Hogwarts in my Home - Gryffindor Common Room in progress

This is a fantastic project!

We've been considering taking our home library this route, and seeing several threads with people taking the plunge has moved us at least one step closer to actually taking it on.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg
Painting painting painting, lots of painting... a little magic would be really handy about now!

Grimstitch,
The fireplace is looking amazing!! I think you are doing a wonderful job. Thank you for taking all of these pictures and taking us all along on this project with you :)

:) not terribly much, had the flu. I hit the thrift shops for more found pieces and am mostly finished building the long ottoman to go in front of the fireplace. It's a bit big compared to scale on the real set, but to be functional, a lot of things here have to be way off - like to to fit the low ceiling here, my fireplace is much smaller than the original, but a chair is normal chair sized etc.. I think I'm just going to have to live with that and hope it still achieves the overall effect. I realized too that my McGonagall painting might be too large to put above the wall cabinet where it should go, so I might have to remake it smaller. Undecided on that for now. :)

ok here's the footstool wip (built from an IKEA wine shelf, bed legs, buttons, batting and an upholstery scrap) and the finished product (still need to add a fabric trim) along with books to recover and some set prop approximations that I found that can be replaced later if I ever find more exact matches.

ottoman2.jpgottomanandprops.jpg

Wow! this project is absolutely astonishing!
Have you ever played Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix videogame? The developers did a REALLY great job in re-creating the Hogwarts environments. You can actually see things from different perspective, or look closely at all the details (not that you need it anyway, your work so far is impressive :D). I thought it might help!

Thanks Rufus, I haven't played it but I have seen some gameplays on youtube that were pretty helpful. It's the one where you can talk to the paintings and stuff? I also found a couple of pics of the cardboard maquette/model at the studio tour that really let me understand the set better. :)

Unfortunately no more updates you guys would want to see at the moment. I am working on it but because this area of the house was previously the crafting/painting area, part of this project is moving and setting up all that stuff in the tool room instead which is taking some serious doing. Needs to be done, but not terribly exciting. :)

Spring projects been keeping me busy, but now that the hotter weather is calling me back to the indoors I thought it might be time to get back to Hogwarts. :) One new item done at any rate - bodged up a half decent looking Gryffindor chandelier/light fixture with a few odds and ends. Had to compromise the design a bit from the original due to smaller dimensions and the need for it to be an actual light source.
gryffindorchandelier.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back