JFcustom's FOAM files

What version of viewer are you using, did you download straight from their site? Also, it could be the file, so I would try a couple. Also you could download the free version of designer, and see if that will work.

Well, I managed to download designer, and grabbed JFCustom's Hawkman helmet, but I can't seem to get the Mark 1 files. I go to "open", and it doesn't show up. When I download it again, it tells me I've already downloaded it! I really appreciate your help with this, laellee, what might I be doing wrong? With my last laptop, I could get the files whenever I needed them, but this seems to be a problem. Thanks!

He has modified them for foam building,but they were build by others for as far as I know.

Something I've been wondering though...suppose you plastic coat the neck of any foam costume design; most of them are made to fit either the bottom of a helmet,the opening at the top of the harness,or both with the head looking forward.How do people turn their heads in a rigid neck?

Last edited:
He has modified them for foam building,but they were build by others for as far as I know.

Something I've been wondering though...suppose you plastic coat the neck of any foam costume design; most of them are made to fit either the bottom of a helmet,the opening at the top of the harness,or both with the head looking forward.How do people turn their heads in a rigid neck?

Do you know anyone who makes pep files? I want to get a bunch made based off my designs for this feature length saga I am doing.

Do you know anyone who makes pep files? I want to get a bunch made based off my designs for this feature length saga I am doing.

The files are based off obj. files or previous Pepakura files out there. JF did start creating some stuff in Blender - Deathstroke Injustice, Snow White, etc...

If you are wanting custom templates made you need to have a 3D designer create the model for you, then it can be imported into Pepakura. But it will cost you quite a bit to have them designed. I always try to find templates from characters and mix and match armor if I wanted to go custom. JF did that with Blue Beetle using Iron Man and modifying the Metroid gun. And I've been mixing a lot.... Jango Fett file for my Mando, Predator and Raptor, and Jaffa and Predator parts. Mix and match.....there is a bunch of templates already here.

Attachments

• 1484566_10203338050917443_5517624180198145412_n.jpg
    1484566_10203338050917443_5517624180198145412_n.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 15141442554_5ed49dc4e4_k (2).jpg
    15141442554_5ed49dc4e4_k (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 369
  • 10620218_10152426179355382_5377878411829900954_o.jpg
    10620218_10152426179355382_5377878411829900954_o.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 354
The files are based off obj. files or previous Pepakura files out there. JF did start creating some stuff in Blender - Deathstroke Injustice, Snow White, etc...

If you are wanting custom templates made you need to have a 3D designer create the model for you, then it can be imported into Pepakura. But it will cost you quite a bit to have them designed. I always try to find templates from characters and mix and match armor if I wanted to go custom. JF did that with Blue Beetle using Iron Man and modifying the Metroid gun. And I've been mixing a lot.... Jango Fett file for my Mando, Predator and Raptor, and Jaffa and Predator parts. Mix and match.....there is a bunch of templates already here.

Thanks Durkness. I always try to help, but sometimes the questions have such a loose weight, thanks for helping.

All good. You've been one heck of a moderator for this thread laellee. You have also been a huge asset to a lot of people wanting to get into this hobby. If the RPF hasn't sent you a message, I have appreciated all the time you have dedicated to helping everyone that has had questions. Thank you very much!

Wow, thanks for the compliment Durkness! I get as much out of this site as you guys do, I only know how to do a lot of stuff now because of the fine folks here (and doing it all wrong about hundred times too lol)

Happy New Years everybody! :)

Well, I managed to download designer, and grabbed JFCustom's Hawkman helmet, but I can't seem to get the Mark 1 files. I go to "open", and it doesn't show up. When I download it again, it tells me I've already downloaded it! I really appreciate your help with this, laellee, what might I be doing wrong? With my last laptop, I could get the files whenever I needed them, but this seems to be a problem. Thanks!

That is pretty screwy. Tell you what, I'll give it a go, and see if it opens for me. The only issues I've had similar to this was back when Pepakura evolved from 2.x to 3.x.... They restructured their file formats, and while files saved in the old format are supposed to open fine, sometimes things get garbled in translation. If I can open it fine, I'll resave it, and upload my copy. Maybe that'll work for ya.

@laellee: may I ask what method you use to plastic coat your armor?
Is it always necessary to first seal your foam with PVC/ woodglue for the plastic coat to attach to (like XRobots does)?
Or does that depend on the density of the foam (e.g.Plastazote vs. Durafoam)?

@laellee: may I ask what method you use to plastic coat your armor?
Is it always necessary to first seal your foam with PVC/ woodglue for the plastic coat to attach to (like XRobots does)?
Or does that depend on the density of the foam (e.g.Plastazote vs. Durafoam)?

It's a great idea to seal the EVA first, otherwise the foam can absorb a lot of your resin. Same goes with using plastidip, sealing with glue first will keep your spray of soaking in so much.

Smooth-on resins are still the best way to go for me, like 65d, if I'm going to epoxy a suit. I'm sure that there are other epoxy resins out there that will work as well, but Smooth-on has always been the most convenient for me. If you do find another resin you want to try, just be sure to test it on a piece of raw and sealed foam first; some compunds will put off waaayy too much heat when they are mixed, and the exothermic reaction can cause anything from hot-glued seams coming apart to eating or melting the foam itself. This is why most polyester resins won't work. I would specifically look for epoxy resins instead for starters.

I got stuck again with my paper build.I keep running into these lines of which I do not know what they mean or what I am supposed to do with them,despite having the 3D model in front of me:
View attachment 422203
The vertical line at #256 makes no sense to me and above all screws up the alignment for #253 and #254.
View attachment 422205
Same goes for these diagonal lines at the bottom.Am I supposed to make a cut there? And why is the black edge interrupted under #249? I can't cut out my pieces properly this way after printing them because a part of the horizontal contour is now missing:facepalm

Last edited:
I got stuck again with my paper build.....

For picture one:

#256 was is most likely a remnant of of a mistake that was made when the 3d model was first put together. It's not unusual to have happen occasionally, but the error can't be fixed in Pepakura. To work past this, I would cut the line between 253 and 256 (the one headed off to the left) as far back as you need to, and then overlap and glue this little area to make the numbers match up properly again.

Picture two:

When unfolding (especially and often for foam) in Pepakura, the unfolder can make Pepakura ignore any gaps between pieces that are under a certain width, such as the '82's in your first picture. This can make peps a lot cleaner with less to cut out, but the downside is that you will still see areas where pepakura can't hide the gap. In your bottom picture, those are two seams that were hidden this way, but just because the line is gone doesn't mean there isn't still a gap there. The easiest thing to do is just cut the edge clean, just a straight cut between the bottoms of those two ink lines. This is also what's happening when you see lines that abruptly end (or aren't there at all) on foam unfolds. If the lines aren't there, ignore them. If two edge lines just disappear:

Lesson learnt - measurements in pepakura are the 2 most extreme points on the item. So for helmets with wings, if the tips of the wings are wider than the helmet, then width represents the distance between those 2 points.

@Dezziedc:Thanks for sharing your experience.

For all the Transformers G1 fans out there (myself included obviously): I stumbled upon a website that has a few papercraft PDF files of several autobots and decepticons:

http://digilander.libero.it/papermodels/paper_models.htm

They just need to be converted to PDO in order to make a suit out of them,if at all possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back