DUNE 2021 Crysknife

A bit confused about the Stilgar knife used for the UC model. These two knives are almost identical, but Stilgar's doesnt have the rounded engravings on the handle. Is that one Chani's that she gives to Paul? Or is this just the opposite side of Stilgar's? Every other detail is identical. The others all line up to the previous photo of Mapes, Kynes and Jamis'.

Also worth noting the UC one lines up exactly to the one shown at the bottom here, down to the long crack on thre blade just above the engraving, OTHER than those circular designs on the handle. So it's at lest nice to know its probably cast from a real one.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 3.21.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 3.18.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 3.18.57 PM.png

Last edited:
A bit confused about the Stilgar knife used for the UC model. These two knives are almost identical, but Stilgar's doesnt have the rounded engravings on the handle. Is that one Chani's that she gives to Paul? Or is this just the opposite side of Stilgar's? Every other detail is identical. The others all line up to the previous photo of Mapes, Kynes and Jamis'.

Also worth noting the UC one lines up exactly to the one shown at the bottom here, down to the long crack on thre blade just above the engraving, OTHER than those circular designs on the handle. So it's at lest nice to know its probably cast from a real one.

View attachment 1507088
View attachment 1507082
View attachment 1507083
What's odd is the COA and box art for the UC knife show the circular patterns. The image of Paul holding it show the circles on the opposite side as well. The UC knife is obviously based on Stilgar's yet it's named as Paul's on the COA/box. The pitted texturing is also more noticeable on the silver part of the handle for Stilgar.

IMG_20211016_010702__01.jpgAdobe_20211016_093438__01.png

What's odd is the COA and box art for the UC knife show the circular patterns. The image of Paul holding it show the circles on the opposite side as well. The UC knife is obviously based on Stilgar's yet it's named as Paul's on the COA/box. The pitted texturing is also more noticeable on the silver part of the handle for Stilgar.

View attachment 1507095View attachment 1507098

I think this just shows that WE get WAYYYY more into this than the guys marketing the film and selling the prop knives!

:p:p:p

View attachment 1507095View attachment 1507098
Could it be a plot point that occurs in part 2?

Another thought could be each knife engravings could be associated with all the individual Fremen tribes. There might be some slight changes in the handle engraving to denote this knife belongs to this person or passed down from one family member to another. Just a thought After rewatching the movie a few times. Hell the devil is in the details right.

The most likely explanation is that UC modeled the wrong knife. I strongly doubt they were privy to a plot point in the sequel that wasn't written when they began producing the knife. It's not something that happens in the book anyway.

Just got my UC knife. It’s very ice. The face of the blade is a little greenish which is weird. Can also confirm the whole thing is cast in semi translucent resin, if you put a light behind the handle you can see through the whole thing, they didn’t paint the handle black first to make it solid.

Just got my UC knife. It’s very ice. The face of the blade is a little greenish which is weird. Can also confirm the whole thing is cast in semi translucent resin, if you put a light behind the handle you can see through the whole thing, they didn’t paint the handle black first to make it solid.
I believe, & could be wrong, but the entire knife is supposed to be the sandworm tooth, including the handle. The metallic part is the only non-organic part of the knife. If that's the case, then the handle should need translucent as well.

true, but even the "metal" part is just part of the casting so you can see through it as well with a bright enough light. They didnt paint it dark black first,

A question about the crysknife: I'm trying to figure out how fat the blade and handle are. Does anyone have a picture of the blade and handle "edge on?" Or have any kind of measurements? SKS Props template is great, but it doesn't show how thick everything is.

Last edited:
A question about the crysknife: I'm trying to figure out how fat the blade and handle are. Does anyone have a picture of the blade and handle "edge on?" Or have any kind of measurements? SKS Props template is great, but it doesn't show how thick everything is.
You can kind of get an idea about the thicknesses from this exhibit pic:

20210923_225730.jpg

I don't have a pair of calipers here at home, but an approximation of the handle thickness dimensions of the United Cutlery replica are as follows:

2021 crysknife.jpg

That's just about exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
One thing that's great about the individualized crysknives is that making a replica prop is much less strict. Any "inaccuracy" can be written off by "it's not Stilgar's. It's Otheym's knife. Or Geoff's knife." Makes crysknives a hell of a lot easier than making lightsabers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back