Interest Blade Runner - Sebastian's Chess Set

Gordon Gekko

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Over the last several months, I have been working with Slash-5 to produce what we believe is the definitive set of chess birds used by Sebastian in Blade Runner.

Slash spent considerable time and effort to track down each and every correct piece for the set. He than took a Humongous amount of photographs of each piece and allowed me to recreate them using a photogrammetry process. I then used Zbrush to resculpt and missing details in the scans and repair any damage found on Slash's original set. You can see Slash's original thread here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=277142

To that end, we will be offering a run of a complete set of birds. The set will include all 32 pieces and be resin cast and painted with the correct weathered finishes. All masters for the molds are being printed on a high resolution resin printer. Below are two of the initial pieces in primer only. The owl and the wren.

jmlCuMs.jpg a3478Op.jpg wXhN7wX.jpg

For reference, the Wren is a tiny bit over 3" tall. I will add photos of the remaining pieces as they are printed.

Right now, rough estimate is $150-200 for a set of 32 finished birds, but that may change as production goes forward.

If interested, please post here.

Thanks for looking!

-GG and Slash-5

UPDATE 11-22-17

We are going to be offering this set as the "Budget Version" which will be as I described above. These will be very nice sets that you will be able to purchase finished or unfinished. Final price is still pending, but it will be within the range I posted above, with an unfinished set being a less than what is posted.

Soon thereafter, we will be offering the "Collector Version" which will be cast from Slash's original set. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you read his thread I linked above to see how he tracked it down. This is an original set that would have been produced at the time of the production of Blade Runner and therefore it will be the most accurate set you will probably ever see. I will be using a casting process that will replicate these down to the gram weight of the original and then finished with Slash's paint technique that he developed to exactly match the originals. This set will be more involved and hence more expensive. I will provide pricing as it gets closer.

UPDATE 6-4-18

Updated photos post #77

UPDATE 6-14-18

New Photos and Payment info sent.

z5eVpeT.jpg

qTXnQos.jpg

SRoA6Vq.jpg

rurHXJr.jpg

Cyv6R64.jpg

UPDATE 7-12 Finally Shipping Added Paid List and your Position. Some members did not include their RPF ID with payment, so I have listed you by first name initial and first two letters of last name that you used to send PP. If you need me to change it, let me know. Just much easier than digging through all the PM's and cross referencing. If you have sent a deposit, I will PM you with your total the Monday of the week listed below. As soon as you send final payment your order will ship.

RUN #1

1. RhinoActual Paid Shipping 7-13
2. Fragment Paid Shipping 7-13
3. R Da Paid Shipping 7-13
4. pnag Paid Shipped 7.27
5. R Wo Paid Shipping 7-13
6. J Fe Paid Shipping 7-13
7. D So Paid Shipped 7.27
8. darthwhitey Paid Shipped 7.27
9. Bladedodger Paid Shipped 7.27
10. Enigmatic Paid Shipped 8.16
11. DVD Connoisseur Paid Shipped 7.27
12. C Ke Paid Shipped 8-20
13. Cyberblock Paid Shipping 8.28
14. faust1103 Paid X4 Shipped 8.20
15. Sam Lowry Paid Shipped 9-5
16. userid1402 Paid Shipped
17. Spoudastis Paid Shipped
18. el toro Paid Shipped
19. B Pa Paid Shipped
20. squidsicle Paid Shipped
21. Marv Dep Paid Shipped
22. Stefan Jones Paid Shipped
24. mbmcfarland Paid Shipped

UPDATE 10-22-18

Adding Run #2 with a limit of 20 spots.

RUN #2 Cap Limit of 20 spots

1. CogitoBcn
2. Womble68
3. joshslayton
4. Gonjinn
5. Manukaman
6. WCC1912
7. sschmidtvfx
8. eaviii
9. Vaderman
10. MANDINGALOW
11. Bash
12. gomcse

If I missed anyone for run #2 or you want in, please let me know.

-GG

Last edited:
Re: Sebastian's Chess Set - The Final Cut

Definitely interested.

So right now your plan is to provide just the birds, correct? What are you guys personally using as a board? Or what would you recommend?

I may be interested in an unpainted set.

Would be good if the bases had holes for insertion of weights...Bottom bias weighted chess pieces,
though this is not that critical as these are more for display than play.
EDIT: >>> Gordon Gekko: "...I plan on weighting them" ( Post #6 )

Painted set maybe......depends on the colour and finish.

Last edited:

Interested, depending on finances at time of availability :)

Watching with interest pending the usual. Very cool project. Will you also be producing the duck?

I'm Interested. but like Birdie it will depend on cash at the time. looking great ! :thumbsup

Interested in a finished set.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Hey, my apologies to Rick Ross. When I named this thread, I didn't realize he had one with an almost identical title. I'm trying to change it, but haven't been able to yet.

You have to edit post number 1 and then click "more reply options". Then you'll see a box with the current title and then just change and save.

I am aware, but occasionally there is an error on the board that will not allow the O.P. to change the title, but the mods got it fixed.:thumbsup

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back