Hollywood Treasure - Returns 5/22/12

Yeah the deal with cash or auction is really bad. No way was Tracey going to toss that money around for the potential of a fake Wonder Woman prop. But I still like the show and the whole let's find real Hollywood props nature. The lady with the Marilyn Monroe hair off eBay was funny. I don't know how Joe didn't think the actual Hunt for Red October sub wouldn't beat that hat. It's one of the best submarine movies and it's one of Sean Connery's best non-Bond movies. That's the piece you display on the way to your movie room.

Also, that one guy looked like he was about to fight if he didn't get his Lost costume back.

I'm starting to wish for Monster Man, to come back to Syfy. Course all the stupid ghost and paranormal shows on Syfy is enough to make me never want to watch anything on that channel again.

There has been responses its not staged and fake, it is fake and staged alot of it. But you will always have a friend ,buddy etc saying thats not true ,but there wrong. I have been bidding and buying items for a long time from them.And i can tell horror stories as well as cool ones with them.There a business and thats it to make money, and in some episodes i know first hand that when theres a break more then half of audience gets up in to a pvt room for craft services ,only for paid actors. But regardless ,of all the hollywood ,show biz nonsense,its the only place you get to see some amazing collections and pieces ,that you would normally never see. And thats how show should be taken ,nothing more or less.

ive said it before and if you didnt know welcome to the real world, reality tv is fake, Survivor is fake, Pawn Stars is fake, the Real World MTV is fake, all of it, fake. Whether it be scripted heavily or loosely film crews cost money as does everything else related in getting footage to the screen. If these guys sat around waiting for "iconic" items to walk into the door you would get one season's worth of shows in five years. Yes the cash thing is terrible as is most of the out of left field set ups but keep in mind this is not a show for the 1% here in RPF land, its for the mindless microwave tv masses.

I do agree MonsterMan is horribly good while also being very accurate to the make up effects industry down to the God complex and inability to plan or budget. But also, fake.

Whether the show is scripted or not, I still enjoy having a show about props on TV! Secondly, I met Joe last year at Comic Con and he seemed sincere and passionate about what he does. He answered every person's question(s) with a smile no matter how many times he probably answered the same question during the entirety of the convention. Good in my book!

Is it me or does that John guy look like a complete DOOSH? His quick heads turns to Joe bug the "S" out of me

Why does Joe keep saying that people would be taking a risk if something goes to auction? Isn't that the very reason people set a MINIMUM starting bid? STOP THE BULL**** DRAMA AND SHOW ME PROPS.

/\ I would guess because the minimum starting bid might scare people if you start too high. Haven't there been items that no one bids on? I think that is what he means by risking at auction. Sure, you may want at least $15k for an item, but you really think that they are gonna want to start the bid at $15k? I think that is what he means when he talks about risking at auction.

Why does Joe keep saying that people would be taking a risk if something goes to auction? Isn't that the very reason people set a MINIMUM starting bid? STOP THE BULL**** DRAMA AND SHOW ME PROPS.

I think they put an "estimated value" in the catalog listing not a starting price, unless there is a reserve. Auction houses hate reserve bid listings (no buyer commish if unsold).

Doug

"It doesn't make sense that everyone would wait till the last second to see if anyone wants the item before bidding. Then once one person bids everyone starts bidding."

AGREED! Was watching last night's episode and I HATE...HATE that they delay the bidding on the items that ALWAYS end up selling for a bundle of cash. It's like there is a sign that says, DON'T BID YET...LOOK BORED.

Still love the props, though.

Solo, out.

AGREED! Was watching last night's episode and I HATE...HATE that they delay the bidding on the items that ALWAYS end up selling for a bundle of cash. It's like there is a sign that says, DON'T BID YET...LOOK BORED.

Still love the props, though.

Solo, out.

Have you guys been to a live auction before? This happens all the time.

I do agree the show needs a lot of tweaking though.

Doug

It's like there is a sign that says, DON'T BID YET...LOOK BORED

It's not a sign but rather in the script.

It is SOOO stupid that they try to make it look like these items aren't going to sell and then WHAM, people starting fighting over them.

It's just the lamest format. They need to kill the creative producer and get someone in there to revamp it the right way.

So Ed Zine is the guy with OCD?

Why is it always the people who claim they are the biggest fans always end up selling there stuff. Sigh.

From the thread about the Darth in Christies UK

Darth auction
Darth Vader costume The costume is thought to have been custom-made for the Star Wars series

The Darth Vader costume up for auction is being sold by American private collector who acquired it in 2003.

The auction notes say: "The costume is being sold on behalf of a gentleman recorded as having one of the most extreme cases of the debilitating condition Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) ever diagnosed.

"The costume came into the gentleman's possession after much tenacity in his quest to possess an original Darth Vader suit from The Empire Strikes Back, as an aid to battle the condition."

The owner bought two suits from a UK company that had been authorised to create "second generation Vader suits for promotional purposes".

After examining differences in the second suit, the collector came to the conclusion "that he was now the owner of production-made helmet, mask, shoulder armour, and shin-guard components".

Christie's notes: "To say it is screen-used is difficult as there would be several production-made helmets, masks and shoulder guards, just to cope with the sheer intensity and requirements of filming."

I still can not believe how much those X2 Claws went for. My brother sold a screen used set from XMen Origins or X3 back in like 2008ish at this place "Hollywood film office". The main supplier was someone who worked for Stan Wiston. Long story short the claws, sold at his office for around 250 bucks, yet a few years later a similar pair went for Thousands of dollars. Makes me wish I would of bought them and then taken to PIH last show off day or whatever. I totally could of repainted my whole car with the profits from their sale!!!

I loved that moment when they were making an offer on the wolverine tags.

Joe says he can offer this much and the guy says "but you have more money in your hand"

I loved that moment when they were making an offer on the wolverine tags.

Joe says he can offer this much and the guy says "but you have more money in your hand"

Ever since they started doing cash deals I always think "You don't put a whole wad of cash on the table so they see how much you brought!!!"

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back