How was Vader's helmet modified from ANH to ESB to ROTJ

One thing I was wondering about the ANH chest box is if it was sprayed silver first then the black was chipped away or if was just simply exposing white gel coat, now I understand that this is a helmet thread but its just one detail on the ANH Vader thats been nagging me.

Here is Mike Warren's ROTJ, next to a GH ROTJ.

MW_GH_01.jpg

Hi guys,

I just want to say that the amount of information in this thread is overwhelmingly invaluable. I'm a newbie when it comes to Vader helmets and the lineage differences, but I've been trying to do my research as I get more and more into props, coming from the statue collecting world. Seeing some Vader helmets on FB, instagram, and etsy has led my searches to this thread and all it's information, however confusing and coded it may be.

I don't have much value to add to this thread, however from an outsider's perspective I can say that it did help me determine where to seek out the best Vader helmets and where to avoid those selling helmets with questionable integrity (after I read the thread, did more research, and then re-read the thread to make sense of everything). I think it's important that these facts are put out there for others like myself who are simply looking to get a great ANH/ESB/ROTJ Vader helmet and who may not know what is a true lineage cast (Mike Warren DJ), what is a terrific artist's rendition (Quasimodo V2), and what is a re-caster (ShadowFX).

So thanks guys. My only recommendation would be for some better grammar and less abbreviations haha :)

In the interest of sharing info with the community, I present to you these colour scans that were given to me by Rob Tharp who was an employee at Don Post Studios at the same time as Kermit Eller and was there on the day that the screen used costume was delivered to the studios! Rob is the guy wearing the Karate outfit and the one wearing the standard Don Post Vader helmet next to Kermit Eller who is wearing the screen used one. So cool. Rob is a great guy and after lots of enjoyable correspondence with him, he got enthusiastic about the memories which motivated him to scan his polaroids that were taken on that day. I've sat on these photos since March 3rd 2004, so I now choose to share the scans he sent to me in all their glory for those of you that have not seen them before.
These photos are great!

Why does the ANH helmet look a little strange on the left side of the dome like theres too much space at the side of the brow? is it simply just the dome positioning?
There was a lot of wind and the helmets were all over the place when I took the pic, the dome probably got shifted a little. Lens distortion may also have something to do with it.

Here are better pics of each helmet on its own.
s5jTY0Kl.jpg

tKdIwUgh.jpg

EpQFCTpl.jpg

Last edited:
Was (were) the ROTJ Vader helmet a reused/repainted ESB? Or was it pulled from modified ESB molds?
Mysteries upon mysteries I think with the indication with the CFO is that the ROTJ dome was at least something that came from a mold
and the mask was just the stock standard modified ANH that came out a mold of the ANH helmet.

My belief as per the understanding I have

Hey, does anyone know if the mouth mesh in Vader's helmet is supposed to be raw aluminum metallic or is it supposed to be painted black? I've seen it done both ways, but I wasn't sure which version of the mesh color was more accurate - or if it depends on which film?

Hey, does anyone know if the mouth mesh in Vader's helmet is supposed to be raw aluminum metallic or is it supposed to be painted black? I've seen it done both ways, but I wasn't sure which version of the mesh color was more accurate - or if it depends on which film?
It was painted the same Gun metal grey or Rolls Royce grey paint as the grey on the mask on most prop Vader helmets used

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back