JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: JFcustom's FOAM files ►I'm not a StarWars thread◄ please get me back home :'\

Up to now this topic gathers Walt Disney, Mel Brooks, Daft Punk, DC Universe, Tolkien, Stargate, Hi-Rez Studios, Yoshiki Takaya, Stan Winston, BBC, Platinum Games / Sega, Rick Priestley / Games Workshop, Marvel, Miyazaki, Yoshiyuki Tomino / Hajime Yatate / Sunrise Studio, Masashi Kishimoto, Akira Toriyama, John Wagner / Carlos Ezquerra, Dave Stevens, and also some Star Wars stuff.

So, is there a way I could bring this thread back out of the Star Wars section :confused

Re: JFcustom's FOAM files ►I'm not a StarWars thread◄ please get me back home :'\

yo master JF, any news on the simplified parachristo heartbreaker helmet?

yo master JF, any news on the simplified parachristo heartbreaker helmet?
No update at all on this one :\. In fact no update at all regarding anything. I've been too much delayed playing with my mouse, now I really have to speed up on real work and on ordered builds. Be sure I'm sorry but, to everyone, don't expect anything new before 2014...

And how the hell do I unstick from this SW section ?

Last edited:

I don't think you can now because you had SW in the title when they did the re-vamp. So SW all the way :p

It's not stone carving, it's computing. Just a digit to replace in a row of a table in a DB.
But it appears it's not a member side setting. :\
I guess I'll just have to find a kind and understanding moderator...

It's certainly possible and even easy for an admin or mod to move a thread. Just ask politely, perhaps in a PM, and they should be more than happy to help.

Maybe check the "Site Support and News" forum to see if there's anything in there? At the very least you may be able to start a thread asking to have this topic moved out of the Star Wars sub-forum!

Hi ep82, do you have any online store where I can buy the foam insulation rolls for the helmet back? Anyone in Europe / Spain can help me to find where buy them?

Thanks in advance

The foam I used are Plastazote LD45. I use 10mm thick foam but also used a 3mm craft foam for the tri-lazer surround.

I am sure you can find these in your country :) I just googled within the uk and there is a few distrubutors who sell it. BUT they only sell to trade/other companies.
I have definitely seen a few website selling in other countries like the US and europe.
I am pretty certain you can get them in your country but you just have to search for it on google.

If you really need help then I can try and dig up an old e-mail from the main company who has a list of distrubutors around the world.

- - - Updated - - -

try here:

select your country on the drop down menu :) I hope this helps

http://www.zotefoams.com/pages/EN/distributors.asp

@ ep82

IMG_4892_zps8a675cb0.jpg

This is cool with the dreads. What foam did you use for them?

Yes, that's what I ment too...

After some googling I found a spanish retailer: Tu almacen de hierro virtual. In their website it says: "STANDARD SHIPPING TO SPAIN, FRANCE AND AFRICA" (In the shipment page says "ask for international shipping")

Cordón celular
Cordón celular

They have a "Polyethylene foam cord" in several thickness and cheap (I can't view the length ... Maybe I'll make a call to ask them)

I found another product the seems we can use, called "backer rod" but I can't find an online retailer shipping to Europe (only USA/Canada).
Ebay returns a lot of results but seems all are large packaged rolls (100+ meters)

I hope these links help until ep82 responds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about making some long cones by sewing black fabric, and fill them with padding wool or something.
I'd like them to be the less rigid as possible. And sewing allows to not stick to a single diameter. But I'm not sure what would be best : same diameter for all, or various diameters :confused

I thought about making some long cones by sewing black fabric, and fill them with padding wool or something.
I'd like them to be the less rigid as possible. And sewing allows to not stick to a single diameter. But I'm not sure what would be best : same diameter for all, or various diameters :confused

http://www.thehunterslair.com/ is a dedicares forum of predator costuming. Maybe you can find the correct answer there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I wanted to contribute, but thought I'd pm JF and he called me on it. Here's what I wrote and his answer. Any one else have any suggestions feel free to add Hi JF I didn't want to sidetrack your thread, much thanks for your fantastic work, I've found a 3d file of the hammer drone that I have imported to pep but once I scaled it (going to do it at 7') I'm struggling with unfolding it. I'd like to do it in foam. Any insights for me? I'd like to be able to share any results with the group once I'm finished. In any case thanks ahead of time.
---End Quote---
Hi
take note of the scale value for a 7' tall suit, then use Blender (or something alike) to dismember you hammer drone into several solid parts : forearm, biceps, shoulder, chest... and bin the unneeded parts (since arms and legs are mirrored, no need to unfold them twice). In fact it consists in opening your full file, deleting everything but the right forearm, and exporting it into a smaller new obj file. Then start over the same way for each part. Once done, unfold separately each obtained obj file with the scale factor you got earlier. Working on a single armor part will be 100 times easier than working on the full model.
Unfolding cleverly is the hardest part. And at the begginning you know if you did it right or wrong only when you're building it. But since you plan to built it, you'll notice immediately where you could have splitted you model differently to make the build easier.
Have fun.
And post that on my thread if you want, because many users also want to learn how to unfold a model themselves. I know that, because just like you they all send me PMs instead of posting ^^

Predator Costume and Prop Forum - The Hunter's Lair is a dedicares forum of predator costuming. Maybe you can find the correct answer there.

I've been a Lair member for many years now, and have made four separate Pred suits, all on a small budget, for use in making fan films. We at the Lair are always happy to help with any Pred questions. :)

There are two basic ways that most people make their Pred dreadlocks. The first is to cast them in foam latex. That is pricey and takes some skill. The other way, which takes less skill and is cheaper, is to use "backer rod", also called "caulking tube", which is lengths of foam-rubber rope that are used to seal the cracks in walls before plastering or spackling over them. You can find backer rod online, or in most hardware depots. When I use it, I cut a long taper into each end; some people use hot water to melt them into a tapering end. Some people coat their backer rod dreads with Plastidip; some don't. Some people use the same size backer rod on all their dreads; some make the dreads at the sides of the mask thinner and shorter, and the ones at the back of the mask longer and fatter.

For the rings that slide up onto the dreadlocks (known as "dread beads") I have cast my own from resin, made them from PVC pipe or copper plumbing connectors, and cut them from a Halloween "skull/spine beer tube".

Photos of my Pred masks, to make all this clearer:

10820351003_62154b7b63.jpg

Pred mask made from posterboard, with dreadlocks made from backer rod and cast-resin dread rings.

10820078376_77fde8fe4c.jpg

Pred mask made from posterboard and foamie sheet, with dreadlocks made of thicker backer rod, and dread beads made from PVC pipe couplings decorated with three-dimensional fabric paint.

10820048605_d6778673a6.jpg

Pred mask made from a modified pepakura coated with fiberglass resin, with dreadlocks made from thinner backer rod, and dread beads made from segments of a Halloween "skull/spine" beer funnel.

10820330663_bcf59491c2.jpg

Pred mask made from the plastic "blister pack" of a Halloween demon mask, with dreadlocks made from thin backer rod and cast-resin dread beads.

10820491133_e57d4ccdd7.jpg

Pred face mask made from a modified Rubies Halloween mask--I added dreadlocks made from backer rod and dread beads from cast resin, and also added inner teeth made from a Halloween "werewolf" set and mandible fangs cast in resin.

You can see three of my complete pred suits in action in one of my fan films, here (the 3 preds show up at the 6-minute mark):

Predators: The Hunt - YouTube

Hope that helps. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back