Ep 3 stunt sabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by DarthJRW, Aug 9, 2005.

1. DarthJRW

DarthJRW Well-Known Member

ok guys

i started a topic about this a few months ago and there were alot of comments, some were right, others wrong.

the reason i want to reopen this discussion is because i love stunt sabers and i am facinated by the way they are made, and i love Ep.3.....

so does anyone know how they were REALLY made ??

someone told me that the stunt handles were reuseable, then i was told they were not. i know theres limited info on these but if anyone knows how they were made/ put together please share your information

also include pics if possible

may the force be with you

DarthJRW

2. p0sitr0nic

p0sitr0nic Well-Known Member

Here are some Ep 3 stunts.

3. p0sitr0nic

And an up close of Anakins stunt..

(Im also really interested in the stunt sabers, from all 3 prequils.)

4. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

A quote I found on the internet says:

"For Return of the Jedi and the later movies, the hilts were custom machined from aluminum. In place of the glowing blade, carbon rods were used as blade reference during fight scenes. In the first two prequel films, they upgraded to resin "stunt" handles and aluminum tubes. For the final film of the Star Wars saga, Revenge of the Sith, the aluminum was replaced by a carbon-fiber blend specifically manufactured for the production."

FB

5. DarthJRW

well im guessing that the sabers were a type of STRONG resin then probally a metal reinforcement in the middle of the saber to secure the blade in to

does that sound about right???????

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

Obviosuly what you were told before didn;t sit well with you. You can believe what you want, but when facts were given you snuffed at them...

Good luck proving your theory though.

7. DarthJRW

Primrodo

its not that i dont believe wut you are saying but i just find it hard to believe they would spend extra when they could of just used a strong resin

so did they reuse the metal handles once the blades broke???

8. DarthJRW

anyone know????

9. amish

amish Sr Member

Try and get your hands on the Heroes DVD that was in the UK. That has a good section that will give you some ideas of what they did.

10. p0sitr0nic

Any tips on finding that? or the full name, description, ect...

11. DarthJRW

yes where could i get that

12. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

Dude I showed you photographic proof from insider that had all teh saber parts laid out specifically Anakins and Maces.

Resin handles were brittle and few survived, whereas cast metal ones have a better chance and therefore is more cost ffective.

Just because you don't think they would doesn't mean they didn't. Gillard told me there were 2-4 set screws holding the blade in place as well as the threaded end, you can't do that with resin.

And for reference the blades never broke. But they were seperate and put in and out, there were not permantantly attached in anyway.

13. p0sitr0nic

Can i get that pic?

14. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Why not? They did it for the first two movies.
    Set screws through the tube blade into the metal rod (threaded or smooth?) that the resin saber was cast around. Anyone remember the photo of a rack of finished Ep1 stunt saber handles with rods only, no blades?
    I think you'll most likely find a mix of materials depending on the stunt saber (more detailed closeup version/ plain old bang around version). Lesser characters probably didn't get the fancier stunts either.

15. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

Could you post that stuff up here so we can see it, please?

16. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

agreed. :)

17. DarthJRW

Primrodo,
    can you post that pick of anakins and maces saber and all the saber parts laying around????

18. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

lonepigeon, the Episode 3 blades were not slid over nor screwed onto a rod this time around. Infact a hole trhough a carbon fiber rod signiicanly weakens the fibers and woudl result in many breaks...which they never had.

You can't securely thread resin like this to set in set screws. TPM and AOTC had the same stunts with rods poking out and teh aluminum tubes screwed on, but Episode 3 was a whole new ball game. Heck they used Bamboo for some of the Obi vs Ani fight.

They may have used resin just regular junts, sabers that get tonnes or what not, but not the duelling ones. They couldn't have mixed them up either, lesser or not, due to the blade material. They all used this new style blade and handle made of metal/plastic or diecast parts.

As for the pic:

[​IMG]
    http://www.petridish.net/pics/12000/Saber%20Box.jpg

19. ObiWan_Knievil

ObiWan_Knievil Well-Known Member

Here's another pic. As you can see, these are most definately not resin.

[​IMG]

20. amish

amish Sr Member

The Heroes and Villians DVD's came from a UK paper called the Sun (i think) you can probaly find some on ebay maybe.

21. DarthJRW

ok

they are metal

the question is did they cast them in molds that withstood the heat or did they individually machine each stunt

22. ObiWan_Knievil

ObiWan_Knievil Well-Known Member

I believe the parts were individualy machined per saber.

-OWK

23. DarthJRW

really??

wow thats expensive

24. p0sitr0nic

not really, think about it, they only need 2 or 3 per saber that way...

25. Polluxius

Polluxius Active Member

Does anyone have any info about the Rubber Sabers that were Chromed?

How many different stunts where used in EP III? In the video at the official site, they showed hard resin props and saber molds, that would stand to reason that there at least some resin sabers. There were Chromed rubber ones, and now metal stunts. 8)2

26. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I'm not sure those aren't resin.
    Specifically the middle one without the green blade. That looks like a threaded rod to me, like the Mace Windu Ep3 stunt on Ebay.
    The Obi-Wan stunts came in at least two versions, smooth grenade and ridged grenade. Each of those may be different materials.

27. DarthJRW

i heard that they were able to come up with a way to make the plating itself flexible so that it wouldnt chip off the rubber or the plastic/metal stunts

28. Polluxius

Polluxius Active Member

That is not a threaded rod, that is the carbon fiber rod without finishing.

I have a theory that the carbon fiber rods where covered in another tubing or dipped in something for color tracking (more than just paint), I am trying to gather some research, but I think there is more there. ;)

29. p0sitr0nic

funny, i posted that same pic, but no one noticed... lol

30. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

We already have evidence of screwed on tube blades in Ep3. They probably weren't the carbon fiber ones though.
    The sabers in this pic may be metal. They look like a mix to me. Those Dooku's are likely chromed resin or rubber. Since Mace's saber is a mix of finishes they'd have to gold plate those pieces separately no matter what the material. Anakin - those are really large center holes on those pieces. Can you thread the outside of a carbon fiber rod? I would think those threads would be really weak if you did. I haven't seen any evidence of set screws in the saber hilts themselves.

31. LogansRunner

Great pic.
    Any more of those? :)

32. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

Chris,

Gillard told me they had an adapter fitted to thread into the saber hilts and then 2-4 set screws to told the blade as well. Him and I specifically talked about it at C3, he was demonstatting to the Graflex I had with me.

As for the holes, they have to attach the hilt parts together somehoe, maybe its kind of a tube of the tops that slide in and decrease the overall width of the hole, i don't know.

This is just from what I've seen and what Gillard himself told me, we talked a bit on it, imagine my surprise on finding that they used bamboo in some shots.

Perhaps Chris you should pull some strings and check out one yourself ;)

33. DarthJRW

well

im sure some of the bladed stunt sabers were all plastic

and i know there is a pourable plastic that has the strenght of metal

what do you guys think the neck on those obi stunts were made of ???

34. DarthJRW

anyone got any more pictures???

35. p0sitr0nic

Hayden acting dumb.. lol

36. p0sitr0nic

and again, more.

37. p0sitr0nic

and one more.

38. LogansRunner

I cant believe i didnt notice this till now, but theres a sid saber in there. :p

39. DarthJRW

so i take it that they used just those handles and would reuse them if the blade broke.......

am i right????

40. p0sitr0nic

Yes. Im pretty sure that is correct.

41. acerocket

acerocket Well-Known Member

Polluxius. As for the colored covering, can you see the rolls of colored tape in the pic from positronic. There's your answer to how they were colored.

42. Polluxius

Polluxius Active Member

Yeah I see the tape, well, there went my theory, :D

I just noticed that some of the stunt saber blades look wider when colored than "raw". This was just some superficial measurements I made yesterday. I think the tape made it look wider. Oh well.

Good Day All.

43. DarthJRW

no i think some of them were just taped more than others

44. shawnA2

shawnA2 New Member

The carbon fiber blades they used in the movie can be ordered now. I just got mine today. It seems * near unbreakable. Although it looks like a threaded texture, it is smooth to the touch. I'm going to paint mine blue and attach it to my custom hilt with a 3/4 hole adapter since the rod itself is a bit smaller. Random Sabers has them fairly cheap. They got them straight from the company that made them for Episode 3. Go to http://randomsabers.com/blades.htm and scroll down.

I can't believe they haven't sold out yet.

45. Polluxius

Polluxius Active Member

I read somewhere on this forum that these blades were breaking?

I have considered ordering one from Ryan but was unsure.

Does anyone have any clue as to what sort of tape they used in the movie? I have been looking for some that would hold up to dueling. I have been using colored duct tape, which works well for a while then it starts to show white :(

46. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

And that company just happens to be in my backyard here in New Zealand :D

http://www.kilwell.co.nz/

47. shawnA2

shawnA2 New Member

that it is. so were you able to get blades straight from Kilwell? That would be sweet.

I've been smacking my blade into things, it seems very tough. Forget acrylic blades, once I paint this thing, I'm never going back.

48. acerocket

acerocket Well-Known Member

Pol.

In a real word such as ours, there is no such thing as 'indestructable'. That being said, those aluminum/carbon fiber blades are * near as close as you can get for a hollow tube. Any material can break if you hit hard enough or a certain way. If people are breaking these, then they are probably using them beyond common sense bounds for dueling or they are mounting them wrong. My guess is the latter. Whenever you take a hollow tube and put it in a hole, you generate enormous amounts of stress at the point where the hole meets the tube in an impact (granted, a single impact will not break the blade, but repeated impacts could weaken the blade and lead to failure). In my experience, the best way to mount a blade like this is to put in a 'soft' mount or at the very least, a holder with a generous radius at the hole end to help minimize the sharp inferface between the holder and the blade. I like to put my blades (usually 1.2" od) into a 3/4" delrin holder (with about 6 set screws - but don't drill any holes in the tube) with a slight radius in the hole end and then I can insert the blade with attached holder into my saber. This works great with stunts and EL sabers that use the 3/4" blade. My main goal is to not get a sharp corner at the point where the blade and holder meet. I hope this helps a little.

49. DarthJRW

yes acerocket thats true

i have hade the same four blades for a year they look terrible but are still as strong as the day i bought them but i broke one the other day due to the fact that i hit it on the ground trying to counter a move

oh well in need newer ones any ways ...... :lol

on a interview with hadyen, he said they only broke a handfull of blades for the whole production.............they were given 200 tubes that must mean that they have about 160 left in the archives.... :lol

50. LogansRunner

I read somewehre that Ewan was breaking like one a day or somthing, that i dont know if that was "official".