Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never seen)

Slash-5

Sr Member
_____________________________________________________UPDATE 14AUG20_______________________________________________________

Hoyle's has compiled a little history to accompany their new Limited Edition set, that contains the most accurate info on this topic. You can read it here:

Hoyle's Official History of the set LINK

________________________________________________________UPDATE 16AUG20________________________________________________________

BREAKING! NEW INFO!

Guys, I may be wrong. Just spent a lot of time on the phone with Hoyle's, and the very early sets from Banbury were brown. One of these was used in the film. I've spent a long time on this hi-res still, and after color correction, I think they are right...sigh. Sorry guys!

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 11.44.23 AM.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
Re: Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never s

If you can scan and create me the 3d files, I will GLADLY print you a set. Id love one myself.

Re: Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never s

If you can scan and create me the 3d files, I will GLADLY print you a set. Id love one myself.
How to scan? I can take a lot of photos, but I think we need someone's help with the 3D part.

OK, guys, I finished casting, fixing and painting an entire set. I can tell you why they probably changed the style (in addition to copyright issues), each of those pieces was changed or replaced so as to make the set last longer.
I have gone to great lengths to match the resin, weight, etc. and I can tell you that the beaks on the wrens and the necks on the pea cock break ALL. THE. TIME. I am using resin from Europe, and I believe it is exactly the resin used. Or, very, very close. They are a nightmare to keep whole.

This is probably why there are so few sets left. My old set lasted 2 minutes without breaking, and the new set broke three times in two chess games with my kids.

If a piece even falls over, something snaps.

3D progress files added!

Just remember, these are created from photos of my castings from an original, repaired and re-cast set. That set was repaired several times in it's life (before I got it), and had bubbles and seams of it's own.

So...it is what it is: A great base to help you build your own set from a 3D print of these files (you'll need to clean stuff up with Z brush, and/or fix the prints. But hey, they will be free and fun for a project...intended to give access to those who couldn't get a set at any price. For personal use.
Not for resale.

One problem in the hawk example above is the base which extends past the original base. I did this on my casting because the original kept getting broken by my kids. Also, the rim of the gauntlet, and the ribbon on the back...etc.

Last edited:

TFS with us that great project Slash-5:cool

Love one stop shopping for info!

Fantastic post!

The Peacock:

The Opium Weight:

- - - Updated - - -

First prints:

22811619_1476426842432926_959409953_n.jpg

safe_image (1).jpegsafe_image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent stuff! Love the duck. Need the duck.

The attachment isn't working for me.

Love this thread, that's when the rpf works best :)
thanks for sharing and the first prints look terrific.

Will you be trying a brown wash over ivory or red to see how that looks?

I love chess sculpts and Blade Runner even more. Loving this thread.

If you make a set and want tips on how to paint them perfectly, here is the best way I've found (using an original set for reference):

22894748_10156871709404768_1198805503_n.jpg

The base color for the red side is best matched with this color:

https://www.amazon.com/Amsterdam-Acrylic-120Ml-Primary-Magenta/dp/B001UNBUDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509267002&sr=8-1&keywords=amsterdam%20acrylic%20paint%20369

Paint it completely, and dry with a hair dryer. Then paint with black from the same company:

https://www.amazon.com/Amsterdam-Acrylic-120Ml-Oxide-Black/dp/B001UNJ0L6/ref=sr_1_13?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1509267033&sr=1-13&keywords=amsterdam%20acrylic%20paint%20735

and gently press a dry fabric towel on the high spots to pull off the black paint. Don't rub.

You can see the results here (some are original, some are from the set I made):

22883991_10156871718819768_426276576_o.jpg

For the white, just paint the piece in any white and do the same technique with a light beige color. I have not found an exact match yet, that is the same in every light. I've mixed my own that looks exact in daylight...and another color that looks right indoors, but I haven't found one that's perfect in both. Not sure it matters that much...LOL

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back