Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never seen)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Slash-5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
_____________________________________________________UPDATE 14AUG20_______________________________________________________

Hoyle's has compiled a little history to accompany their new Limited Edition set, that contains the most accurate info on this topic. You can read it here:

Hoyle's Official History of the set LINK

________________________________________________________UPDATE 16AUG20________________________________________________________

BREAKING! NEW INFO!

Guys, I may be wrong. Just spent a lot of time on the phone with Hoyle's, and the very early sets from Banbury were brown. One of these was used in the film. I've spent a long time on this hi-res still, and after color correction, I think they are right...sigh. Sorry guys!

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 11.44.23 AM.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Manukaman

Re: Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never s

If you can scan and create me the 3d files, I will GLADLY print you a set. Id love one myself.

Slash-5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Re: Everything about Sebastian's chess set in one place (plus extras you have never s

If you can scan and create me the 3d files, I will GLADLY print you a set. Id love one myself.
How to scan? I can take a lot of photos, but I think we need someone's help with the 3D part.

Slash-5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OK, guys, I finished casting, fixing and painting an entire set. I can tell you why they probably changed the style (in addition to copyright issues), each of those pieces was changed or replaced so as to make the set last longer.
I have gone to great lengths to match the resin, weight, etc. and I can tell you that the beaks on the wrens and the necks on the pea cock break ALL. THE. TIME. I am using resin from Europe, and I believe it is exactly the resin used. Or, very, very close. They are a nightmare to keep whole.

This is probably why there are so few sets left. My old set lasted 2 minutes without breaking, and the new set broke three times in two chess games with my kids.

If a piece even falls over, something snaps.

Slash-5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3D progress files added!

Just remember, these are created from photos of my castings from an original, repaired and re-cast set. That set was repaired several times in it's life (before I got it), and had bubbles and seams of it's own.

So...it is what it is: A great base to help you build your own set from a 3D print of these files (you'll need to clean stuff up with Z brush, and/or fix the prints. But hey, they will be free and fun for a project...intended to give access to those who couldn't get a set at any price. For personal use.
Not for resale.

One problem in the hawk example above is the base which extends past the original base. I did this on my casting because the original kept getting broken by my kids. Also, the rim of the gauntlet, and the ribbon on the back...etc.

Last edited:

joberg

Master Member

TFS with us that great project Slash-5:cool

Apollo

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love one stop shopping for info!

Fantastic post!

Slash-5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Raven. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Slash-5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Peacock:

The Opium Weight:

- - - Updated - - -

First prints:

22811619_1476426842432926_959409953_n.jpg

safe_image (1).jpeg safe_image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Panaflex

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent stuff! Love the duck. Need the duck.

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The attachment isn't working for me.

spacebob

Sr Member

Love this thread, that's when the rpf works best :)
thanks for sharing and the first prints look terrific.

Will you be trying a brown wash over ivory or red to see how that looks?

Enigmatic

I love chess sculpts and Blade Runner even more. Loving this thread.

Slash-5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you make a set and want tips on how to paint them perfectly, here is the best way I've found (using an original set for reference):

22894748_10156871709404768_1198805503_n.jpg

The base color for the red side is best matched with this color:

https://www.amazon.com/Amsterdam-Acrylic-120Ml-Primary-Magenta/dp/B001UNBUDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509267002&sr=8-1&keywords=amsterdam%20acrylic%20paint%20369

Paint it completely, and dry with a hair dryer. Then paint with black from the same company:

https://www.amazon.com/Amsterdam-Acrylic-120Ml-Oxide-Black/dp/B001UNJ0L6/ref=sr_1_13?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1509267033&sr=1-13&keywords=amsterdam%20acrylic%20paint%20735

and gently press a dry fabric towel on the high spots to pull off the black paint. Don't rub.

You can see the results here (some are original, some are from the set I made):

22883991_10156871718819768_426276576_o.jpg

For the white, just paint the piece in any white and do the same technique with a light beige color. I have not found an exact match yet, that is the same in every light. I've mixed my own that looks exact in daylight...and another color that looks right indoors, but I haven't found one that's perfect in both. Not sure it matters that much...LOL

Last edited: