Babylon 5: The Road Home

Cephus

Master Member
Saw it last night and frankly, not all that impressed. The animation still isn't great and a lot of the female characters look almost identical, especially Ivanova and Lockley. The voice actors for the actors that have passed are... underwhelming, especially G'Kar. I think they were trying for a decent accent for Delenn, but G'Kar sounded entirely generic.

Worst was the story. It was just endless 'memberberries and nothing else. If this was supposed to get people excited for a potential new series, it didn't do it for me. It was just "oh yeah, there was this show, remember?" They were too self-aware and the story didn't mean anything. It wasn't a way to kick off a new plot. It was "remember these characters?"

I remember. We all remember. What was the point of doing this again?

I finished it. And I enjoyed it, even with the drawbacks you mentioned with two of the casting (but, I can say they at least tried to keep the voices as close to the characters as possible). I actually hope to see more from the franchise, even if it’s in animated form.

Last edited:
Disney tried it with the animated Tron: Uprising, which was WELL done story wise and voice cast wise, but it suffered and was canceled (It was on Disney XD of all things!)

Disney tried it with the animated Tron: Uprising, which was WELL done story wise and voice cast wise, but it suffered and was canceled (It was on Disney XD of all things!)
I actually liked Tron Uprising, but it wasn't just a nostalgia grab. It had a good story, decent animation for the time and it was enjoyable even if you weren't a huge fan of the movie(s).

I actually liked Tron Uprising, but it wasn't just a nostalgia grab. It had a good story, decent animation for the time and it was enjoyable even if you weren't a huge fan of the movie(s).
To be fair, there wasn’t much of a nostalgia grab with the B5 animated film. There was, IIRC, one flashback and the rest was just alternate realities, one jump back to an event we’ve heard and slightly seen, and one jump forward in time. Seeing this story involves Sheridan just after he left B5 (as seen in Season 5) and involved a couple of alternate realities, it makes sense we get to see some familiar faces. But, it doesn’t come off as a nostalgia grab to me, but more of keeping in continuity in events, concepts and feelings.

But, to each their own. If you feel it’s a nostalgia grab, nothing I say would be able to change your view.

Last edited:
Except it was. It was just moving from character to character so people could say "I remember that!" The scene with Ivanova and Londo, sitting in deck chairs on the Titanic. There was no reason for them to be there at all. It was just "we have more characters we have to squeeze in!" The entire story was just a jaunt across the B5 universe from character to character, just so you got them all.

I'm not saying you can't have enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything to look forward to. It was just 'memberberries all the way down.

The question has to be asked, is there anything here that would attract a person not already a fan of B5? Is it a good story on its own without the nostalgia? I just don't see it.

Except it was. It was just moving from character to character so people could say "I remember that!" The scene with Ivanova and Londo, sitting in deck chairs on the Titanic. There was no reason for them to be there at all. It was just "we have more characters we have to squeeze in!" The entire story was just a jaunt across the B5 universe from character to character, just so you got them all.

I'm not saying you can't have enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything to look forward to. It was just 'memberberries all the way down.

The question has to be asked, is there anything here that would attract a person not already a fan of B5? Is it a good story on its own without the nostalgia? I just don't see it.
Though I disagree with you, because of the scenarios and the fact that Babylon 5 is known for the characters as much as the story, you are entitled and welcomed to your opinion. And to answer your question, yes, this kind of film would attract a person not interested in B5, and more than likely would invoke them to want to check out the series proper because of the characters alone.

My question is whether it's worth $19.99 or should I wait?

From what I've heard, this helps tie in the reboot by introducing multiple universes. I think that is actually a smart way to ease fans into a rebooted series that they might otherwise have turned away from. Yeah multi-verses are overdone, but that would make me more at ease about a hard reboot.

Is this free on the cartoon network? I'm not paying to see it and I bought the series in HD.

If they wanted to do something interesting, they should have finished Crusade. Like Stargate Universe (that sucked at first, but was just becoming interesting when the Syphilis Channel killed it) it needed some time to find its footing. I'd rather have seen an animated finish to it than some new half baked trip to say, "Remember when B5 was an actual show and not a nostalgia trip?"

Of course, said shadow of a channel it used to be promised a resolution to Stargate Atlantis in movies like SG-1, but instead left it AND Universe on cliff hangers, a lot like the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

There is nothing worse in TV and movies made for video than unfinished stories and it happens all the time because they never want the gravy train to end when ratings are good and want to kill it instantly when ratings start to fall, leaving no time to film an ending or worse, the series changes audiences and plots to make money and ceases to be funny to its original audience (e.g. Big Bang Theory, starting around season 4 and not one funny episode after Season 6, IMO).

Last edited:
There is nothing worse in TV and movies made for video than unfinished stories and it happens all the time because they never want the gravy train to end when ratings are good and want to kill it instantly when ratings start to fall, leaving no time to film an ending or worse, the series changes audiences and plots to make money and ceases to be funny to its original audience (e.g. Big Bang Theory, starting around season 4 and not one funny episode after Season 6, IMO).
I know, it's like these studios are actually in it to make money or something and profit margins to look after and stock holders they're beholden. How crazy.

I know, it's like these studios are actually in it to make money or something and profit margins to look after and stock holders they're beholden. How crazy.
Some might say the long term effects of simply destroying tv shows when ratings start to drop leads to long term distrust, anger and a lack of viewers for anything they do.

I stopped watching the Syfy channel many years ago 100%. I do not care one iota about anything those money grubbing garbage pushers do anymore. By destroying beloved tv series like Stargate and pushing garbage like Sharknado they've proven they really are now the Syphilis Channel, not Sci-Fi. They cannot bring me back. They've lost a customer for life.

Some of us are now viewing Disney exactly the same way, Marvel be damned. Instead of a company that cares about great storytelling that Walt created, they are nothing but an organized criminal style organization that only cares about the moment, extreme partisan media image over storytelling and separating park goers from every last penny of their money, not offering a family experience that they will want to return to again and again. Some have left and aren't coming back, just like with Syfy. Disney stock is tanking for a reason.

If money is all you love then that's what you'll receive. -Leia

The Japanese tried to teach us in the 80s that the extreme push for short term profits are shortsighted and might lead to a good near term quarter for a brief period of time, but ultimately leads to the degradation or outright destruction of the company. It's clear to me that we've haven't learned a damn thing.

Anyone still actually watching Stargate Universe, for example, could see it was improving greatly in the 2nd season, but instead of waiting for ratings to improve and having a long term hit, they just killed it off. Stargate Atlantis was more popular, but they chose to start over rather than renegotiate contracts (heaven forbid they pay actors and writers what they're actually worth. The recent writers guild strike speaks to that still being true).

"If you want to have a hit, you gotta make it quick..." -Billy Joel.

Syfy doesn't do anything for more than 5 seasons because they have to renegotiate contracts. Virtually no scripted show runs longer than that. Ever since the name change, it's been a crap channel and I can't think of anything I've watched there in years.

I've got better things to do with my time than watch garbage TV.

Syfy doesn't do anything for more than 5 seasons because they have to renegotiate contracts. Virtually no scripted show runs longer than that. Ever since the name change, it's been a crap channel and I can't think of anything I've watched there in years.

I've got better things to do with my time than watch garbage TV.
Yeah, there wouldn't have been 10 seasons of SG-1 if Syfy owned it at the time. But then SG-1 really did go on too long. Richard Dean Anderson had long since tired of it and without him, it really wasn't the same.

Booting Torri Higginson off Atlantis to boost ratings (it did the opposite) was a mistake as well. I liked her since Tek War.

My question is whether it's worth $19.99 or should I wait?

From what I've heard, this helps tie in the reboot by introducing multiple universes. I think that is actually a smart way to ease fans into a rebooted series that they might otherwise have turned away from. Yeah multi-verses are overdone, but that would make me more at ease about a hard reboot.
Nobody knows anything about the reboot. The film might tie stuff in, but it might not, and might just be an opportunity for additional animated features (which I'd be fine with).

Regardless, the reboot is in limbo for multiple reasons -- WB being WBD now, Zaslav being a ****ing idiot, and of course the WGA and SAG strikes.

What I suspect is that there's some interest in seeing what this franchise can do, but it's an open question as to how far it goes. I bought it, but haven't watched it yet. I'm still working my way thru my current re-watch and reading canonical novels alongside it. I'll get to it when that's all done. But I was happy to support it because I love the franchise and I think that it stands out as one of the best plotted shows of all time.

But I was happy to support it because I love the franchise and I think that it stands out as one of the best plotted shows of all time.
Agreed. B5 was a serialized, or at least partially serialized, show before serialized shows became the norm that they are now. It also didn't hurt that JMS had the entire series plotted out in advance and knew from the beginning exactly how the show was going to end. Shows like LOST would have benefitted greatly from that sort of pre-planning, including writing in trap doors for in case an actor leaves the show or, as in the case of B5, the show seems like it's going to be cancelled early but doesn't.

The final season of B5 felt weak because JMS was afraid they were going to be canceled and wanted the Shadow War finished if that was the case. Sadly, the Shadow War felt a bit rushed as a result and left a lot of weak plots for Season 5. Personally, I hated the Psy characters (Byron's group), despite enjoying Walter Koenig's character throughout.

I would have liked to have seen Crusade proceed at least as far as the cure, although it sounds like bigger things were in store. I'd much rather see that done with a new cast than a reboot of B5 as it would be new material for the most part.

They're not going to beat the original cast, just disappoint people, IMO. They could redo the special effects to true HD and more realism if they really wanted to "improve" the series, along with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. That plus a new Crusade would be a much better service to the fans, but sadly the studios only want proven projects (reboots for TV; movies can get sequels, but not shows unless they're continuations).

Frankly, a reboot would not be able to survive the woke wagon train and just further disappoint fans with endless episodes about gender, race, required introductions with personal pronouns and apologies for the "colonization" of other planets (the new cause of the Earth/Minbari War?). Snore....

Last edited:
Nobody knows anything about the reboot. The film might tie stuff in, but it might not, and might just be an opportunity for additional animated features (which I'd be fine with).

Regardless, the reboot is in limbo for multiple reasons -- WB being WBD now, Zaslav being a ****ing idiot, and of course the WGA and SAG strikes.

What I suspect is that there's some interest in seeing what this franchise can do, but it's an open question as to how far it goes. I bought it, but haven't watched it yet. I'm still working my way thru my current re-watch and reading canonical novels alongside it. I'll get to it when that's all done. But I was happy to support it because I love the franchise and I think that it stands out as one of the best plotted shows of all time.

I've only read the Technomage and Telepath trilogies, are any of the others good? I know there's an ebook that Claudia Christian wrote, based on a JMS outline, but I haven't read it yet.

The final season of B5 felt weak because JMS was afraid they were going to be canceled and wanted the Shadow War finished if that was the case. Sadly, the Shadow War felt a bit rushed as a result and left a lot of weak plots for Season 5. Personally, I hated the Psy characters (Byron's group), despite enjoying Walter Koenig's character throughout.

I would have liked to have seen Crusade proceed at least as far as the cure, although it sounds like bigger things were in store. I'd much rather see that done with a new cast than a reboot of B5 as it would be new material for the most part.

They're not going to beat the original cast, just disappoint people, IMO. They could redo the special effects to true HD and more realism if they really wanted to "improve" the series, along with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. That plus a new Crusade would be a much better service to the fans, but sadly the studios only want proven projects (reboots for TV; movies can get sequels, but not shows unless they're continuations).

Frankly, a reboot would not be able to survive the woke wagon train and just further disappoint fans with endless episodes about gender, race, required introductions with personal pronouns and apologies for the "colonization" of other planets (the new cause of the Earth/Minbari War?). Snore....
The remastered versions are actually pretty good for "true HD". I was skeptical at first, especially because they lose the 16:9 formatting, but on the whole I've been happy with my rewatch.

There's more to the story of Season 5 than has been told here. As I understand it, several things happened that contributed to it being probably the weakest season of the show (and I include 1 with that).

First, there was the threat of cancellation. It was unclear towards the end of Season 4 what was going to happen with the show. Would it be renewed or cancelled? JMS always envisioned the show (and had planned for it) to be 5 seasons long, and had a general plot (plus trap doors) for the whole thing, but not necessarily a specific episode-by-episode plot in mind. But towards the end of Season 4, it seemed the show might end up cancelled. So, they filmed the finale, "Sleeping in Light" to be used as a final episode of Season 4. I think that would've mostly worked, but without the denouement we get in Season 5.

Then the show got renewed, so they filmed the Season 4 finale, which I actually really like. It's very different, but it's fun.

In the run-up to Season 5, two things happened that I think kinda hurt the season. First, Claudia Christian left the show. The precise details of her departure are...unclear to me. There are multiple stories that have surfaced over the years and I don't know which is the truth, which is only a partial truth, or whether they're all true and still require additional info to fully piece together. Suffice to say that with Ivanova gone, storylines that were probably gonna go to her had to be shifted to other characters (e.g., Lyta).

The other story I heard just recently was that JMS had more detailed notes for how he was going to do the story for Season 5...and they wound up being lost in a hotel room during a convention. Housekeeping tidied them into the trash or something. But it meant that he had to scramble to throw together a season again, and do it all in a rush.

I will say that I find the Byron storyline to be...irritating, but mostly because (1) I don't like how Byron was portrayed (even if I like his actor's other work), (2) I found that a bunch of the writing for Byron was too "Byron-esque" by which I mean overwrought, and (3) I thought it was misplaced as just a 5-episode mini-arc that then gets dropped. It would've been one thing if telepaths and telepath rights vs. psi-corp became a big issue in the rest of the season and carried into future stuff. But as it stands, we never see the Telepath War. It's hinted at, but we never see it actually happen. Several of the official novels talk about the background for Psi-Corps, and they're actually pretty cool and interesting, but we don't see the actual conflict itself. Anyway, the Byron arc is weak. No question. Not awful, but weak. It also doesn't help that it feels like everything else is just treading water at that point. The Drakh are only barely getting moving, setting the Centauri against the remaining Alliance worlds, the Alliance itself is just doing some boring political stuff, so the entire focus shifts to Byron and his community theater rejects. (WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE LONG HAIR?!?!?!)

But when they switch to the Centauri war, things get good. It also sets up some interesting stuff in some of the books. I'm reading them at the moment and rather enjoying them. And the finale....holy cow, it breaks my heart in the best way.
I've only read the Technomage and Telepath trilogies, are any of the others good? I know there's an ebook that Claudia Christian wrote, based on a JMS outline, but I haven't read it yet.

So far, I've read the first two Telepath books, and am currently reading the first Centauri trilogy book. It's good so far. Much like the Telepath series, they really nail Londo's voice. Vir (so far) seems pretty good, too.

I gather there are two other books that are worth reading: (1) To Dream in the City of Sorrows, and (2) The Shadow Within, which I gather is kind of a prelude to the Telepath trilogy, given that it's written by the same author (Jeanne Cavelos).

These books are not hard to find, but they're getting expensive.

There are also several other novels, but they apparently weren't based on anything JMS wrote, so they're just kinda meh at best.

The live action looked fine in HD, but the outside shots were pretty much just upmixed. The effects were OK for the 90s (and I had an Amiga that the pilot was rendered on with Lightwave 3D), but let's face it, they could probably make something now that looks 10x better and more realistic for half the cost. Proper modern effects could make B5 look modern.

I think the move to 4:3 was also a poor decision. People hate black bars. Re-rendering could help solve that too as zooming in made the outside effects look that much cheaper.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back