He Built a T Rex (Jurassic Park)

Alright, we are at the home stretch of this build. I will say I'm currently in negotiations for a potential exhibit so, pending those talks and if a deal can be made i might revisit Robbie to do more detail orientated painting but for this blog, the paint job was cut short because of the looming deadline we had for exhibit back in 2021.

So, when I first stated painting Robbie alot of it was out of the can spray paint from home depot. Their color pallet was surprisingly very diverse and from the images I referenced from the Stan Winston School I was able to match up the primary colors used fairly well. I first hit her with a ivory white for the whole model, then when she was covered I hit her with a off yellow in key areas like the skin folds or places which would be hit with darker pigments when I started to apply the browns and other color hues. The yellow was more of a pastel yellow, and I used mostly satin or flat colors, no glossy paint because of the heavy latex content it usually carries.

Repair 24.jpg

After the base coats were applied I then started applying the broader browns and striped hues and color patterns. This was to establish a more broad sense of the color and paint scheme. At this stage however it did remind me or a giant Kenner Toy as the paint job had a very plastic toy vibe to it. I took a photo of this stage just for posterity lol.

Repair 22.jpg

Repair 19.jpg

One of the things I did was do directional painting with the spray cans to highlight key areas but also keep the lighter coloration in between the scales to note certain details. It worked for a few areas, which was a way to cut corners due to our looming deadline.

Repair 26.jpg

The next step was masking all the teeth to paint the inner pallet and mouth. The mouth was largely sculpted from scratch by Robert as the 3D scan couldnt catch all the details within the mouth interior, so I had more freedom. That said I have since visited IOD and seen the inside of Roberta's mouth, so I can go back and revisit the mouth interior to better match the pallet and tongue.

Repair 23.jpg
Repair 20.jpg

Repair 25.jpg

From this point I moved on to stencil work and then we were off to the exhibit. The next post will be the final post for this thread and this build. But this thread might have more to add onto pending tomorrows studio meeting so, fingers crossed I'll have more content to add.

To be concluded.....

Paint job is an A+ so far :cool::cool:(y)(y) Are you going to use matte finish on the head and high gloss for inside the mouth and even the skin extensions on each side of the mouth als0? As you know, these are usually "wet" with saliva and other things.

I have detailed 3D reference of the SWS bust. Unsure whether it's from the 1:5 scale or full scale, but if you want some reference for inside the mouth I can post them here?

I have detailed 3D reference of the SWS bust. Unsure whether it's from the 1:5 scale or full scale, but if you want some reference for inside the mouth I can post them here?
Yes please do! Any feedback is welcomed as the inside of the mouth is honestly the most unpolished out of the entire bust itself. Many thanks!
-Josh

Paint job is an A+ so far :cool::cool:(y)(y) Are you going to use matte finish on the head and high gloss for inside the mouth and even the skin extensions on each side of the mouth als0? As you know, these are usually "wet" with saliva and other things.
I think its mostly semi gloss paint for the mouth interior but, when I revisit this beast I'll likely do semi gloss for the whole head and high gloss for the mouth and teeth. I'm actually trying to track down teeth for the Rex as the 3D printed teeth featured were more for a place holder and aren't really screen accurate. So the dental work on this guy will be notable when I get underway lol.

Last edited:
And so the end to this very long road with me and Robbie has come. After getting all the primary paint work done and the base colors set I went on with stencil work. Normally I would go in by hand and do alot of hand painted touchups like I do with other movie pieces. Sadly around this time COVID was still in full swing, along with supply shortages and the Testors paint markers I normally use were all gone as well. In fact I think they discontinued them so now I'm still looking for a suitable alternative.

To try to cheat it, I did a more primitive from of stencil painting being all I had was the Krylon spray paint in the various colors I needed. And so began the tedious task of stencil paint, set a layer of blender, and then stencil again to try to pop out only the details I wanted. It did become quite a repetitive.
Repair 28.jpg

This process was visited over and over while masking things out like the eyes (My end game is to get acrylic eyes to replace the 3D printed ones, but I used them for the 2021 exhibit). When the browns and yellows were done I then switched over to ivory whites to get more of the white spots and highlights to pop out.

Repair 29.jpg

Repair 30.jpg

What can also be seen are areas I did highlight individually with what was left of my Testors paint markers before they dried out. This was for select areas in between the scales, to make the larger shapes pop out.

Built a T Rex cover shot3.jpg

Finally with the teeth, eyes, mouth, and stenciling done I finally had to walk away and she Robbie was finally off to exhibit. Kids loved her, parents loved her, I had pulled it off. Going through my photos this one actually is the best one to represent the paint job done for her using only spray paint and paint stencils....and maybe like half a testors pint marker haha.

Repair 27.jpg

That said this wraps up the overall build for Robbie. I do have plans to revisit her as there is still ALOT of work to be done on her but for now, I got her this far. I can have a bit of peace of mind I did right by her. And justified all the money I poured into her haha. This said looking back, as this thread is the first thread that I actually got the chance to look back on all the work done, its wild to think that I went from here:

Built a T Rex cover shot2.jpg

To here while juggling her almost being destroyed by the storm and COVID on top of it. Was a wild ride.

Built a T Rex cover shot.jpg

That said I'll leave you all with one last shot of Robbie and a few other projects I have completed or am currently working on. Its a fun group photo, and I might just make a separate thread committed to just my JP builds for exhibit. There are quite a few.

Repair 31.jpg

Thanks for enjoying the ride with me.
-Josh

THE END......?

I believe Propstore recently auctioned off a T-Rex eye. If you are planning on changing out the eyes, you could use the Propstore one as reference to get it accurate.
EDIT: I guess it was Heritage Auctions - uncertain whether it is an actual screen used one, though, considering Heritage Auctions seem a little light on authenticity and actually selling fan made as screen used.

Anyway, here's the mouth section of the scan I have.

T-Rex - 001.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back