Harry Potter - Golden Snitch - DH version, Opening snitch modelling

No way! This is amazing! Great job.

Thank you. Here's an update for you guys, I've done some detail work on my horcrux ring, and I ordered it in Cast brass, check out this render isn't it beautiful?

Ring Render - Brass.jpg

I also tried to leave material missing on the stone to try and get the deathly hallows symbol to show up inside the print like this:
Stone STl.jpg

So hopefully, one of the stones I ordered will show the symbol as I ordered Black acrylic and frosted (which is transparent) I hope to have them in hand by christmas, but with the way the post works up here, it may be closer to early January.

Wow incredible detail there...looking forward to seeing actual pictures.!

Sent from my vivo Xplay3S using Tapatalk

Ok, here it is:

Left is my test print ring, right is the noble ring, center is the ring that will fit into my snitch.
The stone did not print with the void for the symbol, so for now I'm still thinking how to do it. Good news is that the stone sits inside without falling out, without glue.

My ring is made of cast brass, stone is made of black acrylic.

IMG_0235_zpsodqgbf1p.jpg

A pic of mine and the noble collection ring:

IMG_0236_zpsqmx04239.jpg

More pics of my ring:

IMG_0237_zpsnu6d3p3r.jpg

IMG_0238_zpspcq2vuvi.jpg

IMG_0239_zps6xt5eciq.jpg

IMG_0240_zpsd6mmv0hn.jpg

And here's the ring inside the snitch, it is a bit loose, but I plan on picking up some museum putty to fix it in place.

IMG_0245_zps3vu1o5qo.jpg

IMG_0244_zpsdbl1um4x.jpg

And It fully closes with the ring inside:
IMG_0243_zpsrasngeb4.jpg

I think I'm as close as I'm getting :)

Compare%202_zpsqpqqiis6.jpg

Here's the fun part everyone:

View attachment Ring and Stone Files.zip

I'm giving the STL files for the ring and the stone to everyone.

If you want one, go to shapeways, upload the models and order them in the materials you want.
Just a warning, the ring has intricate features, and you will get warnings from shapeways, I did on every material except frosted ultra detail.
But as you can see it will work in cast brass. It may or may not work in the 14k plated gold, the plating might fill features, but it might be alright, I don't know. Shapeways is usually good and will let you know if something isn't going to work. I will not be editing the file further.

NO one is allowed to sell the file or the product to others, this is not why I'm giving it and it will be removed if it happens.

The cost of the ring in cast brass was about $30 USD and the stone I printed last was in Black Acrylic and was about $3.50 USD, I'd suggest the black acrylic over the black plastic, the finish is nicer. I also tried the stone in frosted, and it didn't turn out very good so I wouldn't recommend it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
All this, both the snitch and the ring, is awesome. Is there anyway to purchase a version of both of them together?

Or to at least get the snitch? (Much like everyone else I need it for a proposal :) )

All this, both the snitch and the ring, is awesome. Is there anyway to purchase a version of both of them together?

Or to at least get the snitch? (Much like everyone else I need it for a proposal :) )

I'm sorry, but the snitch is no longer available from me. The ring is free use, I released that model and you can order one for yourself on Shapeways or another printing service.

Message bennygorilla to see if his snitch is ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how can we persuade you to repost your snitch? There seems to be more than a few of us that would love to purchase one of your beautiful design.

Pretty please? :)

So, how can we persuade you to repost your snitch? There seems to be more than a few of us that would love to purchase one of your beautiful design.

Pretty please? :)

I'm sorry but it's really not going to happen from me, I've stopped selling them for personal reasons which I will not be getting in to. Again, very sorry but my snitch is retired. Feel free to look into bennygorilla 's snitch though as it is very similar.

Specifically, it is almost 5 mm bigger in diameter. Mine was 42 mm, benny's appears to be 46.7 mm in diameter

I just measured it in my CAD browser. It's W=49.78, H= 50.43, D=50.08, if you look at it front on (with the writing) unfortunately because of the mechanism the space is too small to house the horcrux ring. which is a shame, but i've editted Monkey540 file to try to make one that does fit, but can only be printed in plastic, as it's too fine detail for cast metal. It's printing at the moment, hopefully it will work out.

I just measured it in my CAD browser. It's W=49.78, H= 50.43, D=50.08, if you look at it front on (with the writing) unfortunately because of the mechanism the space is too small to house the horcrux ring. which is a shame, but i've editted @Monkey540 file to try to make one that does fit, but can only be printed in plastic, as it's too fine detail for cast metal. It's printing at the moment, hopefully it will work out.

Ah, I was going off the largest dimension on shapeways models for my comparison, looke like it's a fair amount bigger.

That's odd you say that about the cast, cause my detailed ring shows errors for all materials except frosted detail plastic, but from experience the cast metals retained better detail than the plastic prints. Probably cause it's printed in wax first.

Your ring space is smaller? Wouldn't have guessed.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back