JFcustom's FOAM files

Welcome to the RPF,James :thumbsup
Looking at the shape and the front of the mask,I would suggest the Multi-hero cowl.pdo (foam build) on the first page of this thread.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tried Jfcustoms Iron Man hands for cardboard?? Would love to see one made since I am a bit confused. Not the fingers, just the upper and lower palm with the knuckles.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tried Jfcustoms Iron Man hands for cardboard?? Would love to see one made since I am a bit confused. Not the fingers, just the upper and lower palm with the knuckles.
I have, it works really well. I've started making the base models out of cardboard, solidifying them with fibreglass resin and then layering on thin EVA foam. Durable, quick and easy!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422346556704.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422346556704.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 172
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422346569075.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422346569075.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 199
I have, it works really well. I've started making the base models out of cardboard, solidifying them with fibreglass resin and then layering on thin EVA foam. Durable, quick and easy!
ahhhhh i see , nice man. ive been trying to make them but i always get my cardboard stiff and it doesnt look like the program and it doesnt fit either , is a mess. since hes files are "easy" well i wanted to try out. thanks for the reply billy!!

ahhhhh i see , nice man. ive been trying to make them but i always get my cardboard stiff and it doesnt look like the program and it doesnt fit either , is a mess. since hes files are "easy" well i wanted to try out. thanks for the reply billy!!
It's how I do all my builds now. But i flatten the cardboard (sorta squeeze it together) to make it a bit bendier. After that, the files are a dream!

It's how I do all my builds now. But i flatten the cardboard (sorta squeeze it together) to make it a bit bendier. After that, the files are a dream!
i see, i usually make undercuts to give it the form bit hes files dont have these so thats where i failed in most of the hand palms files out there. they just have alot of lines if you put the the threshold number above 175 it gets confusing. but ill try right now to see how it goes. any idea if it need to be scaled? since hes files are for people 6feet and i am that size.

i see, i usually make undercuts to give it the form bit hes files dont have these so thats where i failed in most of the hand palms files out there. they just have alot of lines if you put the the threshold number above 175 it gets confusing. but ill try right now to see how it goes. any idea if it need to be scaled? since hes files are for people 6feet and i am that size.
Now I did scal it, but can't remember to what. What is the scale set at now?

Hey guys,
I am putting this together for a superbowl display and have a question about sanding.
I am going to prime this with glue and cover with smooth coat 65D. Is it better to sand the foam before coating or after?
This is only my second foam project and the first time I will be using a plasticoat, so any help is much appreciated.ime.png

Hey jamespapetoo.
I'm new to foam too, but from what I've experienced that mask looks like a perfect project for about 1/2" foam. I'd watch the video JF Custom posted at the near beginning of the thread first. He shows good cutting techniques to get those nice edges and angles.

Last edited:
On the first page of this thread,just above the silicone glue gun,JF said that foam cannot be sanded (before sealing and plastic coating),because foam is flexible,and something you can sand is not.Hope that helps:thumbsup

There are hand.pdo files that are included in other iron man builds that can be used for the rest of the suits.Correct me if I'm wrong,but that's what I've understood.
------------------
Aside from that,I have a question regarding the armor I am trying to build;I have completed both biceps and forearm in paper for Classic Iron Man by EyeOfSauron,and even in default size they seem a little weird.

The forearm I couldn't even wear with my arm stretched (half my hand is covered by it),let alone when it's bend.The biceps seem ok when I try the piece on.
Is this a mistake in the unfolding process,or is it just the way the model is?
I know I can resize the model; I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance for replying.

Last edited:
George, if it seems big, make it smaller. Nobody wants to give you bad advice and have you come bag disappointed or upset.

Most of the modelers out there (GASP) don't build their stuff before anyone else, so they can't necessarily even tell you what to do.
Looking at what you have, i would trim the top and the bottom of the forearm. If you can't get a fit out of it you like that way, then rescale and reprint. Good luck.

No problem,Laellee.I was just at a loss,since the entire suit had the same scale and I didn't expect any single part to have different dimensions.
Now that I know that this can occur,I will keep this in mind and most likely rescale the forearm.Above all,I am thankfull that I made it in paper first!
Thanks (AGAIN) for your advise and patience.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back