Dune 2021 Crysknife Leather Sheath

zachsbanks547

I just got a Dune Crysknife (the United Cutlery version; which I’m really happy with, BTW).
It didn’t come with a sheath, so I had to get one (with the lore around crysknives, I’m surprised they didn’t include one).

The only ones I could find online were 3D-printed ones, but I definitely wanted a leather one. So, I decided to make one.
It’s a simple folded sheath style, made out of veg tan. I embossed in the design with some ball-tipped embossing tools. Saddle-stitched with a 4mm stitch length. Then I did a little bit of weathering with sand-coloured acrylics (my first attempt at weathering).

It’s definitely a different style than the ones we see on-screen, but I’m really happy with how it turned out.
I’m still planning to add some lacing around the throat, like is seen in the movie, and add some around the middle. That way I'll have two tie-in points if I want to attach it anywhere (like to the back of a stillsuit someday). And I’m planning to do some more weathering with some actual sand at some point.

I attached a PDF of the pattern I made for it, if anyone wants to make one. I used 9oz leather, and the pattern is probably specific to that thickness, at least to have the knife fit tightly. You could just bring the stitching in a bit if you used a thinner leather.

Attachments

• Crysknife 1.jpg
    Crysknife 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
  • Crysknife 2.jpg
    Crysknife 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
  • Crysknife 3.jpg
    Crysknife 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • Crysknife 4.jpg
    Crysknife 4.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
  • Crysknife 5.jpg
    Crysknife 5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • Crysknife Sheath Leather Pattern.pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Oh my goodness that's amazing! I'm also looking for a good sheath for the UC knife. Is there another way to stich it in a way that is more accurate to the film? I wonder if the screen used ones are leather or some kind of resin, as I don't see any stich lines in the screenshots I've looked at

My bet is that the screen ones where resin or plastic of some kind.
There could be a way to do it more accurately, by doing a butt stitch and running it up the center of the back side of the sheath, like this.
I had considered doing it that way, but I’m not all that experienced in leather stitching, so decided to stick to this method.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back