EVA Foam Sanding and Shaping Tips. Help Needed please!

Popeanator

Hello RPF! It's been awhile since I have posted, I'm in need of some help.
I've used EVA foam before with hot knives wood burning tools ect. but I've never gotten very good at sanding and shaping the foam it's self. Any tips would be great :D

EVA FOAM (Love hate relationship :unsure ⇩)
IMG_5346.jpg

Here is my Mass Effect Pistol atm: Turned out well, but I started a small amount of sanding and things started to get fury and not nice an smooth D:

IMG_5364.jpg

I've tried the trick of wearing down a dremel sanding bit. The sanding bit seams to break before it will wear down enough to use an they are not cheap D:
I tied using some 180 grit sand paper which is supposed to be in the very fine range but it just seams to turn the foam edges fury. It is annoying, any particular grade of sand paper that works the best?

I have not really had any trouble cutting EVA foam. In the past I've used a hot blade or knife. but I've found that a sharp blade will do just as good and a steel ruler will do the job.

IMG_5370.jpg

UNTIL...
However I just bought a new batch of EVA foam, this one is made b another company, and it is much more difficult to cut (Getting smooth edges) I've tired using a brand new sharp blade, I only get a few clean cuts then it is back to this. ⇩

IMG_5368.jpg

This is quite annoying because I was going to start making a M8 rifle form Mass Effect.

Is there an easy way to get the edges nice and smooth after you've cut it like this?

I've made a few things over the past few year with EVA foam I'm not a complete noob but I really want to start making stuff with higher detail.

Any help would be Awesome.

you know pretty much all you need to know, i like to use the sanding wheels with my dremel. draw your temps on the foam with a sharpy. then cut it out on the outside edge of your line and sand down the extra. i like doing it that way becuase like you said some times the foam dont cut as smoothly as you would like. i use rasor bades and a crapet cutting tool to hold them. you should change blade alot because the foam will dull them fast. when you get jagged edges like that its cuz you have a dull blade. after that its just practice, practice, practice lol the more you do it the better you get. good luck. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back