In Progress: Obi-Wan Kenobi Clone Wars

6-16-08

Got a lot done this weekend. I worked for like 6 hours straight on Saturday night and got the tunic done. It was one of those genius streaks where I would bounce form one thing to the next, stop, realize I needed to do something else, change it, go on, and everything seemed to work. I was able to alter it to fit me pretty snug in the waist. The skirt flares and the points turn down to give it a little bit of stylization. I originally wanted to leave it closed at the front. But with how fitted I made the torso I couldn't get it over my shoulders. So it closes with velcro at the waist. I was able to figure out the blind hem stitching on my machine and do a nice 2" bottom hem; just like my jedi tunics. All in all I am really happy it turned out as good as it did.

Tunic.jpg

I was finally able to get a good obi done as well. I ditched the bias cut and cut the 40" long rectangle on the fold of the fabric. So I only had to stitch 3 sides. Finally turned out good with nice straight stitches. I didn't bother to take pictures since it's the same build as the last one I messed up. Here's all the pieces laid out together:

Ensemble.jpg

Here's some crappy mirror shots. Excuse the sleeveless black tee. I haven't received my new black compression top yet.

Side.jpg

Front.jpg

I have the fabric so I am going to try and do one more tunic and take some stuff I learned and improve it. It's going to be a little wider in the body so I can overlap the two sides a little more and let the "V" end right at the obi, instead of beneath, to better match the CG look. Also I want to cut the "V's" better so I don't have to finish the edges on a curve and get them to look a little flatter. If it turns out bad this one is still good.

The obi needs to be dyed dark brown; which I'll do this weekend after I run to the fabric store for some dye. Keep reading and feel free to give me some comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks pretty good so far. You have a little bunching in the front neckline there, but if you get an iron with some good steam, you may be able to press it out. But for someone who just started sewing, this is fantastic. Experienced folk have to redo some of the stuff you've already conquered. I wish I was this far along in mine. I do have my OSCS armor on it's way to my doorstep tho.

Love watching your progress on this. It makes me want one of these even though I only go to a few cons a year. Great work and keep those updates coming.

-Matt

I think it looks pretty good so far. You have a little bunching in the front neckline there, but if you get an iron with some good steam, you may be able to press it out.

Thanks! The bunching is one of the things I want to try and improve. I am going to try and cut the neckline better so I can sew it easier. Also, I want to try and pull any bunching, if it occurs, up into the back neckline. Since that will be hidden under the armor 100% of the time.

Thanks! The bunching is one of the things I want to try and improve. I am going to try and cut the neckline better so I can sew it easier. Also, I want to try and pull any bunching, if it occurs, up into the back neckline. Since that will be hidden under the armor 100% of the time.

First and most important thing is to make sure you stay stitch it on the neckline. This will keep it from stretching as you sew/handle it. This is where you run a stitch just inside of the seam allowance, around the neck, and pretty much down the bias edges. All on one layer of fabric (the outside if you're lining it).
stay-stitching1.gif

Another handy trick (if stay stitching doesn't work, and your bias is particularly stubborn) is to cut a thin 1/4" strip of very lightweight, fusible interfacing on the straight grain and press it in place over where the bias seam will be. Keeps it from stretching.

6-23-08

Ugh. It was like 100 million degrees in the San Fernando Valley this weekend. Luckily my sewing machine sits right next to my wall unit AC. I was able to all of my soft goods done. I dyed the obi dark brown and finished my second tunic.

Ensemble.jpg

The tunic is a conundrum. Probably due to my lack of experience and that I did a lot of alterations on the fly the last time. This tunic came out better in some ways and not as good in others. The upper body fits better and it more solid. But the first version had a better skirt with a better flare and I really dug the downturned points.

Mirror2.jpg

Mirror1.jpg

I don't know which one I'll use in the end but I am done sewing. I need to move onto the armor. I went shopping at Lowes and got some stuff this weekend. I'll start working on it on Saturday and maybe make a trip to Home Depot for some other stuff.

7-7-08

Well, stuff went wrong for a while so I haven't updated. I started working on the arm armor and I had an idea to try and use plastic cups and tubing from the hardware store so I wouldn't have to completely create the armor from scratch. Problem was everything I tried completely tanked. The tubing was all either too narrow, too wide, or too thick; the cups all too small on the top of my forearm and too large at the wrist. So I ordered some sintra and started trying to build it all myself.

CW_trailer003.png

CW_trailer004.png

I started with the biceps since they are basically tubes with notches cut in the back. I found the outer diameter of some tubing I had worked well as a mold for the sintra. So I tried some paper mock-ups before cutting some sintra. I spent this weekend heating, molding, gluing, reinforcing, bondo-ing, spot filling, priming, and sanding. They came out pretty well I think. There's a small flat section where the two ends meet. I was able to round it out a little with body filler but it's still kinda flat. I'll just put that part into my armpit and it'll be hidden.

Biceps.jpg

I started work on making a mock-up of the forearms. Being horrible at math and geometry I was somehow able to figure out a good way to cut it so the ends stayed straight. A miracle, I know. I was able to get a nice paper mockup done and reinforced with some white duct tape to help the look. I need to widen the middle joint to 14" and narrow the wrist down to 9" I'll have to squeeze my hand in but it'll look nicer.

Forearm1.jpg

Forearm2.jpg

Forearm3.jpg

I tried it all on to see how it all looked. Works well. Tomorrow night I'll start cutting the pieces for the forearms and cut the notches in the biceps.

Arm3.jpg

Arm2.jpg

Arm1.jpg

Thanks. Hopefully it all works out in time for Comicon. I'm still waiting on chest and shoulder armor from a guy. Hopefully he gets it to me soon. I have to paint finish, paint, and weather it.

You're doing a great job on this Chris. I know how hard it is to get flat sintra to form a perfect cylinder or truncated cone. When I did the Rahm Kota bracers I used a tin sheet to form a mandrel in the shape of my forearm, then boiled 6mm sintra to wrap around the mandrel. Since my edges were covered by the control box, they could be a little flat where they meet and it didn't matter. But yeah, it takes a lot of heating-up and a lot of pushing and bending. Your tubes look fantastic.

~ BC

Last edited:
Thanks. Coming from you that means a lot. I don't mind if there's a slight flat section on the inner forearm. Since clone armor is flat white and will be weathered to look dirty it won't be as noticeable as one like shiny metal armor or shiny white armor.

I cut the sintra pieces last night. I had to draw and cut the cruves tonight. I was able to get everything so far off one 24" x 48" sheet with some extra left over. So I have a full sheet left if I messed anything up. I'm hoping to be ready to heat and mold on thursday night.

I heard from the guy working on the shoulder armor. He was making the silicon mold last night and will be pulling soon. Good news.

...Since clone armor is flat white and will be weathered to look dirty it won't be as noticeable as one like shiny metal armor or shiny white armor...
Bingo. :cool

Same deal on the silver-gray. I've got a nasty flat spot on the underside of one of my bracers, but with the scratch weathering you can't even see it.

~ BC

One thing I forgot to add before.

The first frustum template I cut to the exact circumference of my arm (at wrist and mid-forearm). After I bent it it turned out too tight. It seems the plastic shrinks around the bend rather than stretching around it. So be sure to allow for the thickness of the sintra when measuring your circumference. It may not be as bad with 3mm as with 6mm.

~ BC

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back