Unlimited Run GAME OF THRONES -ARYA STARK'S Assassian Coin - Now Accepting Payments

Re: GAME OF THRONES -ARYA STARK'S Assassian Coin - god of many faces

Alright I'm either thinking Bismuth or pewter for the metal material and then a rubb n buff combo of colors and turpentine to give it that aged copper / gold look.

How durable is Rub n Buff? A prop like this just begs to be carried/played with like in the show. I'm afraid that the Rub n Buff will wear off quickly and expose the white metal underneath.

Have you thought of looking into chemicals like the Birchwood Casey products to give it the proper finish? Those will wear too, but they might be more durable than the wax based products.

How durable is Rub n Buff? A prop like this just begs to be carried/played with like in the show. I'm afraid that the Rub n Buff will wear off quickly and expose the white metal underneath.

Have you thought of looking into chemicals like the Birchwood Casey products to give it the proper finish? Those will wear too, but they might be more durable than the wax based products.

I'll take a look at the products you mentioned. As for the durability of rubb n buff I can't say, but I think it's pretty durable...I've thought about the idea of spraying and thin coat of clear coat on the coin to protect everything, but I'm not sure yet...I'd have to see what that looks like.

Just picked up some materials to begin making the molds and stuff.

Interested pending cost - metal. I think this would be pretty cool. Thanks for tackling this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll take a look at the products you mentioned. As for the durability of rubb n buff I can't say, but I think it's pretty durable...I've thought about the idea of spraying and thin coat of clear coat on the coin to protect everything, but I'm not sure yet...I'd have to see what that looks like.

Just picked up some materials to begin making the molds and stuff.

Here's a good discussion going on about the durability of Rub n Buff:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241078

Last edited:

Here's a good discussion going on about the durability of Rub n Buff:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241078

Hmm, I could try a laquer based clear coat and see what happens...Otherwise I'm up for options on how to change the color of bismuth or peweter, even if it's chemical reaction, or chemical reaction and electricity like people use to electricity or heat to change the color of silver and stuff..the only thing with that is I've read that after a couple of days the color kind of dulls away and goes to a greyish color (with silver at least). I think I read something about enamel paints sticking to pewter well...

Might try 3D printing them in metal either copper, brass, or bronze and using a tumbler to polish them up and do a final polish with steel wool. This would solve the issue of trying to color a pewter or bismuth coin into a color of copper, bronze, or brass.

Here I have the coin printed with the dents exaggerated a little so they will so up in a mold and print well as the first version most of the detail dents didn't show up as well.

- - - Updated - - -
20150620_171225_resized.jpg20150620_171219_resized.jpg20150620_171154_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:

Mold is poured for the exagerated detailed one...now we wait :) I'll pour the mold for the non exagerated detailed one when I get back to the house, Fathers day, and being one my-self I have some errands to run lol. The only resin I have on hand at the moment is some ultra clear...I might mix up a small batch and try to pour one overnight just to see how the mold does. So what did you guys think of the colorfabb metal filaments? They are 80% by weight metal and thrown in a tumbler I've seen you can get some nice results..still might throw a clear coat on them just to give it that gloss...we'll experiment to see what yeilds the best results. I don't need a mold for the colorfabb metal filament option, but I made the moulds to pour metal in so we have both options to see what looks and feels the best.

If the mold comes out good, I think I'll be changing this from a INT thread to an UNLIMITED RUN thread... why put a limit on it, everyone needs one of these :D lol

Thanks,
Bryan - Creative Conceptz

Ok, so here is a test done with stainless steel filament and about 40mins of hand sanding and polishing with steel wool...so far I think the results are looking awesome! and it has a nice weight to it too. Still going to try out the other metal filaments, bronzefill and copperfill, but I like the results so far. Mold is almost dry, I'm going to inspect it here in about 30 mins. Making progress :)arya_coin_stainless_steel1 (2).jpegarya_coin_stainless_steel1 (1).jpeg

Here is the mold for the coin just in case we go with the melted metal option anyway; although I might have to make another mold with a different silicone, because I think this one is rated for 400degrees and I believe the melting points for bismuth and pewter are around the 500-550degree mark. Mold turned out good though.aryacoin_mold.jpg

I never even thought of this prop! I would love the idea of having a real metal one, so if you can get the price figured out I would be surely interested :)

I never even thought of this prop! I would love the idea of having a real metal one, so if you can get the price figured out I would be surely interested :)
Got you added :) yea I think it's a cool prop!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back