Toho Godzilla returns "Godzilla Minus One"

I'm planning on seeing Minus Color at least twice if I can. Boy and the Heron I had to watch both dub and sub.

This is how it happened for me. I saw the B/W version twice and saw the subbed Boy and the Heron twice. I'm a big lover of black and white and I think I prefer Minus One in b/w, if I'm honest. It isn't true black and white as it wasn't shot, lit, or costumed for b/w film stock (digital black and white is slightly shifted green whereas b/w film stock is slightly red), but the subtraction of color really helps abstract the image. It helps mask the dodgier effects and pulls me into it more by forcing me to reference the visual library in my mind subconsciously to make sense of the imagery.

I didn't just see older audiences in this version, too. Parents brought their kids to a black and white movie and they ate it up! I couldn't believe it. It honestly makes me wonder if there's a resurgence of black and white use in films coming.

This is how it happened for me. I saw the B/W version twice and saw the subbed Boy and the Heron twice. I'm a big lover of black and white and I think I prefer Minus One in b/w, if I'm honest. It isn't true black and white as it wasn't shot, lit, or costumed for b/w film stock (digital black and white is slightly shifted green whereas b/w film stock is slightly red), but the subtraction of color really helps abstract the image. It helps mask the dodgier effects and pulls me into it more by forcing me to reference the visual library in my mind subconsciously to make sense of the imagery.

I didn't just see older audiences in this version, too. Parents brought their kids to a black and white movie and they ate it up! I couldn't believe it. It honestly makes me wonder if there's a resurgence of black and white use in films coming.
Okay interesting. What you're describing is what I'm anticipating. I was worried that a simple de-saturation was going to come off as just a novelty. I'm wondering if it will give a vibe of 1954 Goji. I'll find out later today:).

It's really amazing how well the film has done despite having practically no promotion. Imagine if it had.

Okay interesting. What you're describing is what I'm anticipating. I was worried that a simple de-saturation was going to come off as just a novelty. I'm wondering if it will give a vibe of 1954 Goji. I'll find out later today:).

It's really amazing how well the film has done despite having practically no promotion. Imagine if it had.

Crazy theory.... word of mouth resulted in better market performance in this instance?

Bombed with ads like we usually get, maybe that would not have worked as well.

little Furuta trading collectors item I picked up.

jLdW48ll.jpg

And got this released in Japan only G Minus 1 version of this model on order. No plans to build this one. I can order the regular kit for that. Will display for the awesome box art.

EFpMGWLh.jpg

Last edited:
little Furuta trading collectors item I picked up.

View attachment 1784803

And got this released in Japan only G Minus 1 version of this model on order. No plans to build this one. I can order the regular kit for that. Will display for the awesome box art.

View attachment 1784804

As I was watching this scene the other night, I was wondering when we'll be getting models.

last chance, going tonight!

Same. I'm glad you're able to catch it! I remember you mentioned there were no showtimes after work.

I'm still annoyed Godzilla wasn't nominated for best picture but hey, I was happy it won for best special effects. Was hoping Perfect Days would also win. I got to see it a couple of weeks ago and it's brilliant. It would have been a sweep for Japan with The Boy and the Heron winning also.

Last edited:
Good for the viz team and all, but keep your Oscar, gimme the B/W version on home video, please!

April is when it's supposed to hit physical release and I'm chomping at the bit to snag the B/W version.

I forgot that tonight was the Academy Awards...not like I would have actually watched anyways, but saw that it was tonight, after it was all over.
But yeah, glad they won best visual effects.
Not really surprised Oppenheimer won best picture, and so many others.

Good for the viz team and all, but keep your Oscar, gimme the B/W version on home video, please!

April is when it's supposed to hit physical release and I'm chomping at the bit to snag the B/W version.
Last I heard, they weren't releasing it until later in the year.

I forgot that tonight was the Academy Awards...not like I would have actually watched anyways, but saw that it was tonight, after it was all over.
But yeah, glad they won best visual effects.
Not really surprised Oppenheimer won best picture, and so many others.
Yeah, it was one of those times where I could tell who was going to win even without having seen every movie. They mostly got it right I guess. Whatever. It's all a show.

The Japanese blu ray set is releasing May 1st and it has both color and b/w versions (y) The western set will likely be the same. I hope there's a good amount of bonus material.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back