You’ll recoil in horror when I tell you this… One of my first forays into this hobby I managed to get my hands on a Pat vintage folmer and bodged the hole alignment for the grip rivets, the drill bit skipped around and they were up and down all over the place. I did this with a hand drill without a guide dent… thing… tool, to pop a dent where the drill goes. I’ve since learnt my lesson. If you are able to get hold of a pillar drill (my friend has one) that’s ideal. Though honestly I don’t drill the holes under the grips anymore. I just pop the rivet, cut them short and glue them to the grips.

You’ll recoil in horror when I tell you this… One of my first forays into this hobby I managed to get my hands on a Pat vintage folmer and bodged the hole alignment for the grip rivets, the drill bit skipped around and they were up and down all over the place. I did this with a hand drill without a guide dent… thing… tool, to pop a dent where the drill goes. I’ve since learnt my lesson. If you are able to get hold of a pillar drill (my friend has one) that’s ideal. Though honestly I don’t drill the holes under the grips anymore. I just pop the rivet, cut them short and glue them to the grips.

Oh my!:eek:

20190508_085825.jpg

Is this the right kind of tape? Seems kind of thick...

I too have never glued grips. I think I will try the tape trick, and use tape to clamp each grip during cure, but can you only glue one grip at a time, with 3 days cure each= 21 days total?! Also- is it difficult to keep the grips parallel to the tube and to each other?

I always glue 1 grip a day with e6000. I have done all 6 esb in one day. But I prefer 1 at a time to make sure they don’t move out of orientation

I've always used two part epoxy. It's kind of a pain to apply and takes a long time but it holds well and if I want to remove the grips I just put the bottom half in the freezer for a bit.

I've always used two part epoxy. It's kind of a pain to apply and takes a long time but it holds well and if I want to remove the grips I just put the bottom half in the freezer for a bit.

Ha! Never heard of the freezer trick before!! Very clever!

Interesting. That's where the E6000 is good also. You can actually peel them off if you want to. Not easy but totally doable. The residue cleans off easily as well. For TK armour building E6000 is the go to adhesive for these reasons plus its very strong and flexible grip.

Interesting. That's where the E6000 is good also. You can actually peel them off if you want to. Not easy but totally doable. The residue cleans off easily as well. For TK armour building E6000 is the go to adhesive for these reasons plus its very strong and flexible grip.

Do you use some kind of remover on the trooper armor? Or do you just peel it off?

I use googone on the flashes, but I’d be too afraid to try it on trooper abs

Can vouch for the 3M tape. We use it at the shop in QC to hold parts for checking and it holds like a strong magnet. Great stuff
What kind do you use? I'm having trouble finding thin enough tape online. Everything I've found either to thick, or doesn't tell me the thickness, or comes in bulk.

Anyone ever try double sided tape used for flooring? I've done quite a few kitchen and bathroom floors with that stuff. It's nice and thin.

Do you use some kind of remover on the trooper armor? Or do you just peel it off?

I use googone on the flashes, but I’d be too afraid to try it on trooper abs

The few times I have done it, once the pieces are peeled apart the residue can just be peeled off from each of the pieces where ever it is sticking. Comes off a lot like the goo they use to stick your new credit card to the paper when they mail it to you.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back