Destiny Hand Cannons for 3d print, Last Word, now Hawkmoon (pic heavy)

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
***UPDATED 01/16: 3d print kits are now available in the Junkyard***

***ALSO.... For those who keep asking, I am not posting my raw files so people can print their own. If they do become available, I will post that information here. Thanks!

Just finished up modeling the Last Word sidearm from Destiny, thought I'd share. I really like the look of this weapon, and I think it came out nicely. It's going to printing as we speak, so I should have updated pics in a few days. :)

Here's the sidearm from the game for reference:

And the finished model:

Opened cylinder and load:

The print breakdown:

...And a last shot:

I'll update when the print is done, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Destiny Last Word Hand Cannon for 3d print (pic heavy)

I'm curious about your modelling technique for doing the detailing. Polymodelling with Boolean subtractions? Sculpted with zbrush? Built with solidworks or some other nurbs/surface based modeller? Such a tight job and I don't think people here will fully appreciate how difficult it is to do that sometimes.

I ground this one out in Blender. I try and avoid modifiers as much as I can until I'm making final revisions, so most contour sculpting is done 'the long way' until it's getting finalized. I do use boolean modifiers and also knife projection modifiers, depending on the desired effect (it's a big deal for me to have details like engravings both follow the curvature of the surface and have a consistent depth). The downside is, no matter how clean I keep things, these modifiers still end up generating A LOT of fragments and inconsistencies that take a long time to fix.

As an example, the inset grip pattern was done by with two separate booleans to make the inset space, and then two more knife projects of the actual grip texture so that the surface of the 'checkering' follows the original contour of the handle (I didn't want the grip checkering to be flat, but instead follow the handle shape like a real gun would). Obviously a lot more steps go into it than just this, but that projection feature saves me a boatload of modeling on something that most people will never notice :) Here's an example of the grip work-around I used:

Game image used to model and overlay the grip pattern:

Boolean and projection used to cut down, apply and extrude the grip texture...

A lot of clean-ups and revisions get me this:

Pretty funny, it was easier to make a functioning swing arm than it was to make the grip, and nobody ever seems to say 'nice grip' :lol

The grip, and the engraving was why I asked. Its tough to do that stuff with poly modelling.

Just something I've found that works really well, and allows you a bit of leeway with how clean your meshes are. Bring it into Autodesk meshmixer and "repair" the geometry before printing. Its free software and works great for print prep. I had a bunch of print errors with my mass effect arc pistol, one pass through meshmixer and it prints perfectly. It was a pretty messed up mesh because a lot of it was based on detailed version of the actual game mesh, and those things are never clean contiguous objects.

Again great work, super clean.

Looks great, Are going to put the file anywhere for other people to print?, I would love to print this.

Prints should be available once the initial gun print is completed and inspected, gotta make sure everything looks and works properly before it will be offered. :thumbsup

Wow, I just switched to Maya from Blender so good job, that's a lot of work in Blender!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work here. That model looks HOT. :thumbsup

So, I understand what tools and modifiers you're using, but I was wondering how you made the grip texture pattern the way you did, before you applied it to the actual pistol grip. I'm trying to do the same thing with the Gemini helmet I'm working on, and originally thought to add the hexes the way you added the grip pattern.

Sadly, I've never actually got anything to work right from that point. Any advice? Or any specific tutorials you'd recommend?

Thanks for the kind words!

Barrels getting printed, the engraving is coming out well I think:

Sadly, I've never actually got anything to work right from that point. Any advice? Or any specific tutorials you'd recommend?

I just kind of figured things out for the way I do it. I would think the hard part (especially on the gemini) is that it's a compound surface with a repeating pattern (just like the grips), but the surface is a lot more curved in some areas. The method I showed above wouldn't really work well, because the projected image would deform depending on how much the piece's surface was curving; the parallax would cause a lot of the pattern at the edges to be a lot more skewed :( I would think that there's possibly a method using beziers that could better map the pattern over a really curved surface)

Thanks for the kind words!

Barrels getting printed, the engraving is coming out well I think:

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2c87/d5xfa65hgg3gm054g.jpg

I just kind of figured things out for the way I do it. I would think the hard part (especially on the gemini) is that it's a compound surface with a repeating pattern (just like the grips), but the surface is a lot more curved in some areas. The method I showed above wouldn't really work well, because the projected image would deform depending on how much the piece's surface was curving; the parallax would cause a lot of the pattern at the edges to be a lot more skewed :( I would think that there's possibly a method using beziers that could better map the pattern over a really curved surface)

Yup, that's exactly what happened. The Gemini lid was too round on the surface for it to work.

However, your input is very helpful. Sometimes it's not what the answer may be, but simply what isn't the answer that leads us to, well, the actual answer. :thumbsup

That prints looks nice and clean, too. :thumbsup

Just to also put that out there, (and it would be A LOT of work I think), you can apply the Gemini honeycomb texture to the armor sections, and then use it as a guide to cut the hexagons in manually. That would eliminate distortion, but it's a lot of monkey work. I would probably do it that way, just get into a rhythm and zone out.. :lol

this model looks fantastic, I would love to print up a copy for my warlock cosplay if you end up sharing the file!

Stuff like this reminds me why I really should buy a 3d printer, Lovely build. I don't have a last word or thorn, but I have a hawk moon in destiny lol But I love seeing these hand cannon builds

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back