Ep 3 stunt sabers

DarthJRW

ok guys

i started a topic about this a few months ago and there were alot of comments, some were right, others wrong.

the reason i want to reopen this discussion is because i love stunt sabers and i am facinated by the way they are made, and i love Ep.3.....

so does anyone know how they were REALLY made ??

someone told me that the stunt handles were reuseable, then i was told they were not. i know theres limited info on these but if anyone knows how they were made/ put together please share your information

also include pics if possible

may the force be with you

DarthJRW

A quote I found on the internet says:

"For Return of the Jedi and the later movies, the hilts were custom machined from aluminum. In place of the glowing blade, carbon rods were used as blade reference during fight scenes. In the first two prequel films, they upgraded to resin "stunt" handles and aluminum tubes. For the final film of the Star Wars saga, Revenge of the Sith, the aluminum was replaced by a carbon-fiber blend specifically manufactured for the production."

FB

well im guessing that the sabers were a type of STRONG resin then probally a metal reinforcement in the middle of the saber to secure the blade in to

does that sound about right???????

Obviosuly what you were told before didn;t sit well with you. You can believe what you want, but when facts were given you snuffed at them...

Good luck proving your theory though.

Primrodo

its not that i dont believe wut you are saying but i just find it hard to believe they would spend extra when they could of just used a strong resin

so did they reuse the metal handles once the blades broke???

Try and get your hands on the Heroes DVD that was in the UK. That has a good section that will give you some ideas of what they did.

Originally posted by DarthJRW@Aug 10 2005, 08:30 PM
Primrodo

its not that i dont believe wut you are saying but i just find it hard to believe they would spend extra when they could of just used a strong resin

so did they reuse the metal handles once the blades broke???
[snapback]1054985[/snapback]​

Dude I showed you photographic proof from insider that had all teh saber parts laid out specifically Anakins and Maces.

Resin handles were brittle and few survived, whereas cast metal ones have a better chance and therefore is more cost ffective.

Just because you don't think they would doesn't mean they didn't. Gillard told me there were 2-4 set screws holding the blade in place as well as the threaded end, you can't do that with resin.

And for reference the blades never broke. But they were seperate and put in and out, there were not permantantly attached in anyway.

Originally posted by Primrodo@Aug 11 2005, 04:51 AM
[Gillard told me there were 2-4 set screws holding the blade in place as well as the threaded end, you can't do that with resin.
[snapback]1055187[/snapback]​

Why not? They did it for the first two movies.
Set screws through the tube blade into the metal rod (threaded or smooth?) that the resin saber was cast around. Anyone remember the photo of a rack of finished Ep1 stunt saber handles with rods only, no blades?
I think you'll most likely find a mix of materials depending on the stunt saber (more detailed closeup version/ plain old bang around version). Lesser characters probably didn't get the fancier stunts either.

Originally posted by Primrodo@Aug 11 2005, 04:51 AM

Dude I showed you photographic proof from insider that had all teh saber parts laid out specifically Anakins and Maces.

Resin handles were brittle and few survived, whereas cast metal ones have a better chance and therefore is more cost ffective.

Just because you don't think they would doesn't mean they didn't. Gillard told me there were 2-4 set screws holding the blade in place as well as the threaded end, you can't do that with resin.

And for reference the blades never broke. But they were seperate and put in and out, there were not permantantly attached in anyway.

Could you post that stuff up here so we can see it, please?

Originally posted by DrStranglove+Aug 11 2005, 11:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrStranglove @ Aug 11 2005, 11:06 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Primrodo
@Aug 11 2005, 04:51 AM

Could you post that stuff up here so we can see it, please?
[snapback]1055245[/snapback]​
[/b]
agreed. :)

lonepigeon, the Episode 3 blades were not slid over nor screwed onto a rod this time around. Infact a hole trhough a carbon fiber rod signiicanly weakens the fibers and woudl result in many breaks...which they never had.

You can't securely thread resin like this to set in set screws. TPM and AOTC had the same stunts with rods poking out and teh aluminum tubes screwed on, but Episode 3 was a whole new ball game. Heck they used Bamboo for some of the Obi vs Ani fight.

They may have used resin just regular junts, sabers that get tonnes or what not, but not the duelling ones. They couldn't have mixed them up either, lesser or not, due to the blade material. They all used this new style blade and handle made of metal/plastic or diecast parts.

As for the pic:

md-Saber%20Box.jpg

http://www.petridish.net/pics/12000/Saber%20Box.jpg

The Heroes and Villians DVD's came from a UK paper called the Sun (i think) you can probaly find some on ebay maybe.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back