Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 11 2005, 01:38 AM
Well this is from a Mk 9.  Measurements were approximate.  Sadly it can't be measured again as unfortunately it's been put in the mail.  :unsure

uh... to me, that is.

:eek  :D  :lol  :love  :love  :love  :lol  :D  :eek

Please forgive the overacting, I am just stunned with joy.
[snapback]1093947[/snapback]​
Please PM me your mailing address so I can help track this priceless item and make sure it reaches its RIGHTFUL destination... :angel

I hate you.

- Gabe

Congrats. Now if only you could get the real gear, maybe... just maybe... you culd finally get some sleep. ;)

It's been a long road, but I'm glad to see that the guy who got the part is the one who stayed the course. (Even if in doing so he drove himself and everyone else a bit mad) :)

JK

Good work,

Dan

Originally posted by Anakin Starkiller@Oct 11 2005, 03:50 AM

It's been a long road, but I'm glad to see that the guy who got the part is the one who stayed the course.  (Even if in doing so he drove himself and everyone else a bit mad)  :)

:lol :lol :lol

I couldn't have said it better myself. Of all people, you deserve it Andres...good for you.

(now...go make some replicas :D )

Dan

Thank you all for your kind words and, uh, reminiscences. :lol

I only wish I had enough to go around, but especially I wish I had one more for the guy who let me buy a real handwheel from him, he knows who he is.

Many people have PM'd of course, so I need to announce that my source specifically told me that only one of these would be available and not to ask for more.

I will now settle down to wait. This will be the single worst most nail-biting package-waiting experience I have ever had. :lol

Andres.

Fate has a way of rewarding those who stay on target.
You above ANYONE here have always maintained your target and argued your quarter whilst taking aim.
Well done - and yes, obviously you above all others deserve it.

Many congratulations.

Howard. :)

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 11 2005, 01:38 AM
Well this is from a Mk 9.  Measurements were approximate.  Sadly it can't be measured again as unfortunately it's been put in the mail.  :unsure

uh... to me, that is.

:eek  :D  :lol  :love  :love  :love  :lol  :D  :eek

Please forgive the overacting, I am just stunned with joy.
[snapback]1093947[/snapback]​

Hey, what an awesome post to read this evening. Great news. I'm tickled pink for you, Andres. :thumbsup
Guess you'll be camping out by the mailbox? :D
Phil

Thank you very much Howard. (and thanks Phil and Laszlo.)

Okay now I have to say that obviously I could never have done this without the work of several people. I remember when Blaxmyth first mentioned this idea in another thread and I said "Scrapped jet engine. Hah, I'd love to see blueprints for THAT."

Even though I think this idea had been brought up once before (a year ago?), it was Phil/Blaxmyth bringing it up this time that started things rolling. And Gabe posted the cutaway drawing which was the match to the fuse. Huge amounts of information ands ideas have been gathered and posted here since, with Chris T's hard work providing a tantalizing trail of detailed info. to chew on and hang our hopes on.

At first I figured I couldn't do much from the US, but after thinking about it I got one good idea and pursued it outside the UK, and after my good lead seemingly fizzled out, I got very lucky indeed.

Because this was a group effort, I am going to cut the part into pieces and give one to each

Are you kidding? No way. :D Seriously though, depending on how many more of these show up through other channels, I will be thinking about how to express my gratitude to those who made my luck possible. In the meantime, thank you all.

Andres,
You're definitely the guy to get the replica on track and make sure it's identical to the real part.
I can't think of anyone more dedicated to that saber. :)
It's going to be an amazing thing to see the real parts together for the first time (well, real parts plus the best replica gear).

I've still got my hopes of finding one more balance pipe(the correct side this time), but at least I'm a"head" in aquiring another Derwent part that I've been looking forward to. ;)

Andres,

Thanks for the kind nod, although in truth I just connected a second dot after Blaxmyth posted the first - he really deserves all the credit for opening all our eyes. The rest was just sheer legwork and elbow grease. I have no doubt that if anyone else looked closely at that cutaway diagram before I did, the balance pipes would have stared them back in the face - I was just at the right place at the right time.

All the rest was sweat, blood, and sleepless nights with Autodesk Inventor R10... :D

If my models and love of aircraft helped cut through some of the fog and uncertainty faster, then I'm glad I made a difference. And while this was truly a team effort, I have to thank Andres for engaging my curiosity with the passionate determination he's demonstrated in his emitter threads. Chris, Fred, Roman, and Gav - you too, of course. We all know who among us has pursued this holy quest with pathalogical obsession :lol I'm happy it's finally being rewarded, and that my 11th hour contribution brought you guys closer to it. :)

One more thing... Andres and I live in California. Great props comes from happy prop nuts. Happy prop nuts come from California. :D (sorry, that's actually a butchered Milk Advisory Board commercial :lol ) Move along, move along...

- Gabe

It's true about Californians being massive prop collectors.

The biggest nuts come from California and I should know :D

Great pic of the actual part Andres, it is fitting that you've acquired one more part of your grail. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

This whole thread has been an exciting exercise in collective work by dedicated enthusiasts. It shows the power of what can happen when you mobilize the masses :)

Now for that gear....

Barry

An open plea to everyone: Please remember that there are people trying to keep a few of these planes flying. Please don't buy up unused and useable parts for your lightsaber. Gav expressed it very well earlier in the thread.

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 11 2005, 06:36 PM
An open plea to everyone:  Please remember that there are people trying to keep a few of these planes flying.  Please don't buy up unused and useable parts for your lightsaber.  Gav expressed it very well earlier in the thread.
[snapback]1094334[/snapback]​

While there are actual enthusiasts who are trying to keep these things in the air, it also seems like most of the demand is from museum restoration groups for display. Well, if these pieces are never going to fly, why do they need the emitters? All they need is the outer locking rings, as that's all that's visible from the outside.

Look at all the derwents on diplay in museums. Do you know how many emitters are sitting there rusting away for no good reason? Me niether, but it's probaly some :lol.

But seriuosly, why don't these flying groups have the replacement parts machined with todays better techniques? Tighter tolerances, better materials - sounds like a better idea than fitting your engine with a part that's already 60 yrs old. Car enthusiasts do it all the time. Even show class restorers have parts machined to the exact same specs as the originals.

-Fred

Fair point about the static displays.

About the replacement parts for flying examples: I imagine it's about numbers. There's maybe 5 of these things flying in the world, right? NOS parts are hoarded because these people don't have a lot of money to have small runs of replacement parts made.

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 11 2005, 07:00 PM

About the replacement parts for flying examples:  I imagine it's about numbers.  There's maybe 5 of these things flying in the world, right?  NOS parts are hoarded because these people don't have a lot of money to have small runs of replacement parts made.
[snapback]1094349[/snapback]​

I've missed a few pages of the thread so forgive me if this has already been suggested, but you guys should have a full-blown, flight-worthy working NOS part made, then you can sell to both SW freaks AND Meteor buffs.

Originally posted by PHArchivist+Oct 11 2005, 07:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Oct 11 2005, 07:04 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Serafino
@Oct 11 2005, 07:00 PM

About the replacement parts for flying examples:  I imagine it's about numbers.  There's maybe 5 of these things flying in the world, right?  NOS parts are hoarded because these people don't have a lot of money to have small runs of replacement parts made.
[snapback]1094349[/snapback]​

I've missed a few pages of the thread so forgive me if this has already been suggested, but you guys should have a full-blown, flight-worthy working NOS part made, then you can sell to both SW freaks AND Meteor buffs.
[snapback]1094352[/snapback]​
[/b]

You know, that's not a bad point. Find out what the demand for these things are in the real world (or at least amongst flying enthusiasts) and you could offer them better replacements than what's currently available, leaving all the crusty originals for us :D.

-Fred

It's a great idea worth pursuing.

It would be best to get actual specs for that though, so let's see what Chris' contact comes up with on that line.

As I understand it, reverse engineering from an isolated original is not the way to arrive at the right specs and tolerances.

But surely some of the pieces on the original part are stamped, at least the ring of holes, right? For our replica purposes machining the whole part would be tons cheaper.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back