JFcustom's FOAM files

A quick easy test from a bit of foam tube I had left in my shed, and an old remaining yellow piece of foam mat (that I've thinned down to 2 or 3mm thick) :

It looks good on the picture, and is pretty flexible, but because of its lightness it still moves like a stick. :cry

That's where the heavier resin or PVC dread beads come in---they help weight down the dreadlocks so they don't have that "poofy" look, and also help them dangle and sway more realistically. :)

These are hollow foam tubes. I have in mind to fill them with marbles. The hole is around 1/2 inch, they'll fit perfectly. Then the lightness problem should be solved.

30mm I think. Don't care, it was my very last bit anyway. I'm good for shopping ;)

I thought about sand. But :
sand movement might be less fluid than marbles rolling one against each other,
and
sand would be too heavy at the end, because no gap at all from base to top, when I can space the marbles as I need to.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I won't have enough time for anything new before next year.

Darn, I was hoping to try to coerce you to do an Odin suit from Thor 1-no worries, I look forward to whatever your next projects are, as I am sure everyone else on this thread is:)

These are hollow foam tubes. I have in mind to fill them with marbles. The hole is around 1/2 inch, they'll fit perfectly. Then the lightness problem should be solved.
One marble in each would probably be heavy enough. If not, go for a stainless steel ball bearing.

Cavx I haven't decided yet. Any suggestions for a beginner (like what costume to start with). Also, any suggestions to convince my girlfriend lol. I have done close to 10 hrs of research so I feel comfortable with the how I just haven't put it into practice yet.

Yes, having difficulty printing templates, any tips for a beginner trying it freehand, I'm trying N7 armor, and have limited experience working with heat shaping foam

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Cavx I haven't decided yet. Any suggestions for a beginner (like what costume to start with). Also, any suggestions to convince my girlfriend lol. I have done close to 10 hrs of research so I feel comfortable with the how I just haven't put it into practice yet.

What movies do you like or props from films do you really want? Me, I like all things Sci-fi, so the Predator films looked like a good place to start (given the full armour files were here).

As for convincing the GF, well you can always reassure her about the low cost. My my current Pred bio build is just on $30, so cheap. My last one ran about $60.00. It is fun to do and if you mess it up, not a big loss if you need to start over.

Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

What movies do you like or props from films do you really want? Me, I like all things Sci-fi, so the Predator films looked like a good place to start (given the full armour files were here).

As for convincing the GF, well you can always reassure her about the low cost. My my current Pred bio build is just on $30, so cheap. My last one ran about $60.00. It is fun to do and if you mess it up, not a big loss if you need to start over.

Hope that helps.

I really would like to attempt a full costume vs. a prop/gun. Of course I am dying to try jfcustom's build but I am intimidated by some of the pieces. Other than that maybe a ODST or a mass effect costume. So far I parted out the ironman costume that jfcustom built and I estimate close to $100 in tools alone without the foam. But cost aside I thank you for all your input and appreciate the advice. Jf is the captain America the way to go just to test out foam crafting? Thanks again hope to start on a project soon

The cap' helmet was an example, but Rinzler helmet, Obito war mask, Dredd 2012 helmet, Dwarf helmet, Jango FETT helmet, Rocketeer helmet, Dark Helmet's coffee cup, Army of two Mask, and many others to come are quite as simple.

My very first freehanded cardboard build ^^
Much rigid than foam, easy to harden and make waterproof with a single rough brushwork or spray, can be useful for later.
I know it's trivial but it makes me confident about tackling some simple props or accessories, or something fairely bigger some day, that wouldn't need to look like 3D printed.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back