Indiana Jones Diary WIP - 1920-1957 - Emperor's Tomb Level 1-3

Re: Indiana Jones Diary WIP - 1920-1957 - Dinosaurs Eggs completed

Not sure yet, I'll see how I go, currently creating a timeline so I can get events and stuff for inserts, and practice making my hand writing more legible.

Wow, amazing as always. Where did you get that map of Mongolia?

I printed it off onto some paper I aged with tea. Here's the original file:

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/photolib/maps/Map of Mongolia 1922.jpg

Smordant, the best Indy timeline available seems to be this one (this is what I've used, see post #1, minus the Marvel comics and Find Your Fate novels):

http://www.theraider.net/information/timeline/adulthood.php

Thanks for that, certainly helps especially with some stuff Indy might add to his journal between adventures.

Re: Indiana Jones Diary WIP - 1920-1957 - Philosopher's Stone completed

Oh, and the whole idea of Indiana Jones not really believing that a triceratops could still be alive TOTALLY clashes with the fact that he's already seen a T-Rex in Interior World....

Next up will be Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth - a book that I predict with clash COMPLETELY. I assume Indy will initially not believe the earth to be hollow, which is strange since he's already been INSIDE IT in Interior World.... :wacko

It's been a LONG time since I read these, but didn't he lose his memory after Interior World (like it was a dream or something)? Or was that a different novel?

In any case, this is looking really good. Well done.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Re: Indiana Jones Diary WIP - 1920-1957 - Philosopher's Stone completed

It's been a LONG time since I read these, but didn't he lose his memory after Interior World (like it was a dream or something)? Or was that a different novel?

He lost his memory of what happened in the rainforst near the end of The Sevel Veils - the inhabitants "veiled" his memory so that he would forget about the Lost City of Ceiba and instead think that he and Deirdre were with indians instead. That's why my entry for that section has nothing on the city itself or anything from that time period. HOWEVER, Indy does remember bits and pieces, as if from a dream, and by the next book (or possibly the one after) he fully recalls everything that happened.

At the end of Interior World, Marcus tells Indy that he thinks he was drugged, and kept drugged, by the pirates when taken aboard the Caleuche and that everything he's described about the Interior World has been a hallucination and caused by "shamanistic influence". Indy doesn't agree with Marcus, but it does make him question whether it was real or not.

Well these adventures (which take place during WW2) will be in it:

1938 Last Crusade
1938 Thunder in the Orient - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 Graphic novel
1939 Fate of Atlantis - LucasArts game – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 Graphic novel
1939 Sargasso Pirates - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1939 Staff of Kings - LucasArts game
1941 Golden Fleece - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1943 Army of the Dead
1945 Spear of Destiny - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel

Nothing specifically about the war though.

Nearly finished the journal entried for Hollow Earth - finished reading it - I'd say my second favourite book so far - only one book left for me to read now. :cry

In the mean time, here's a couple of props that I've got finished up, or just arrived, to go with the journal adventures:

From Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs:
TriceratopsEgg1.jpg

TriceratopsEgg2.jpg

From Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone (but also features in Dinosaur Eggs and Secret of the Sphinx):

CrystalSkull1.jpg

CrystalSkull2.jpg

CrystalSkull3.jpg

Finally finished the latest journal entry - I finished reading a while ago, but it took for ever to get round to finishing all the entries.

Max McCoy is definitely my favourite author - out of all the novels, Philosopher's Stone is my favourite, followed by Hollow Earth. I have a feeling though that Secret of the Sphinx will make it into my top 2.

So here it is, Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth:

Diary69-1.jpg

Diary69c.jpg

Diary70.jpg

Diary71.jpg

If anyone's REALLY bored, you can translate the Thule Stone - I actually sat and wrote out info on Ultima Thule on it in Viking ruins. I must be crazy, it's not like anyone would bother finiding out if it's gibberish or not! :lol

The Norse ruinic alphabet I used:
alphabet_seaxwica_runes.jpg

Diary71b.jpg

This is the real Thule Society logo.

Diary72.jpg

These are real treasure symbols that were used by the Spanish to mark where they'd hidden gold or to mark gold mines.

Diary73.jpg

Markings on the gold bar are based on real mint marks and gold bar shape is copied from a real artifact from the 17th century found in a shipwreck.

Diary74.jpg

Diary75.jpg

Diary76.jpg

Diary77.jpg

Diary77b.jpg

Diary77c.jpg

This is a map of the Arctic Circle from 1922.

Next up, the last novel, Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx. :)

Re: Indiana Jones Diary WIP - 1920-1957 - Hollow Earth completed

Brilliant as ever, I am just finishing the first novel, then wife wants to read it. Maybe she'll get into the props too.

These look awesome. I am sad that this will be the last one. What will you do next. Most likely take a break I am sure. You slammed through those books.

Do you think you will touch on any of the comics or games?

Looking forward to the last entry.

Best,
DBCooper

These look awesome. I am sad that this will be the last one. What will you do next. Most likely take a break I am sure. You slammed through those books.

Do you think you will touch on any of the comics or games?

While I'm a little sad that this is the last NOVEL (apart from Army of the Dead - but that doesn't come until MUCH later in the timeline), it's FAR from over with my journal....

After the last novel, I still have to do entries for:

1935 Shrine of the Sea Devil - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1935 Forbidden Eye - Disneyland Ride
1935 Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb LucasArts game
1935 Temple of Doom
1936 Raiders of the Lost Ark
1936 Tomb of the Gods – 4 Dark Horse comics – Available together in graphic novel form
1937 Arms of Gold - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 Graphic novel
1938 Last Crusade
1938 Thunder in the Orient - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 Graphic novel
1939 Fate of Atlantis - LucasArts game – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1 Graphic novel
1939 Sargasso Pirates - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1939 Staff of Kings - LucasArts game
1941 Golden Fleece - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1943 Army of the Dead
1945 Spear of Destiny - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1946 Iron Phoenix - Dark Horse comic – contained in Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 2 Graphic novel
1947 Infernal Machine - LucasArts game
1957 Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

There's a LONG way to go yet..... ;)

OK, FINALLY finished the entries for the last novel. Some very cool visuals in this novel, so it makes some good entries. :thumbsup

There are two HUGE continuity errors that this book throws up:

1) Indy finds the tomb of Qin in the side of a mountain and Qin's mummified corpse. Qin's head falls off. This is VERY different from the Emperor's Tomb computer game set 1 year later, where Indy once again finds Qin's tomb (somewhere else), enters a supernatural realm and finds the black pearl in the mouth of Qin's perfectly preserved body (which is not minus it's head!).

2) Indy finds the Staff of Aaron at Lalesh and it ends up being thrown away into the sand where it blooms into an almond tree. This is VERY different from the Staff of Kings computer game which is set 5 years later where Indy once again finds the Staff of Aaron (somewhere else) and it eventually turns into a snake and slithers away.

How can Lucas be so strict with everything meshing perfectly in the Star Wars universe, but let's things like this happen?!

Aaaanyway......

First of all, using the info from the latest book (not that there was much), I went back and added the drawing of the Knife of Genghis Khan to the Dinosaur Eggs entry:

Diary68-1.jpg

With that done, it's on the the next adventure; Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx:

Diary78.jpg

Diary79.jpg

These guys are obviously based on the real terracotta warriors, but these ones are altered according to the information given in the book (that they all have marbles in the eyes and mouth, bulging cheeks and real skeletons inside).

Diary80.jpg

Diary81.jpg

Diary82.jpg

Diary83.jpg

Diary84.jpg

Diary85.jpg

I based the Staff of Aaron on the stick Moses carries in the movie "The Ten Commandments" as that was the version they copied to add the staff in a crate to KOTCS.

I also have a vintage postcard of the Sphinx (from the correct excavation period) on the way to add as an insert to this page.

Diary86.jpg

Diary86b.jpg

Diary87.jpg

Diary88.jpg

Diary88b.jpg

This letter from Mystery Maskelyne is copied exactly as it is printed in the novel.

And that's it, no more novels. :cry

Up next though, Indiana Jones and the Shrine of the Sea Devil (Dark Horse comic). :thumbsup

Re: Indiana Jones Diary WIP - 1920-1957 - Secret of the Sphinx completed

You continue to astonish me. It must hard to deal with the continuity errors.

Brilliant as ever. Is the Mystery Maskelyne character meant to be the Magician Maskelyne?

It must hard to deal with the continuity errors.

Yeah, I'm sure it will be, but I'll cross that bridge when i get to it. I may just ignore the clashes and not mention anything about them - I'm fairly sure that those adventures will have to go in a seperate journal anyway - I only have a couple more pages left in this one.

Brilliant as ever. Is the Mystery Maskelyne character meant to be the Magician Maskelyne?

I'm not sure who the Magician Maskelyne is exactly, but the book features three members of the Maskelyne family - mother Faye Maskelyne, father Kaspar Maskelyne (who went missing 4 years ago and who the other two are searching for) and daughter Mystery (or Mysti) Maskelyne. All three are magicians.

It's gettin better and better. And I love it more and more. Truly a beloved work of an Fan.

Not at the moment. I started the diary and did all the work when I just couldn't motivate myself to build/paint anything. Now I have my prop replicating mojo back, the diary has taken a back seat. I do intend to get back to it though, and will post up as soon as I do any more. :)

Incredible work of investigation Howlrunner!!. Congrats for this great effort to gather all these adventures in a journal with lots of graphics information, objects, or findings and try to get a consistent thread linking each of the adventures of our beloved Indy :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back