How was Vader's helmet modified from ANH to ESB to ROTJ

Again it’s in the eye of the beholder.

I don’t want to derail this thread so I’ll just say this and leave it alone: I think it’s a shame that you’d try to tear down Mr. Muir’s work after what he’s given to the world.

Why are you saying I'm tearing it down? I'm stating facts. The ROTJ face IS smaller then ANH and the mohawk IS wider on ROTJ.

FACTS man FACTS!

Why are you saying I'm tearing it down? I'm stating facts. The ROTJ face IS smaller then ANH and the mohawk IS wider on ROTJ.

FACTS man FACTS!
Please guy's we will not fight on this thread it is unnecessary and is in total bad spirit

I know we all are passionate about vader things but they remain just that THINGS

And again all of us mean we'll and only want to share thoughts and ideas be they wrong or right

As well vader45 you are right about the helmet it still has tell tail rotj signs but the way one carries over facts to others is also an important tact in life. Explain with understanding and empathy your point of view and let others then explain their's and if they disagree so be it you know what you know to be correct so stick to it

And if somebody els believes what they believe to be correct allow them that.

Alright I believe Mr Muir did amazing work
And one can really see the care and detail in reworking the ROTJ to an ANH

But I will in my opinion going of of what I believe to be correct knowledge that the rework does look more like an Rotj with ANH features. ANH mask was a bit thicker and less curvey as well as the dome strip was thinner

But no fault to Mr Muir I believe he went of memory and perhaps fotos etc and he just worked with the base he had thinking the helmets didn't change much from movie to movie. So I doubt he thought about it like we do and just put back some of the ANH details as he remembered.

As I believe he did not have a hand in the other movies after ANH so he would not have known the helmet changed drastically

My educated guess

Here's a pic of mine showing all three together.

View attachment 1244183

Awesome helmets Gino love how they look on your life sized display's to me they really look like the real deal!

So coming to the ANH it's basically as I know the Brian Muir sculpt the ANH was the father of the ESB and ROTJ mask and helmet
so by looking at your helmets and using my logic
What changed from ANH-ESB-ROTJ is as follows

The ANH mask and dome was made
The mask has a small chin vent and is painted gloss black and brushed with silver highlighting
the Dome has a sharp widows peak with the Y crease and an indentation
the dome mowhawk on the ANH is the narrowest in with

The ESB was made from an ANH cast of the screen used original yes?
dome and face mask
hence I can to my eyes see that your ESB helmet reflects this
as it looks the same as the ANH but with the ESB modifications
so as I see for ESB
the mask is basically an ANH mask it's not smaller or narrower than the original ANH by looking at the photo
the lower chin vent is larger
and it's painted with very glossy paint and polished to a high glos shine

The dome
is basically an ANH dome except it seems for ESB
the sharp widows peak is trimmed down the Mohawk appears a bit wider
the Y crease is filled in it seems
and the dome sits bit higher on the face than the ANH dome
and is painted with gloss black and polished to a high gloss shine

and then the ROTJ is again an ANH mask and dome
with the mask
Having a larger than the ESB chin vent
but the mask is still the same size as the original ANH
the Mask is also painted glossy two tone like ESB

The dome is basically an ANH dome
with a wider Mohawk than the ESB
sits a little bit higher than the ESB did
and the Y crease and indented area of the Mohawk filled in
and painted same as ESB glossy black polished to a high shine

Just by looking at what I see would that be correct I can not see any other modifications
such as there being a difference in dome length or even that the masks vary in size from one another

Awesome helmets Gino love how they look on your life sized display's to me they really look like the real deal!

So coming to the ANH it's basically as I know the Brian Muir sculpt the ANH was the father of the ESB and ROTJ mask and helmet
so by looking at your helmets and using my logic
What changed from ANH-ESB-ROTJ is as follows

The ANH mask and dome was made
The mask has a small chin vent and is painted gloss black and brushed with silver highlighting
the Dome has a sharp widows peak with the Y crease and an indentation
the dome mowhawk on the ANH is the narrowest in with

The ESB was made from an ANH cast of the screen used original yes?
dome and face mask
hence I can to my eyes see that your ESB helmet reflects this
as it looks the same as the ANH but with the ESB modifications
so as I see for ESB
the mask is basically an ANH mask it's not smaller or narrower than the original ANH by looking at the photo
the lower chin vent is larger
and it's painted with very glossy paint and polished to a high glos shine

The dome
is basically an ANH dome except it seems for ESB
the sharp widows peak is trimmed down the Mohawk appears a bit wider
the Y crease is filled in it seems
and the dome sits bit higher on the face than the ANH dome
and is painted with gloss black and polished to a high gloss shine

and then the ROTJ is again an ANH mask and dome
with the mask
Having a larger than the ESB chin vent
but the mask is still the same size as the original ANH
the Mask is also painted glossy two tone like ESB

The dome is basically an ANH dome
with a wider Mohawk than the ESB
sits a little bit higher than the ESB did
and the Y crease and indented area of the Mohawk filled in
and painted same as ESB glossy black polished to a high shine

Just by looking at what I see would that be correct I can not see any other modifications
such as there being a difference in dome length or even that the masks vary in size from one another

I have to correct you on size.

My SL face mask is noticably bigger then my CFO mask. The ESB and ROTJ masks shrank a little.

20191016_215125.jpg

I have to correct you on size.

My SL face mask is noticably bigger then my CFO mask. The ESB and ROTJ masks shrank a little.
I know yes on what you have that is so but I'm asking Gino as what I'm seeing from his helmets as I look at them and when I went and looked as his life size displays that they all look ANH sized except for that the modifications from ANH - ESB-ROTJ

So I would like to hear what he has to say that is all [emoji16]

I know yes on what you have that is so but I'm asking Gino as what I'm seeing from his helmets as I look at them and when I went and looked as his life size displays that they all look ANH sized except for that the modifications from ANH - ESB-ROTJ

So I would like to hear what he has to say that is all [emoji16]

It's hard to see the size difference on a far full mannequin shot unless you have special better then 20/20 eye sight.

For authentically sourced masks the ANH has to be bigger. If it isn't then their sources should be questioned. It's a known fact now that ESB and ROTJ shrank.

When I received my SL the size was the very first thing I noticed, the crown showing it the best. It looks massive compared to any other helmet I've owned.

It's hard to see the size difference on a far full mannequin shot unless you have special better then 20/20 eye sight.

For authentically sourced masks the ANH has to be bigger. If it isn't then their sources should be questioned. It's a known fact now that ESB and ROTJ shrank.

When I received my SL the size was the very first thing I noticed, the crown showing it the best. It looks massive compared to any other helmet I've owned.

Yes i am fully aware the ANH is bigger and that the ESB and ROTJ shrunk but I am not asking for that info
im asking him personally if his helmet's are indeed all same sized like im observing with my eyes
or he will clarify that his helmet's ESB/ROTJ are smaller in degree than ANH aswell

I just very much like the look of Gino's helmets and would like some info on them personally for my own collecting
I don't need to know what cast or source just to know if my observation's pertaining to his helmets are wrong or right that is all man:)

Yes the GS and SL match in geometry. The SL is a direct copy of the og while the CFO(GS COPY) comes from ESB production molds that have suffered the slight shrinkage.
View attachment 1090321

Before the GS surfaced it was believed the changes to the dome were due to recasting and cleaning the molds. But we can confirm the ROTJ Dome existing during the production of ESB. So I'm not sure.
What is SL and GL please

What is SL and GL please

SL and GS is the name for vader helmets that come from an authentic to the movie production mold or an authentic mold
such as the Rick backer mold that was made of the orginal ANH helmet to make helmets for the tour ANH suite in the USA

SL was the forum name for the owner of that helmet Sith Lord
and I have no Idea what GS stood for but I assume it was the same idea

SL and GS is the name for vader helmets that come from an authentic to the movie production mold or an authentic mold
such as the Rick backer mold that was made of the orginal ANH helmet to make helmets for the tour ANH suite in the USA

SL was the forum name for the owner of that helmet Sith Lord
and I have no Idea what GS stood for but I assume it was the same idea

GS is the initials of the owner of that helmet.

GS is the initials of the owner of that helmet.
Thank you. I owned a helmet over a decade ago that had property of 20th century fox carved into the back of the dome skirt. was that a fake? remembering now, it had what looking like part of an ashtray (a ring with 3 cutouts in it) imbedded in the top of the mask. and a ring with knobs glassed into the inside of the dome.

Last edited:
The ESB and ROTJ helmets for the films are for the most part basically the same size as the ANH. The only size difference would be so very slight due to shrinkage from being molded one generation down which is almost not measurable. You can't rely on the SL or GS castings to prove anything because they are all castings of castings etc..
So to say the ESB and ROTJ are smaller may be technically true on a very very small level, it is not nearly the same degree as what you find in castings found in the fan community.

The ESB and ROTJ helmets for the films are for the most part basically the same size as the ANH. The only size difference would be so very slight due to shrinkage from being molded one generation down which is almost not measurable. You can't rely on the SL or GS castings to prove anything because they are all castings of castings etc..
So to say the ESB and ROTJ are smaller may be technically true on a very very small level, it is not nearly the same degree as what you find in castings found in the fan community.

Thank you very much for giving an answer to that question Gino much appreciated and logically it makes perfect sense
thanks for the input !

Would also love to see what you say about what I observed about your helmet's Gino if you
are willing to discuss it also sent you a pm thanks have a great day

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back