Dewy and Anakin Starkiller's Accurate Qui-Gon Jinn Lightsaber Design

Dewy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After receiving my prototype Obi TPM saber, it became apparent that something was missing:

IMG_9529reduced.jpg

For those of you following the Obi-Wan Kenobi TPM thread, you may have noticed a couple teasers posted, but in parallel to the design of that saber Anakin Starkiller and I have been working on Qui-Gon Jinn’s lightsaber.

A couple major highlights:
  • Similar to the Obi saber, we have been very fortunate to obtain a similar collection of non-publicly available high resolution images of the hero prop.
  • Will feature as many quirks and asymmetries of the original hero prop as possible
  • Goal is to match Starkiller’s Maul saber and our in-progress Obi TPM saber, will be 100% static replica made from as authentic materials as possible (machined aluminum, Delrin, and steel).
Speaking of authentic materials, each replica will include a 100% authentic aircraft panel lamp gasket under the red button just like the original prop:

Slide1.png

Without further ado:

Model1.PNG

Overlay to hero prop:
Overlay1.PNG

This model is still very much a work in progress. In some ways this saber has been even more challenging than the Obi TPM saber. This saber features some more organic shapes and curvatures that can be challenging to parametrically model. Similar to the Obi TPM saber, there are a combination of features that were originally manufactured into the saber, and features that are a result of (I believe) the saber being “spruced up” for certain shots during filming. For example, the feature in the image below was almost certainly not on the prop when originally made for filming as none of the resin stunt sabers have these features:

Slide2.png

Some more of the intricate details:

Slide3.png

Pommel:
Slide4.png

Emitter details:
EmitterDetail.PNG

Again, this model is still very much a work in progress, but we're at the point where open discussion and more sets of eyes are needed. I will post some more model pictures later. In the meantime, I wanted to ask the community what details and features are important to them? From what I've shown above is there anything that looks off to you?

Attachments

• Slide1.png
    Slide1.png
    11.8 MB · Views: 158
  • Slide3.png
    Slide3.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 228
i LOVE it, great work guys!

It looks like someone tried to put a groove in the pommel above the mid-band, but its very shallow. Don't see that on the model picture to the right of it.

I never would have seen some of these details.. amazing work

Looks great. :D

It's interesting that the overlay image would seem to indicate that the emitter ring on this saber is off center, similar to the Obi saber emitter plate. That may just be a problem with how it's all lined up, since as you said it's still WIP, but if your model parts are all centered with each other, as they appear to be, they're off in opposite directions from the reference image.

It is super cool that you're capturing all the tiny details. Can't wait to see more.

Looks great. :D

It's interesting that the overlay image would seem to indicate that the emitter ring on this saber is off center, similar to the Obi saber emitter plate. That may just be a problem with how it's all lined up, since as you said it's still WIP, but if your model parts are all centered with each other, as they appear to be, they're off in opposite directions from the reference image.

It is super cool that you're capturing all the tiny details. Can't wait to see more.

This particular image I’m using for an overlay is poorly cropped on some of the edges and parts of the saber are clipped off.

Dude I was wanting to ask if this hilt was going to happen from you guys, but I didn’t want to bother. This is joyous news!

As far as details I’m interested in is the asymmetry in general, and the hilt being a static only model, like the actual prop. Specifically I think the hooks on the shroud and the activation button have never been done correctly.

Can't explain it, but this has always been one of my very favorite sabers, I'm 100% on board with this. I have little to offer other than encouragement and dollars once a run happens. Looks great so far!

Just looking back over this thread and dreaming. Noticed that there is black paint on the shroud near the red button even on the hero prop. Are the black sections of the hero hilt painted resin like the hero Obi-Wan?

So I would assume that the plan would be delrin instead of resin like the Obi-Wan hilt?

I'm so happy that thread pop out. Back in 1999/2000 I've spent much time trying to replicate that prop with wood and metal tubes. At the time I thought it was so perfectly crafted I couldn't recreate it in my garage. I'm pleasantly surprised to learn the hero prop has wonky features.
I have a few questions though, if I may.
I never knew how the TMP hero props were done, is the use of delrin known as a fact?
What happened to the TMP hero props? I've never seen much pictures of them.

I'm so happy that thread pop out. Back in 1999/2000 I've spent much time trying to replicate that prop with wood and metal tubes. At the time I thought it was so perfectly crafted I couldn't recreate it in my garage. I'm pleasantly surprised to learn the hero prop has wonky features.
I have a few questions though, if I may.
I never knew how the TMP hero props were done, is the use of delrin known as a fact?
What happened to the TMP hero props? I've never seen much pictures of them.
Delrin is just for these reproductions. The original heroes are made with cast resin that was painted black.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back