Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

It would be just as easy to not even mention him, or make a passing reference to him with a line of dialog. I mean I wasn't crazy about the character but if they're sticking with that movie being part of the canon, he could easily be avoided.

Well, something hit me while rewatching RAIDERS...

This will be the first Indiana Jones movie in this social climate, & I'm sure there's someone out there who will be getting into the franchise for the first time. I started wondering if there's going to be any blowback about Indy & Marion's history?

It's heavily insinuated that she was underage when their relationship started, & the official novelization states that she was 15 when the relationship started & it lasted 2-3 years. When Indy left & ended it, he was 27, 10 years older than her.

If they make changes to remove/retcon this stuff, much like Han not shooting first, how do you preserve the history of the character without defending his actions?

I guess instead of "HAN SHOT FIRST" t-shirts, somebody better start making some that say "MARION WAS 15!"?

This will be the first Indiana Jones movie in this social climate, & I'm sure there's someone out there who will be getting into the franchise for the first time. I started wondering if there's going to be any blowback about Indy & Marion's history?

It's heavily insinuated that she was underage when their relationship started, & the official novelization states that she was 15 when the relationship started & it lasted 2-3 years. When Indy left & ended it, he was 27, 10 years older than her.

If they make changes to remove/retcon this stuff, much like Han not shooting first, how do you preserve the history of the character without defending his actions?

I guess instead of "HAN SHOT FIRST" t-shirts, somebody better start making some that say "MARION WAS 15!"?
I don’t think it much matters honestly. Allen and Ford are 10 years apart but are both clearly adults in Raiders when we meet them, I don’t think most people care about the novelization.
SOMEONE somewhere may dredge up this information but 99% of people won’t care and it’s not going to get anybody “cancelled”

That costume is as iconic as the character and honestly how many old people update their wardrobe to reflect the current time? None. I don't have much faith in this movie being good, but Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones. Is it me or does the hat look too big?
Something looked off to me about the hat too. Feels like the brim is wider, or the crown not as high. I'm also not seeing the 'swoop' from it being turned (the brim dips symmetrically in front). Can't put my finger on it, but I get more of a ToD vibe.
Wardrobe aside...I just....I just don't see how Indy works in the '60s. The character belongs to the 30s, and lots of uncharted lost locations around the globe. It's what lets you get away with 'supernatural, anything is possible'. In an era where all of the edges of the map have been filled in though...

It seems they're shooting in my neck of the woods. Bamburgh Castle I think.
This has been going round local social media.
IMG-20210608-WA0004.jpg

Something else comes to mind with a new Indy movie on the horizon. There has been less and less graphic violence in each subsequent chapter of the Indy movies, so I imagine this will likely continue that trend. One of the things that I loved about Raiders and Temple of Doom were their willingness to not shy away from the grit and pulp of their serial inspirations. Last Crusade had violence too, but not to the extent of its predecessors. Crystal Skull was even less so and likely didn't show a drop of blood from what I recall of it. I mean it has to serve the story of course, but still, it would be refreshing to see that Indy hasn't lost his edge. Not that I want it to be insane like the latest Rambo movies, but I'd hate to see him watered down as an action hero.

How old was Sean Connery when they made The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I mean it's all green screen and even head and deaging effects. It's going to be more of a plot and PC problem than his age. I thought Harrison looked pretty good as Han considering. What especially impressed me was his voice sounds like Han and not warbly old Ford.

They should go after Nazis in Argentina an find Hitler alive (double killed in Berlin). That would make for a plot.

These are some revealing set photos…

I am not spoiler tagging this one….if you aren’t reading this thread for “the inside dope” then what are you doing here, anyway?

Last edited:
Another one of my “if I wrote it” plot points was that Mutt would have died in Vietnam, but I highly doubt they would want to touch on something like that :cautious:

I have a feeling that if they address him at all, it will be a line about Mutt being away doing something. I still think it would have worked better if Indy had a daughter that was just like him. Can you imagine him having a crazy daughter? I think Mutt could have worked, the writing was just not the best. Oh and it usually comes off sounding cringey when you have people trying to talk like people in another era, like how Mutt was saying Daddy-O and things like that. It's like people talking like they think people talked, vs. how they usually talked.

I still don’t mind him. The worst things about Mutt are the stupid name and the monkey scene. I’m not a fan of Shia but he’s pretty much the only person trying in Crystal Skull, and the best part of the movie (everything from the train station to when Mack shows up again) focuses pretty heavily on his and Indy’s interactions. Of course, Shia’s a little out of it these days, and few people want be reminded of the last movie, so I get why he wouldn’t feature in this one. And even if 5 bombs, it’s not like there aren’t dozens of low-quality “Indiana Jones adventures” out there already.

There you go.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back