Jurassic Park - Federal Signal 191X (Mini)

And here it is in amber as well.

191X_Basev15Promoted_2019-Aug-13_06-27-47AM-000_CustomizedView3277895572.png

I've sourced the original porcelain "pony cleat" sockets used in the real 191X, so at least for my 1:1's this should make wiring very simple and add some accuracy that no one will ever see but me.

I'll need to start working on the electronics system next for synchronizing the back and forth flashing of the lights, and also build in some functionality to dim the LEDs on shutoff/startup, likely via capacitors. I'd like these to look like they have incandescent bulbs in them without the drawbacks of using them. I don't want to risk any fires, and since my replicas aren't made of metal and borosilicate, I'd rather not take chances. Plus, LEDs are cooler in both senses of the word, and use less power, right?

If anyone is interested in information about the real globes, at least some of them are made by Kopp Glass: FAA Runway Approach model 3522.

Started a print of the globe to physically test fitment. While that is printing I'm finishing up interior and exterior details on the base. I'll have to split/lock development once the threads are added, as the threads will not scale correctly for the mini version.

1565746338681.png

1565750598380.png

Last edited:
Semi-final status update on the guts and outside details of the base: I've added in all of the webbing, screw-holes and sprues, cut the set-screw hole, and finished the surprisingly arduous task of placing the mounting holes for the boiler plate. Fusion 360 crashed while I was completing the outer chamfers and fillets to the pole-mount on the bottom, but I can redo that tomorrow... err later today.

Even though I know it won't scale down properly, I've also added in the ground position logo for the full-scale version. This is 3D extrusion, not texture.

191X_Basev15Promoted_2019-Aug-14_07-25-42AM-000_CustomizedView3381842490.png
191X_Basev15Promoted_2019-Aug-14_07-26-21AM-000_CustomizedView6256270831.png

Status update. Print failure: The center support you can see above fell over, and I had to cancel the print.

It's started again, and I also noticed an error I made on the base of the globe, (James had already pointed this out for me, but I forgot!) which has been corrected an incorporated into the currently running print.

In the meantime, while I twiddle my thumbs:

Lite_Lathe_2019-Aug-15_04-32-02AM-000_CustomizedView15975067543.png
Lite_Lathe_2019-Aug-15_04-29-58AM-000_CustomizedView36202370466.png

I know, everyone and their brother has done the cane already, but why not?... this one is mine.

Print has started on a 1/2 scale mini version to test shrinkage and overall size in comparison to the plans for the 'fence posts', will also be doing a 1/3 scale for comparison.

Milestone:

At this point, the 191X modeling is complete. All parts have been serialized, had threaded insert holes added or adjusted to fit actual brass inserts, and final prototyping has begun.

I have enough silicone and resin on hand to cast the globes, and I'll be moving on to a master prototype for that part of the final piece.

Resin masters of the 50% scale miniature are currently printing as well and should be done by tomorrow.

Pony cleats are on hand to make four of these lights, and a railroad crossing light kit is en route to flash the lights.

I'll have some more pictures of the casting and mold-making process soon, unfortunately I'm still waiting for my pressure pot to arrive for resin degassing.

Dang everything here is going great, keep up the great work, dude!

Thanks very much!

If all goes well I’ll be doing resin casts and pressure degassing these this weekend, but I had a few requests for one-offs of the printed prototypes so I’m trying to finish those off first.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back