternal/Whatever-the-hell-the-bad-guys-are-now? Is it gonna be white-armored Space Nazis mk. 3?

To my way of thinking, the ST is a narrative failure not simply because I think the whole thing feels rushed, very uneven, and like a re-tread rollercoaster without a real core...but also because it seems to foreclose further storytelling. What the hell is Rey's trilogy (the one that's rumored, I mean) supposed to be about, anyway? What's the vision there? Where's the conflict? How do you introduce drama and threat and danger to the galaxy again?

This was one of the main problems with the ST, too, and it's one of the things that old school fans hate the most. ROTJ ends like a fairy tale "And they lived happily ever after." Except, they didn't. They lived pretty miserable lives of constant struggle, and then the galaxy and their personal lives burned down around them. You gonna do that again with Rey?

Plus, so much of what was introduced in the ST seemed barely fleshed out. I gather a bunch of stuff like comics and novels are working on that (e.g., providing greater clarity for who the hell the Knights of Ren are), but that doesn't really penetrate into the wider consciousness. You ask me, if Disney wants to go into that era again and go beyond it, they need to lay the groundwork with TV shows to establish the state of the galaxy, the players, the factions, the threats and conflicts, all of that. They need to do actual worldbuilding that can break thru to a wider audience. But they aren't. And that's a big part of why I think the ST is, at least for the foreseeable future, kind of a dead letter.

A biiiiig part of that is that the people who were just kids when the PT came out -- for whom the PT was their Star Wars -- just...love it. Not because it's good, but because they love it. I would also argue that the kids who grew up with the Clone Wars cartoon especially dig the PT. As a result, they've become apologists for/defenders of the PT. For example, I've seen defenses online of the dialogue in the PT which was -- at least decades ago -- described as "wooden" almost universally. Now people describe it as "Shakespearean," which suggests to me that they've never really read Shakespeare with even a teensy bit of depth, and what they're responding to more is the somewhat stilted and artificial sounding lines. I do think that, stylistically, it's a kind of heightened melodrama (especially in Ep. 3), but it doesn't really jive with much of the other dialogue. This is true, however, in the OT as well, especially in ROTJ. There are some clunky scenes in ROTJ like when Leia talks with Luke and finds out she's his sister and gives that "Luke, run away. Run far away from here..." line. It's just...clunky. It's not "Shakespearean."
Agree. Shakesphere's dialogue is quite rich with meaning. It is "stilted" by modern standards but that is because of its time period. In regard to PT fans, I think they have just come to accept the ham and cheese in the film. No one thinks the "I dont like sand" speech is good dialogue but its so bad its funny. Its become an inside joke as the best way to seduce someone. And while PT as a whole is quite bad, there are some truly classic and captivating moments.
Jake Lloyd was just a kid who did a gig. He didn't write his dialogue, nor did he have the experience and voice as an actor to say "Nah, I'm not gonna play this the way you're suggesting." I gather in the few other roles he'd appeared in pre-TPM, he was actually pretty good. This tracks with pretty much everyone's performance in the PT. No one is at the top of their game, although some are better than others. Hayden Christensen, I have maintained for years, is an incredibly talented actor. Watch him in Shattered Glass if you don't believe me. He's amazing. And what happened to Kelly Marie Tran was ****ing disgusting and shameful. You can take issue with the films she was in (I do, at least in the case of TROS), but she played her part well and I hope her experience in Star Wars doesn't keep her away from acting. She's got chops.
Agree. I did see Shattered Glass and really changed my view of Christensen. His work on Star Wars was ok and he really wasnt good in Jumper but that was honestly kind of a bad film. I didnt really follow his career after but he was amazing in Shattered Glass. Its obvious he was a rising star and Star Wars ironically cut his legs from under him.

Given his training with the lightsaber prop and the various cut content from the PT saber battles, he does deserve more props. He did some cool action scenes like let go and catch his saber mid-air mid-duel against Dooku in Episode 3. I did think the final duel between Anakin and Obi Wan is still one of the best clashes in the series and Christensen really carries that duel since McGregor needs to be defensive. I havent seen other stuff by Tran to really assess but regardless, hate shouldnt be directed to the actors unless they did a bad job. Tran did the best with what she had. I didnt like it but she really had little to work with.

In terms of the popularity of the sequel era, I think it's possible that kids like my kid will take to them the way the PT generation did with the PT...but I think it's perhaps less likely.
The thing is Star Wars was also one of THE hype film series during its release for OT and PT. Yeah PT wasnt the best but there wasnt that much competition with it during its time. The films released in 2005 to compete with Episode 3 were Elektra, Fantastic Four, and Son of the Mask.

In comparison, the ST had to compete with the MCU. While it has really gone downhill recently, the MCU was THE film series to watch. When young people look back fondly on films in this era, I do think the majority will be thinking more about the MCU rather than Star Wars. I also think how you end a story really impacts how well it is remembered. PT ended quite strong with the duel, rise of Vader, and the rise of the empire. Yeah, Vader's Noooo is another meme and well as losing the will to live; episode 3 was still pretty well received. Rise of Skywalker is almost universally hated and is even clowned on by popular media. While there will likely always be fans for any story or property (hell, there are fans for The Room); I dont think ST will be as loved. I do think Disney also understands this which is why they are so focused on the OT era and are honestly exploiting current fans love of the new Filoni characters in that era (Ahsoka, Ezra).

I guess the Rey trilogy is meant to be a hail mary. I still think its a hail mary on Kennedy's part to still retain her position as head of Lucasfilm after Filoni's promotion and his rise that legitimately threatens her position. If Rey is more popular and can draw in more viewers than Filoni's Ahsoka, Kennedy can still run Star Wars. If not, Filoni will likely run Star Wars in all but name.

Agree. Shakesphere's dialogue is quite rich with meaning. It is "stilted" by modern standards but that is because of its time period. In regard to PT fans, I think they have just come to accept the ham and cheese in the film. No one thinks the "I dont like sand" speech is good dialogue but its so bad its funny. Its become an inside joke as the best way to seduce someone. And while PT as a whole is quite bad, there are some truly classic and captivating moments.
Yeah, there's some visually stunning stuff in each of the three films. Can't argue there. Some cool moments and neat ideas throughout. I just wish it had been better executed/presented. Ah well.
Agree. I did see Shattered Glass and really changed my view of Christensen. His work on Star Wars was ok and he really wasnt good in Jumper but that was honestly kind of a bad film. I didnt really follow his career after but he was amazing in Shattered Glass. Its obvious he was a rising star and Star Wars ironically cut his legs from under him.
That's what happens when you give up the high ground! :)
Given his training with the lightsaber prop and the various cut content from the PT saber battles, he does deserve more props. He did some cool action scenes like let go and catch his saber mid-air mid-duel against Dooku in Episode 3. I did think the final duel between Anakin and Obi Wan is still one of the best clashes in the series and Christensen really carries that duel since McGregor needs to be defensive. I havent seen other stuff by Tran to really assess but regardless, hate shouldnt be directed to the actors unless they did a bad job. Tran did the best with what she had. I didnt like it but she really had little to work with.
Yeah, I mean, I liked Rose as a character and generally like TLJ, but I think that given what she had, she performed well. She hasn't had a ton of other work since. She did Raya and the Last Dragon, but that kinda fizzled partially due to the pandemic.
The thing is Star Wars was also one of THE hype film series during its release for OT and PT. Yeah PT wasnt the best but there wasnt that much competition with it during its time. The films released in 2005 to compete with Episode 3 were Elektra, Fantastic Four, and Son of the Mask.

In comparison, the ST had to compete with the MCU. While it has really gone downhill recently, the MCU was THE film series to watch. When young people look back fondly on films in this era, I do think the majority will be thinking more about the MCU rather than Star Wars. I also think how you end a story really impacts how well it is remembered. PT ended quite strong with the duel, rise of Vader, and the rise of the empire. Yeah, Vader's Noooo is another meme and well as losing the will to live; episode 3 was still pretty well received. Rise of Skywalker is almost universally hated and is even clowned on by popular media. While there will likely always be fans for any story or property (hell, there are fans for The Room); I dont think ST will be as loved. I do think Disney also understands this which is why they are so focused on the OT era and are honestly exploiting current fans love of the new Filoni characters in that era (Ahsoka, Ezra).
Yep, very true. The landscape was fundamentally different for the PT. It was less crowded (even if it was more crowded than the OT landscape was).

I think Disney decided to play it safer on two fronts: (1) they're playing in and around the OT because they know that era is popular, and (2) they're playing primarily on TV because they can control the budgets better than with films.

One of the big issues with the Marvel movies recently has been that production-wise they've been a mess. The films themselves are almost immaterial in terms of content. Like 'em, don't like 'em, they did really good box office...but not as compared against their budgets, and a ton of that is down to executive auteurship and constant reshoots and F/X budgets. But either way, +$300M at the box office isn't a bad showing. It's bad by comparison to the budget and by comparison to past films, but it's not bad objectively speaking. If they'd spent $80-100M on it, that'd be a terrific performance.
I guess the Rey trilogy is meant to be a hail mary. I still think its a hail mary on Kennedy's part to still retain her position as head of Lucasfilm after Filoni's promotion and his rise that legitimately threatens her position. If Rey is more popular and can draw in more viewers than Filoni's Ahsoka, Kennedy can still run Star Wars. If not, Filoni will likely run Star Wars in all but name.
I dunno about that. I think she gave Filoni his new job. I don't think that's a threat to her. I don't see it as a power struggle between them. I don't know that Kennedy feels "ownership" over Rey the way Filoni does over Ahsoka, but I think there's more goodwill towards Ahsoka because she has a much more developed character and fans care about the character more. Rey showed up for three movies for which she spent most of her time running around on a never-ending roller-coaster ride. By contrast, Ahsoka had hundreds of hours of content about her, including plenty of introspection and other ways in which audiences have gotten to know her. There's just so much more there there with Ahsoka than there is with Rey. And that's purely a question of the character's longevity and and the formats in which she appeared.

I think the real question for Kennedy will be whether her leadership can produce profits for the company. Thus far, Filoni's work has all been kept on TV, where there isn't the direct "vote with your wallet" effect. People subscribe to D+ (and Disney XD before that), but they could be doing that for all kinds of stuff. You can sort of guess at popularity of this or that based on sales of toys and such, but there's nothing like individual ticket sales to tell you how many people affirmatively want to watch your stuff. As a result, while popular, Filoni's work has been insulated from that kind of direct scrutiny, and remains so.

The films produced under Kennedy made TONS of money, but she's also had some pretty high-profile production SNAFUs. And I think she's recognized that she doesn't have the vision for the story. She can do production (when she isn't picking the wrong writing/direction team, like Lord & Miller), but she doesn't have a good enough sense as a storyteller to really have a plan for the franchise the way someone like Kevin Feige does.

End result: her films make bank, but lack direction and focus. They end up being something weird between author-driven and committee-created.

I still maintain that while bringing back the OT cast made sense for getting butts in chairs, it was guaranteed to go the way it did where the audience was pissed about stuff. It was a mistake from a story perspective, even while it made sense business-wise, and it always made things WAY more difficult for telling a satisfying story. JJ didn't have the storytelling chops for that (thrills, sure. Story, no.), and Rian Johnson was sandwiched between two radically different films so his ends up sticking out like a sore thumb (even if I love it). The whole thing ends up being a mess. Meanwhile, Rogue One is well regarded by fans, but also suffered from production issues and story issues, and Solo was basically one movie for the price of two, given the reshoots.

And that's it. That's the entirety of the Star Wars film franchise under Kennedy. Everything else has been on TV (which I've largely enjoyed).

I don't agree that bringing back the OT heroes in the ST was inherently a doomed approach. It could have been done well. It just wasn't.

The worst I'd say is that the OT heroes needed to have limited screen time, and the public response would never be 100% positive. But I think it could have been 70% positive. What we got was more like 70% negative.

I don't agree that bringing back the OT heroes in the ST was inherently a doomed approach. It could have been done well. It just wasn't.

The worst I'd say is that the OT heroes needed to have limited screen time, and the public response would never be 100% positive. But I think it could have been 70% positive. What we got was more like 70% negative.

There is a proper way to pass the torch, and it's been done well many times. Most recently Picard S3 comes to mind. One of the last lines in the show was "the past matters". You can hand off to new blood, but the legacy has to be treated with respect.

EDIT: Maverick does it well too.

Not to derail everyone's conversation here.

But recently I've been going through the X-wing: Rogue Squadron comics. And I absolutely love them. They have all these little details I love.
20240312_160504.jpeg

Like kill marks on Wedge's X-wing.

20240319_163513.jpeg

A proper HUD for the X-wings.

20240313_232307.jpeg

Or Z-95 Headhunters.

A little BTS information on the Z-95. I first was introduced to it in The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.
20240320_092110.jpeg

Where it looked like this, with four circular engines.

It was first introduced to the "canon" in Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures.

20240319_203515.jpeg

But it was first illustrated in the WEG RPG, Tatooine Manhunt. Using an old Joe Johnston concept art.

KG_002.jpg

Which we can see here.

20240319_203605.jpeg

The design was slightly altered for the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. With that illustration being used for several years, before the updated version seen in The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels. (With that particular model called the Z-95 AF4.)

Not to derail everyone's conversation here.

But recently I've been going through the X-wing: Rogue Squadron comics. And I absolutely love them. They have all these little details I love. View attachment 1801784
Like kill marks on Wedge's X-wing.

View attachment 1801785
A proper HUD for the X-wings.

View attachment 1801786
Or Z-95 Headhunters.

A little BTS information on the Z-95. I first was introduced to it in The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.
View attachment 1801787

View attachment 1801790
But it was first illustrated in the WEG RPG, Tatooine Manhunt. Using an old Joe Johnston concept art.

View attachment 1801791
Which we can see here.

View attachment 1801792
The design was slightly altered for the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. With that illustration being used for several years, before the updated version seen in The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels. (With that particular model called the Z-95 AF4.)
I love the X Wing comics art! I almost almost all of them

View attachment 1801786
Or Z-95 Headhunters.

View attachment 1801787

View attachment 1801790

View attachment 1801791
Which we can see here.

And it was never intended to look anything like that. The written description in Han Solo at Star's End was very brief, it was said to have swing wings, two triple-blasters and a bubble cockpit. Brian Daley had apparently once said it was supposed to be reminiscent of a Lockheed P-38 Lightning, though that wasn't made clear in the book. West End Games basically used all movie production artwork to represent vehicles, characters, locations and devices in their role playing games, until eventually they ran out and used it all. At which point they started hiring artists to produce brand new original artwork from scratch, some of which ultimately became canon themselves.

Years later Mike Vilardi (who likely didn't know about Daley's reference to the P-38) drew a design for the WEG RPG Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook for the Z-95 Headhunter which was closest to the book description. Since the (Joe Johnston) "X-Wing type" Z-95's (from Tatooine Manhunt) looked nothing like either that or Daley's description, the EU writers came up with the idea that there were numerous different production models that ultimately evolved into what became the X-Wing Fighter (the Z-95 was considered the precurser model to the T-65 X-Wing)

So Vilardi's design was the Z-95 mk1 (the original that appeared in the Han Solo books) and the more common "X-Wing type" most of us find familiar ended up being the Z95t (specifically only from Tatooine Manhunt) and Z-95-AF4 (and there were numerous other variations in various EU sources, not all of which have been seen in picture form, most now currently relegated to EU Legends, including the HSE mk1) with the implication that each subsequent model started to look more and more like an X-Wing over time.

Then the Clone Wars TV series introduced the Clone specific version, which was the first official introduction of Z-95's in Star Wars canon.

Another interesting thing about the artist Mike Vilardi: For the Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook, he designed the look of BLX-5 (also known as Bollux in the US and Zollux in the UK) the labour droid Han took with him on his adventures in the Brian Daley Han Solo book trilogy, probably one of the few droids he actually didn't dislike (along with his counterpart Blue Max)

But he also made an error when producing the artwork for that book. Bollux's old droid body was destroyed and replaced with a totally new one provided by some outlaw techs. It was a unique custom droid body, and so no other droid should look like it. The original body had a more simian appearance with long gangly arms, designed for heavy lifting. It was a very old droid so the book made a point of the sound of its worn out gears straining whenever he performed any strenuous actions.

In the book Bollux is roped into fighting in a gladiator droid arena, and Vilardi also drew the depiction of the gladiator droid along with Bollux. But he accidentally used his design for Bollux's second custom droid body, and not the more primitive one he designed for the original look. But the gladiator fight took place before his body was destroyed, meaning the picture was an error. As a result, every single piece of artwork with that character or that particular droid model was based on Vilardi's second design, which was supposed to be a custom model. So the official look for the BLX labour droid in every single depiction is inaccurate, or we just have to accept that Bollux's supposedly custom look is simply not unique anymore. There's no EU or canon explanation for this because so far none of the writers or artists appear to have noticed (or haven't aknowledged it publicly if they did)

Bollux (though not Blue Max) has since been reeled back in to official canon, with the subtle implication that at least some of the events described in Han Solo at Stars End having actually happened.

A real droid based on Vilardi's second "incorrect" design has since appeared in Season 3 of the Mandalorian, episode 22 "Guns For Hire" at the Droid Bar called the Resistor. Despite the original error kinda messing with my geek OCD I was super happy to see him in there, as I recognised him instantly. (The error could potentially be rectified by the BLX Labour Droid depictions now only being in Legends material, so if there is still such a model it could look very different in the new canon. And hopefully more like the original descriptions given by Brian Daley, whether they used Vilardi's simian design or not)

(So yeah, I'm a fan of the original Brian Daley stuff, as I usually didn't really like much EU written material beyond what WEG produced back in the early days)

I watched an interview the other day with Gina Carano where she said Disney/Lucasfilm PR was telling her to unfollow certain fan channels that were critical of current SW or Kathleen Kennedy. So it's kind of sounding like what we all suspected. It was also interesting that she said she is still friends with Pedro Pascal and he was telling her what hashtags to add to make the haters happy, which she refused to do. How about coming out and defending her in the first place and telling everyone she's not a bad person if you believe that?

And IRL Carano and Pascal are at opposite ends of the political spectrum (and have made their opinions well known), so it's nice to know they can still be professional and friendly with each other, and not bad-mouth each other in the press.

And IRL Carano and Pascal are at opposite ends of the political spectrum (and have made their opinions well known), so it's nice to know they can still be professional and friendly with each other, and not bad-mouth each other in the press.
I had the impression that was not just friendly but were friends. Gina is actually a very warm and gracious person IRL, and she was a positive presence on the set with cast and crew.

It seems only the folks in charge wanted to drag her personal politics to the forefront.

Alas
mongo.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back