Goonies Map: Hero Version

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Indy Magnoli, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've just finished my replica of One Eyed Willy's map from The Goonies. I added all the extra details from the Hero map that are usually not copied due to the clear photo of one of the "B" props in the 80s fanzine.

[​IMG]

...and the back:

[​IMG]

E-mail or PM me for more info.

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

2. LewisD

LewisD New Member

Just sent payment...absolutely breathtaking, Indy. Along with your copper bones and doubloon, finally my Goonies prop collection is complete....

Now I need to create a shadow box display...

3. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

:eek Beautiful. Very impressive work.

4. odoc

odoc New Member

very impressive. was this all done from scatch?

5. agent5

agent5 Sr Member

You da man, Tony. Looks sweet as hell.

6. Indy Magnoli

Thanks. Yes, all the elements were drawn and painted by hand and then assembled in PaintShop. After printing, some more blood is added by hand along with the aging, folding, etc.

I also did a custom sculpt of the doubloon (which has been recast on eBay :angry )... but if you're interested in one with crisp details and the accurate back, drop me a line:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kind regards,
    Indy

7. odoc

odoc New Member

this stuff belongs in a muesuem..

;)

truly breathtaking work, extremely well done.

8. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Wow, missed this stuff when it first came around. Very nice as usual. :)

9. shortimer52

shortimer52 Well-Known Member

That map is outstanding. Dont even want to know how much.

10. Indy Magnoli

Thanks. And for die-hard fans... here is Chester Copperpot's wallet:

[​IMG]

....and some of One Eyed Willy's treasure (cast from original props):

[​IMG]

Kind regards,
    Indy

11. Mr. THX

Mr. THX Sr Member

Perfect :lol

[​IMG]

12. jdraimer

jdraimer Active Member

Wow! Is this map for sale somewhere!? Thanks.

13. DemonFire

DemonFire Sr Member

I must say very nice work Tony :)

14. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Amazing job on the map and items, Indy. :D

15. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

Just FYI, Necroposting is always allowed when the items look this darn good.

Still, I think its hilarious the thread is 4 years old. At least nobody can say "use the search function!"

16. DBCooper

DBCooper Well-Known Member

17. Indy Magnoli

Shoot me an e-mail for a current price list.

Thanks for the kind words all... especially after four years! :lol

Kind regards,
    Indy

18. MurdocXXL

MurdocXXL Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great things always came back again ;)

Great work on all those props... as well DB...very nice map :)

19. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

I have one of Indy's maps and they are a work of art

20. Indy Magnoli

I've been getting a lot of e-mails lately about these props, so thought I'd bump this back to the top. I am still making all of my Goonies props, so feel free to e-mail me for more info.

Coincidentally, I provided a very hi-res image of my map to a Philippine ad agency... never heard back what it was used for...

21. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Necro bump for newbies to see perfection in the art of Goonies replicas :)
    Check out Indy Magnoli's awesome replicas from tons of films!!

If you have a chance to buy something from him, you won't regret it.

22. Indy Magnoli

Thanks for the bump, and to save the PMs, yes these are all still available so send me an e-mail to order...

23. DanaDana

DanaDana New Member

Everything in the collection looks pretty awesome. Good job!

24. Frozenintime29

Frozenintime29 New Member

What is the movie size of the map? There are many people making these maps but what's the real size.... Does anyone know

25. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow this is beautiful magnoli ^^

26. Indy Magnoli

I've been making these so long, I don't remember the source of my information, but I believe my replica is accurately sized at about 13" x 21".

Thanks!

27. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Wish I had been smarter, and looked here first. I just bought a $50 map on ebay that said it was "hand inked, professionally photographed ....." etc., and it IS nice- don't get me wrong- but it's trimmed a little wrong, and lacks the Hero detail:\

I'm trying to find good pics of the extra writing, to try and hand ink them in myself before Xmas. It's for my wife;)

And I HOPE the dubloon I bought was not a recast of yours.......

28. struck

struck New Member

are you still doing these maps and other props?

29. Indy Magnoli

Yes, PM sent...

30. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

What exactly are the added extra details?

31. Indy Magnoli

At the time I made this (about a decade ago), a lot of replicas neglected the extra text around the ocean, some (if not all) of the little numbers as well as the key next to the "skull bay". Since I made my version (and posted clear images of it) other replicators have since added more detail to their versions...

Andymac84 likes this.
  32. Indy Magnoli

I just discovered that my Goonies Map was used for the official 30th Anniversary 2015 Calendar:

[​IMG]

Looks like someone bought one of my maps and scanned it to be used on this product without letting me know. Oh well... another one of my Goonies props recast by an officially licensed company! And looks like they used Brenton's Copper Bones as well! Sheesh...

33. Jintosh

Jintosh Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, you should at least of got a free calendar out of it !!!!! :lol

34. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mmm, difficult situation. You can contact them, but what would you say? "Hey, I want to let you know that your official calendar is using a scan of the unofficial map I have been selling without having the necessary rights for it." :p

That's the situation the complete RPF community is in: most of the props here are made without owning the necessary licenses to do so. So once an official company "recasts" on of the props made here, it becomes very awkward... But indeed, consider it an honor that an official company chooses your work to proceed with. The best proof that you delivered great quality!

35. Indy Magnoli

Yeah, Relic Maker and I seem to be the "official" prop replicators for the Goonies franchise between the Mezco recasts, Collectors Bluray and now this calendar... quite an honor. ;) Heck my Copper Bones is even in the Pirate Museum in St. Augustine, FL across from a screen used Jack Sparrow sword!

36. Indy Magnoli

So... what's the best way to simulate burn holes in old maps?

[​IMG]

Simulation is for pansies...

Moviefreak likes this.
  37. SpaceMind

SpaceMind Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic. Can you PM me purchase info? I might be interested as the one I have just isn't up to snuff.

Thanks!

38. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member

I have one of Indy's maps on display!
    [​IMG]

39. bump19

bump19 Member

I am interested in the map, doubloon, and copper bones. I am making a trip to Astoria in December and it would be really cool to have these props with me. Thanks.

40. EmmaInCandyland

I have met Sean Astin and ke Quan just 3 days ago! Really cool guys! Now I wish I had magnolis map with me, would have been cool to have it signed by them or even for the photoshoot X)

41. Indy Magnoli

PM sent.

42. Howlrunner

Howlrunner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Was that at Glasgow Braehead for the comic con? Was there myself on the Sunday.

EmmaInCandyland likes this.
  43. EmmaInCandyland

I was there on Sunday too x)

44. Cascadian

Cascadian New Member

Interested in a map and other props if your are still making them. Please let me know

45. WozGodGax

WozGodGax New Member

PM me the prices for your Goonies treasures please & thanks

46. Moviefreak

47. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

48. Moviefreak

:lol my bad! :lol

Jedifyfe likes this.
  49. NLogan

NLogan New Member

I have tried my hand at the map of One Eyed Willy. I have really been inspired by the awesome creations and maps of the members here. Unfortunately I lack the funds to purchase the awesome maps available. So I had to make my own. Mine is more of a stylized version. Possibly that means I erred and could not go back when trying to make the hero version and also that I made it to my liking. I decided to make mine out of real parchment made from animal skin. A word to those who instead of paper try the same route, when trying to singe or burn the edges paper will color nicely, parchment will curl like bacon because of the collagen retracting. The collagen acts just like the fat and because of the uneven heat source it will shrink and start to render while the other fibers do not resulting in crispy wavy bacon edges. Thank goodness I tried on a trimmed off piece first! I had a limited supply of parchment so whatever errors I made I was stuck with. I still need to add a jute, hemp, or leather thong to close it with (I haven't decided which yet).

Gooniesmymapfront.jpg

gooniesmymapback.jpg

gooniesmymapfold.jpg

I had the worst time trying to read all the writing on the hero map from screen captures. I saw that our members here either tried to replicate the shape of the words but they are just as illegible, or they substituted for their own. Because I could not find the text anywhere to help me when I started I have included it here for others as well as my own text in place of the illegible in my stylized version. Also my Spanish and Latin need work.

Known text:

Guille el Tuerto = Map (guide) of One Eye
    Cuidaros vos intrusos (Cuidais in the Souveneer magazine)
    Pena y mortal estrujon,
    En la sangre empapados
    Del usurpante ladron.

"Ye intruders beware. Crushing death and grief, soaked
    with blood, of the trespassing thief." Mouth movie translation

Cinco veces seis
    Los pies estirando,
    Del todo bajando,
    Ganando saldreis!

"Six times five, stretching feet to lowest point, get the treat!" Book translation
    Five times six (ten times ten movie version), long paces, all the way down, you will come out winning.

Movie version: "Ten times ten.",Mouth
    Mikey: "uh, hundred."
    Data," Hundred."
    Mouth: "...stretching feet to the nearest northern point."

Mikey: "North. What's north? Which way is north?"
    Data: checks his compass. "North is that way"
    Mouth: "That's where you'll find the treat."
    Mikey: " The treat.. the rich stuff! The treat! The rich stuff. That's it!"

De cobre los huesos,
    De piedra el terato,
    Espuma al pomiente!

Copper bones, triple stones, westward foams!

Tres tunales de arcanos,
    De lo ignoto al camino,
    Para orientaros com timo,
    Cosqullad la osamenta.

"Three tunnels of mystery, all lead to unknown, to travel correctly, tickle the funnybone." Book translation referring to a deleted scene.
    Three arcane tunnels the way is unknown to orient your selves with a game (swindle) tickle the funnybone

Moveos lamendo el aire,
    Cada nota tal cual la vas.
    Que se errais en demasia,
    De seguro os morireis.

To move on play the tune, as each note is said, for too many mistakes, ye will surely be dead. Book translation
    "to move on play the tune, as each note is said, for too many mistakes, ye will surely be muerto, dead" movie translation
    The map doesn't say play at least not in any version I translated. The text is visible on the hero map and in the Goonies Souvenier Magazine. The best I can figure it might say, "lamiendo el air" licking the air.

Visible on the Hero map is:

Mar Del Zur = Sea of the South "Sur or Sul" found on old maps for the Pacific Ocean

Despeñadero = "cliff" on the coast near the x
    Also visible are depth soundings numbers showing how deep the water was for navigation purposes because this is a nautical chart showing water courses for sailing. Maps show landforms. There may also be a longitudinal mark.

Everything after that is speculation. I couldn't find any clear shots that definitively show what is written. So I like others before me have given my interpretation or just added my own text.

In the movie Chunk points at the map and says ,"look, look, look. That says 1632. Is that a year or something?" Mouth says, "No, it's your top score on Pole Position." So on my map I included the date: 1632. The screenplay says the map is signed One Eyed Willy so I included his signature as well. The script says One Eye Willy's name is William Pordobel which is a take on Portobelo. Since the map is entirely in Spanish and Latin I changed it to Guillermo Portobelo for the signature.

I included the following Spanish words and phrases:

Silvestre = wild (along the coast)
    Indios = Indians (along the coast)
    Laguna = Lagoon (where the modern day Jetty Lagoon is off Clatsop Spit
    Zozobrar = Capsize (in shallow water)
    Niebla = Fog (offshore, Oregon is prone to advection fog)
    Adelante peligro Espuma cresta hay = Danger ahead a foam crest (near where the Colombia bar is as part of the sandbars and shoals that make up the Graveyard of the Pacific (foam indicated shallow water over reefs or sandbars for sailors.)
    Banco de Arena = sandbar (near the modern Desdemona Sands in the Columbia River.)
    Canal Navegable pleamar = channel navigable at flood tide, incoming tide (near the modern safe passage in the Columbia River)
    Encallado = aground (in shallow water)
    Linea mal de rompientes = Bad line of breakers (in the water)
    Affilado = Sharp
    El fondeadero es filo del viento a la ensenada = the anchorage is in the eye of the wind to the inlet or cove
    Mar gruesa y viento fuerte = high seas and heavy winds
    Les lobos marin = the sea wolves
    Mar Clausum = Latin for closed sea, the Spanish didn't want anyone else navigating their territorial waters along the Pacific Coast (found on old maps)
    Grandes corrientes = strong currents
    Costa aterradora = Terrifying coast
    Isla de fortuna = Island of fortune
    Rumbo al Barlovento = True course is towards the windward
    Mar picada = chop (choppy sea)
    Cueva = cave (near the x in the cove)

Supposedly there is also a sketch of the old cannonball chamber on the map at least Mouth says as much in the movie. It could refer to the chamber that had the cannonball activated pit trap started by rotating the copper bones as indicated by preproduction drawings for the film or a chamber on Willy's ship the Inferno.
    The book also mentions footprints leading from the bottom of the hill to the X, a three rock pattern described on the map, and a spot on the map where the path veers off in three directions (referencing a deleted scene where the Goonies had to tickle a bone for the skeleton to point the right way the others had deadly booby traps one was a grim reaper skeleton pulled rapidly passed with a scythe to decapitate.

I did not include these phrases that I commonly see on versions of this map:

Puerto = A port is a city or town with a harbor. I didn't include it as there are no Spanish ports that far north in 1632. Usually havens such as harbors or ports have manmade jetties, piers, breakwaters, or other artificial structures to help ships weather a storm.

Tropicus Cancri = Latin for the Tropic of Cancer that is nowhere near Oregon and marks the northern boundary of tropical zones in the world with the southern boundary the Tropic of Capricorn. Oregon is not tropical, nor sub tropical, it is in the North Temperate zone and is over 1500 miles away from the Tropics.

Gooniesmymapfront.jpg

gooniesmymapback.jpg

gooniesmymapfold.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  50. NLogan

NLogan New Member

Some map progress pics while I was drawing it.

mapprogress1.jpg

Hand drawn with my mistakes and all.

mapprogress2.jpg

Scrap edge test curled like bacon under the flame when I tried to singe the edges. I ended up having to weather the map without heat by dry-brushing it.

baconmap.jpg

Finished

mymapfront.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    JamesM242, Krats and Indy Magnoli like this.