The Star Wars discourse has gotten so messy and both sides are really to blame now.

We now have Prequel apologists and people rewriting history saying that people LOVED the prequels lol. While it may be looked back on a little more fondly for the memes (Hello there); they were still terrible movies for being so disjointed. This argument is also made for both why the Sequel trilogy will be hated and eventually loved...

There were toxic fans, mostly against the Anakins imo. Lloyd was bullied at school for playing Anakin which is really unfortunate. Christensen was also criticized. I think we can argue that modern actors like Tran suffer more insults thanks to the greater prevalence of social media and how easy it is to send out a tweet andtheir release of these fans do detract from properly critiquing a film or product as bad imo (dont insult or attack actors for doing their job).

But yeah, corporations are now using the excuse of toxic fans to justify their harsh attitudes. On the one hand, it is kind of cool that corporations are going to bat for their employees. But on the other, they are redirecting attention away from making bad products to put the onus on the consumers. Even critiques of "super hero movie fatigue" is a poor excuse for the MCU just releasing bad movies.

Ep#9 sold about 50% as many tickets as ep#7. The prequel fall-off was like half that bad.

The prequels were very frustrating but they didn't kill the franchise. I don't think there is room to debate it. There was still demand for more SW after the prequels, especially after a few years of rest. Whereas the sequels ended 5 years ago. The public appreciation for the sequels, and SW as a whole, has only dropped farther.

Disney spent a decade mostly strip-mining SW for quick dollars. I think that's a fair assessment. They chased short-term gains without feeding it creative nourishment and now it's pretty much dead.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back