Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

Originally posted by hypospray@Oct 11 2005, 08:30 PM
But surely some of the pieces on the original part are stamped, at least the ring of holes, right?  For our replica purposes machining the whole part would be tons cheaper.
[snapback]1094416[/snapback]​
I can tell you on good authority that nothing on the original balance pipe is stamped or punched. First of all, the ring is too thick. Second, you don't go making counterbores, chamfers, and filets on a stamped part. Third, stamping and punching throws your part tolerances out the window.

I've worked in aerospace. Trust me. :)

- Gabe

P.S. I made a smilar argument on the Solo blaster suppressor thread when all the die-hard fire extinguisher nozzle advocates swore on everything that's holy that the part was stamped. I was later vindicated. :p

Originally posted by gavidoc@Oct 11 2005, 09:59 PM
Congrats Andres.

SO it was Beveled huh? So, where is my cooked crow? :)
[snapback]1094489[/snapback]​

:lol

Good form, Gav. I didn't see it in the old pics either.

-Douglas

Originally posted by gavidoc@Oct 11 2005, 01:59 PM
SO it was Beveled huh? So, where is my cooked crow? :)
[snapback]1094489[/snapback]​
:lol Since when does it get cooked.? No one told ME that, nooOoo.... ;)

Doug--it was only really obvious in the screen caps.

"P.S. I made a smilar argument on the Solo blaster suppressor thread when all the die-hard fire extinguisher nozzle advocates swore on everything that's holy that the part was stamped. I was later vindicated."

Vindicated? Makes you sound pretty triumphant over what was really just a false-lead in the journey to find the right ID of the prop part. I simply was repeating what I was told in regards to the fire extinguisher source (Jeff Ritzmann). I never blindly supported it, nor was I a die-hard theorist. I don't think any one was, really. We've all been surprised by discoveries enough to know that until something is positively ID'ed, you can expect to see the book rewritten on something.

Just putting in my two cents from how I experienced the situation - sadly, it wasn't dramatic enough to see something vindicated, but hey, I love a flair for the dramatic.

:unsure

Swearing on all that is HelloKitty, errr... holy, Jason

Jason,

My comment was with respect to my knowledge of metalworking, not intended as a slant at anyone in particular. Ironically, there was plenty of drama in that thread on the part of a few people who resisted with religious zeal any thinking outside the box and a couple who denigrated anybone who dared to spout Antinozzle blasphemies. You were one of those. Or shall I paste your snipes at Drew? There was enough "dramatic flair," in fact, that the staff felt they needed to come in and clean it up... :rolleyes

But if you personally took offense, I didn't mean for you to, so kindly give it back. :)

- Gabe

Your apparent flair for drama, and our personalities and egos aside, this thread has been probably the most exciting read all year, and I gotta say, Serafino and Chris are the two most deserving guys to get the real deal. I'll be excited to get a replica, and I know that we're in good hands with those guys at the helm.

Now, the geeeeeearrrrrr.....

Yes, I am thrilled that Serafino is getting THE Emitter...I know that any replicas that come from him will be dead on...in that I am very confident.
Frankly, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Or more deserving...

Originally posted by Gigatron@Oct 11 2005, 06:49 PM
While there are actual enthusiasts who are trying to keep these things in the air, it also seems like most of the demand is from museum restoration groups for display.  Well, if these pieces are never going to fly, why do they need the emitters?  All they need is the outer locking rings, as that's all that's visible from the outside.

Look at all the derwents on diplay in museums.  Do you know how many emitters are sitting there rusting away for no good reason?  Me niether, but it's probaly some :lol.
[snapback]1094345[/snapback]​

To clarify the locking rings have to lock onto something- can't do that without the balance pipes.
I don't see a museum wanting to replace those pieces with replicas either. They're museums, it's their job to present real vintage items on display.

I'm still looking for one myself, just because after all this it'd be nice to come out with one but in the long term I don't think we'll see a lot of these show up in SW collectors hands.
I hate to break the news but I expect even fewer flame tubes/"IG-88 heads" to get into our hands. The emitters should hopefully be in any Mk8 or Mk9. The specific flame tube variation seems to be very uncommon although a piece that could should up in a 5, 8, or 9.

I have often said, if you want to save a species, start eating it. Then farms will start sprouting up all over to meet demand. Odd analogy here, but I would think a similar conclusion might be able to be drawn for something like this.

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 11 2005, 10:36 AM
An open plea to everyone:  Please remember that there are people trying to keep a few of these planes flying.  Please don't buy up unused and useable parts for your lightsaber.  Gav expressed it very well earlier in the thread.
[snapback]1094334[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Killdozer@Oct 10 2005, 10:00 AM

edit: looks like the Nene 10 is a bust. I received these photos from my contact:
[snapback]1093592[/snapback]​

Looks closer to the restraining bolt though...

Great detective work guys. It's fantastic to see the origin of the emitter finally cracked. Just the gear to go now eh?

OK... I found something... no, not the gear....

51865338_eb7bbc8da7_o.jpg

OK, who's going to build one? :lol
I guess they had a more or less complete engine to play with.

KD

The scale seems a bit off but that looks like an ig88 head enclosure mounted on on the middle top/side of that gun. Perhaps from another engine? The shape and the wonky "top" match the ig88 enclosure well.

Originally posted by Killdozer@Oct 12 2005, 10:31 AM
OK... I found something... no, not the gear....

OK, who's going to build one? :lol
I guess they had a more or less complete engine to play with.
KD
[snapback]1094888[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back