Hogwarts in my Home - Gryffindor Common Room in progress

Mooniteman,
I am a quilter and I have had friends use Spoonflower to print fabrics before and they have done a very nice job. I am very interested to see how they do on your order. Please post a picture if you could of your fabric when you get it :) I would love to see how it truned out and your take on it :)

Will do! Looking forward to seeing how they execute it!

Spoonflower is a freaking AMAZING!!!!!!! The quality is insanely beyond what I expected!!!!!!!!

Here is a pic of the unhemmed piece I just got my girlfirend (hanging in my doorway) - I fit it to the biggest specs that Spoonflower offered on the heavy cotton. It was about $30

IMG_1311 (1).jpg

There are recently released HD scans of the "Gryffindor" tapestries (The Lady and the Unicorn) and for 30 bucks (or cheaper with thinner fabric) you can get a 54" tall tapestry and puzzle them together! By Grapthar's Hammer - what a savings! ...I might be doing this since the one tapestry I do have was quite pricey.

Wow, it DOES look AMAZING!!! Like I said I quilt and I have had friends who have ordered from Spoonflower and they have all been happy. Please share pictures when you have this piece in place :) Would love to see the scans of the Gryffindor tapestries ;)

that came out really nice!!!
even the cheapest tapestry of the smaller version of this is somewhere around $200+ so only spending $30 is deferentially the way to go man!!!
i wonder if they will give you a discount on buying more then one....i'm sure if you ended up doing all the tapestries and a few of us all went in with you at the same time....maybe magic can happen?!?!

Spoonflower is a freaking AMAZING!!!!!!! The quality is insanely beyond what I expected!!!!!!!!

Here is a pic of the unhemmed piece I just got my girlfirend (hanging in my doorway) - I fit it to the biggest specs that Spoonflower offered on the heavy cotton. It was about $30

View attachment 423915

There are recently released HD scans of the "Gryffindor" tapestries (The Lady and the Unicorn) and for 30 bucks (or cheaper with thinner fabric) you can get a 54" tall tapestry and puzzle them together! By Grapthar's Hammer - what a savings! ...I might be doing this since the one tapestry I do have was quite pricey.

But ok, I'm officially back at work on this after my holiday hiatus. Not much new to show - still working on my various paintings and tonight did some plaster mudding to hide the joins in the foam stone (still wet in these pics). Trying to be patient and prepare fully before I add paint. Hopefully that will be the point where the magic will really happen.

image (1).jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has more info on this little green spider prop that the studio tour has sitting on one of the gryffindor tables - These are the only two pictures I could find that show it with any clarity at all (not my photos). I think it's like a card box? but possibly a book with green edged pages? It doesn't REALLY matter as I can fairly easily approximate the look of all this stuff and it's supposed to be just a themed kids room after all, but I am getting a wee bit detail obsessed. :) also lol at the visible electric cord on the lamp!

greenspiderondesk.jpg

It kind of looks like a taxedermy tarantula in a frame to me

oh interesting! I never even thought of that! Possible. It looks flat in one photo, but maybe not in the other. I'm not sure we ever see this thing onscreen. Anyone going to the studio tour soon that can look? :)

Haha it cracks me up that under "materials", those listings are like "wood, tarantula". :)

hmm I'm not sure "Hermione" will like an actual giant spider in the room though. I might have to go with a graphic or rubber one.

And the dead armadillo is another issue. (also not my photo) Perhaps I could mold him in clay.

armadillo.jpg

Oddly enough, I have seen resin Armadillo lawn ornaments in home and garden stores. They may not be exact replicas, but it could be an alternative for you.

Haha it cracks me up that under "materials", those listings are like "wood, tarantula". :)

hmm I'm not sure "Hermione" will like an actual giant spider in the room though. I might have to go with a graphic or rubber one.

And the dead armadillo is another issue. (also not my photo) Perhaps I could mold him in clay.

View attachment 425616

Just ask one of the Texas member on here to pick one up for you! They are just laying around all over the place. Some might be more flat than others but talk about cheap!!!

image.jpg

Well here's what I came up with to achieve the look of that spider box without a real spider.

I had had a little hinged wood box kicking around already so I painted it green, found and printed an illustration that seemed about right, glued it to the box, added gold leaf edging, varnish and she's done. :)

and that's how you use what you got to make it work!

grimstitch;3536 596 said:
View attachment 426064

Well here's what I came up with to achieve the look of that spider box without a real spider.

I had had a little hinged wood box kicking around already so I painted it green, found and printed an illustration that seemed about right, glued it to the box, added gold leaf edging, varnish and she's done. :)

isn't it funny how synchronicity works..... couple days after looking for the tarantula shadow boxes i see this picture while randomly surfing around:
lol2.jpg look up on the wall lol

Hehe, definitely don't see them every day!

Exciting things happening here in past few days. I broke down and put a first layer of paint on the fireplace (despite all the walls not being done) and it's looking pretty good! Also built a second "window" to emulate the little one that's almost hidden inside the set's fireplace, out of a mirror, paint and lead strip. Will post pictures soon!

Nice catch ultraman. And I remember seeing some ultraman on TV growing up. He predated power rangers by a longshot.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back