Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

Got billed this morning for my 3rd Shipment... if everything goes like it did with the last shipment, that means I'll have 9-12 in 1 week (next Monday)... WOOHOO!

Man... this is killin' me! I'm counting the days until I get billed for my second shipment. It's cool seeing what's in my future, but I wish I could have them all now, ha!

Picked up my two shipments from my mailbox in the states...

Well, the table I had planned to build and display the parts progress is too small. Man this thing is big. :D

Question for those who know more than I do about painting models (mostly everybody I'm sure)...

I was thinking of ways I could avoid having to cover it with a primer and then repaint the whole DeAgo, instead I was wondering if I could I just use the model color as molded, add missing colored plates and then weather the whole thing over that...What I don't know is if it need be (clear) primed somehow first (perhaps lacquered over first?), or should I paint the panels THEN seal with a layer of lacquer, then weather, then seal again? What would be best?

I did notice with tests I have done painting both acrylics and enamels on the untreated plastic, that the acrylics easily scatch off while the enamels are much tougher.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

imurme

Question for those who know more than I do about painting models (mostly everybody I'm sure)...

I was thinking of ways I could avoid having to cover it with a primer and then repaint the whole DeAgo, instead I was wondering if I could I just use the model color as molded, add missing colored plates and then weather the whole thing over that...What I don't know is if it need be (clear) primed somehow first (perhaps lacquered over first?), or should I paint the panels THEN seal with a layer of lacquer, then weather, then seal again? What would be best?

I did notice with tests I have done painting both acrylics and enamels on the untreated plastic, that the acrylics easily scatch off while the enamels are much tougher.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

imurme

Acrylics are always less durable than enamel but that really isn't much of an issue; unless you are going to be playing with the model a lot (I hope not with the DeAgo). I myself, usually pre-spray with a primer, then paint the other details in and rough them up a bit to make them look worn, then overspray with a clear matte finish to seal them. then do the weathering pass with oil paints, washes, spattering and possibly pastels to dirty it up and if I know it will be handled I'll overspray it again with another light coat of clear matte to lock that all down. I do suppose you could use the molded color as your base and just paint the odd panels, weather, etc. I really can't see a downside to that myself.

Acrylics are always less durable than enamel but that really isn't much of an issue; unless you are going to be playing with the model a lot (I hope not with the DeAgo). I myself, usually pre-spray with a primer, then paint the other details in and rough them up a bit to make them look worn, then overspray with a clear matte finish to seal them. then do the weathering pass with oil paints, washes, spattering and possibly pastels to dirty it up and if I know it will be handled I'll overspray it again with another light coat of clear matte to lock that all down. I do suppose you could use the molded color as your base and just paint the odd panels, weather, etc. I really can't see a downside to that myself.

Thanks for the advice ThrakenSal, I am just trying to simplify the painting process a bit, I actually have 3 1oz bottles of original Floquil Grime enamel paint that I had purchased way back when I was going to do my Fine Molds 1/72 (still in the box LOL) but I am not sure if that would be enough to paint this HUGE model? So I figured I would keep the model it's molded color and then perhaps do some dry brush highlights using the Floquil Grime to tie it all together during the weathering...Do you think that could work, or do I have enough here (3oz) to do a full repaint?

imurme

Heres where i'm at with the lighting. I ripped out the .25 fibers as they were too subtle and replaced with .5mm fibers. This entailed a lot of re glueing the control sticks and panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crow, FINALLY received my second shipment almost a month after they billed me for it only to find the parts for issues 7 and 8 are missing. I'm getting some severely bad ju-ju about this project at the moment....

Holy crow, FINALLY received my second shipment almost a month after they billed me for it only to find the parts for issues 7 and 8 are missing. I'm getting some severely bad ju-ju about this project at the moment....

Email and call them that's all you have to do. Explain that you have some missing pieces. They'll send them out to you. Theyre are just overwhelmed by the huge interest this has generated. They'll make it right. I know it's disappointing to not get what you ordered. Make sure you follow up as well. Go onto the model space forum, and there is usaually someone there from Deagostini that should be able to help you. :)

I got my issues 5-8 last week... the cockpit link ring was broke. I emailed them and got a reply the following day that they'd send a new one out, though it would take a couple weeks.

ChefHawk, the lights look great. I'll be doing something similar in mine. Just ordered some multi-colored .5mm fiber optics and hopefully can run them off the issued cockpit lighting board.

Chris

Just got my third shipment yesterday... issue 9-12. This time the parts came in a single box instead of a double box but at least now I got the battery box I can test the LED light board now. Love this kit!

I'm still waiting on my missing issue 8, called them this morning and was told it had been shipped. I asked about the fact that they had sent me issue 13 instead and was told to keep it and would not be charged and that they would send issue 13 again when its time came. Seems a little daft when they could surely put a note on my account and just send 14,15 and 16 next month.

I'm still waiting on my missing issue 8, called them this morning and was told it had been shipped. I asked about the fact that they had sent me issue 13 instead and was told to keep it and would not be charged and that they would send issue 13 again when its time came. Seems a little daft when they could surely put a note on my account and just send 14,15 and 16 next month.
Seems like they can't even handle just putting in the right 4 issues each time. We don't want to confuse them any more than they already are.

Still waiting on 3rd shipment. Got a notice last Tuesday that said it shipped. The past issues haven't taken this long to get to me.

Ok I'm not a great modeler and new to the site, but I took the plunge today and bought this Millennium Falcon. Unfortunately I live in Australia and I'm inpatient lol so I shipped it from the US site to my USA address and will have to ship from there. Might take me a little longer to get the pieces but as there is still no release date for AUS I took the plunge. Hoping to use this great forum for tips on how to live one of dreams of owning a scale replica of a millennium falcon (being as I can't justify $10k for a MR one).

Bugger waiting that long Spacejunk lol it's easy to do just go to shipto website and sign up and they give you a USA address to have stuff sent to then you can have them ship it to you from there. I use it to buy heaps of stuff from the US that wont ship here works really well. If your impatient like me and you can't wait till 2016 then it's worth getting an account :)

If people from the Australia are keen to know prices i'll add up the total cost when the first shipment arrives and post here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back