Deadmau5 Head

Hmm I'm currently in the process of making a mau5 head for halloween and I'm done with most of the planning yet I'm kind of puzzled on how Joel's 5-ball Mau5head has a swivel visor.

Anyone have tips on how to construct such a visor?

I was thinking of using a clear acrylic cut from another globe visor and tint it out like a motorcycle reflective black tint and stretch black athletic mesh across it like LumberZach's post a few pages back.

He made it out of metal which is a lot easier to mold to the shape that you want then plastic or acrylic is. I'm sure he just hammered out the metal to the shape that he wanted and then attached bolts on the inside to allow it to move up and down. The problem with using acrylic would be molding it using a propane torch without burning it. I am not going to even attempt to do that. I used a motorcycle visor for the mouthpiece for mine. It wasn't the exact shape that I needed it to be for it to move so I taped it in. It worked just fine, except when you tried to have a conversation with someone. You had to take the head off so they could hear you.

Hi all,

God i hope this gets seen a LOT of traffic coming through this treat atm.

Can anyyyyyyyyyoneeeeeeee please give me the DIAMETER or RADIUS of the neck opening that they used on a 14" globe by any chance please :)

Thanks in advance!
DeeG

Hi all,

Can anyyyyyyyyyoneeeeeeee please give me the DIAMETER or RADIUS of the neck opening that they used on a 14" globe by any chance please :)

Thanks in advance!
DeeG

It all depends on how big of a head you have. I have a pretty big head, so I used about a 10" opening on mine. This allows it to fit comfortably over your ears.

Ears are done. I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to get the cloth how I want it around the head. I will put up more pictures as I finish my trial and error on it. Right now it's more error than anything else....

View attachment 70819

View attachment 70820

View attachment 70821

I actually used your picture as a template for my ears. They turned out great, thanks for posting them up. What are you wrapping?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
DeeG

It all depends how big your head is. Look through this thread and there should be a diagram for the head that joel zimmerman (or whoever) put up. But as for the norm, 7x8 seemed to be a good measurement.

This thread is being very helpful, I hope to put together a build sometime over the next year!

Lol. It doesn't take long to do a deadmau5 helmet.
I'm only 2 days in and i'm basically done AND I did it the paper mache route. I just need to add fabric.

My mau5 head:
30190726017294402614010.jpg

Trying to make it look like this:
31737022243023782081710.jpg

I still need to build his glasses somehow, Not quite sure how though...
and I need to get a weave. xD lol

But If I decide to change my mind, All I need to do is just add fabric to it.

I actually used your picture as a template for my ears. They turned out great, thanks for posting them up. What are you wrapping?

The whole entire thing is going to be white, but I don't want seams on the main part. If you look at Joel's original heads, there is only one seam on the entire head. It runs around the back from each of the corners of the mouth. I'm trying to figure out exactly how he did that.

So I just got my globes for my head today...and they (Superior lighting) shipped me the white 14 inch globe instead of the clear one I ordered. Considering how long it took to get here, I don't think I'd be done in time if I returned it. While part of me is thinking of heading to Lowe's to see what alternatives I have, just in case, the majority of my brain says 'deal with it'.

However I planned on using the section of the mouth that I cut out to attach the athletic mesh to. But since it's white, I can't see through it.

Any one have any alternatives/suggestions I can try?

The whole entire thing is going to be white, but I don't want seams on the main part. If you look at Joel's original heads, there is only one seam on the entire head. It runs around the back from each of the corners of the mouth. I'm trying to figure out exactly how he did that.

I was looking to do that for the ears on mine. Since I was running a neon wire around the edges I figured whats the point, the neon wire will basically cover the stitch.

It seems like the cut would be from a large section of fabric as well as being stretched like crazy. The stitching is the only thing that I'd see as being a pain in the ass since you mostly want to stitch on the inside of the material. Good luck and post up how it worked.

So I just got my globes for my head today...and they (Superior lighting) shipped me the white 14 inch globe instead of the clear one I ordered. Considering how long it took to get here, I don't think I'd be done in time if I returned it. While part of me is thinking of heading to Lowe's to see what alternatives I have, just in case, the majority of my brain says 'deal with it'.

However I planned on using the section of the mouth that I cut out to attach the athletic mesh to. But since it's white, I can't see through it.

I tried the acrylic globe mouth piece last night. It fits well and looks pretty descent but it gets really hot inside of the head if there is no fan. Even with breather holes in the mouth piece I still found it uncomfortable to wear for the 5 minutes I had it on.

I'd try some type of metal that can breathe but won't allow too much visibility.

hey all thanks so much for the helpful information in making my own Deadmau5 head! I am currently about half way done and can't wait for it to be finished. I will definitely post pictures and a video when I am done!

Materials I am using:
13' hamster ball
2 disassembled tap lights
2 15 bulb LED circular lamps from SUPER LEDs
1meter EL LED wire
royal blue lycra stretchy velvet
metal mesh
styrofoam
cardboard

The only suggestion I have for you is to do the wire mesh and nylon for the mouth. I know it isn't going to as clean as you wanted, but if you want it to be ready in time for the show, there is no way you are going to have time to return it.

The only suggestion I have for you is to do the wire mesh and nylon for the mouth. I know it isn't going to as clean as you wanted, but if you want it to be ready in time for the show, there is no way you are going to have time to return it.

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm just so mad/sad :(. I did the whole strongly worded email thing too. Bah.

I'm gonna start on it in the morning. At least get the appropriate markings on the head and cut the eyes. I want them to light up but I'm not confident enough in regards to attaching them correctly. Hot glue? Do I need them to snap on? Should I make a mold so they can and I can swap out the led colors? The eyes are the only part I'm concerned/puzzled about.

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm just so mad/sad :(. I did the whole strongly worded email thing too. Bah.

I'm gonna start on it in the morning. At least get the appropriate markings on the head and cut the eyes. I want them to light up but I'm not confident enough in regards to attaching them correctly. Hot glue? Do I need them to snap on? Should I make a mold so they can and I can swap out the led colors? The eyes are the only part I'm concerned/puzzled about.

What are you using for the actual eyes? If you are going to use LEDs in the eyes, just cut out underneath whatever you are using for the eyes and you can swap them out from the inside.

What are you using for the actual eyes? If you are going to use LEDs in the eyes, just cut out underneath whatever you are using for the eyes and you can swap them out from the inside.

I'm just using a white acrylic globe. Since this will be the first mau5head I make I won't do anything too fancy, just put an amber LED behind it or some EL wire with foil behind it.

Funny thing is I got a response email today from superiorlighting, it made me laugh a bit:
I am sorry we do not have the clear globes in stock and as most of our customers are making deadmau5 heads we thought you would be ok with white. Please advise if you need to return the globe.
Thanks for stealing my globes, guys! lol.

On the plus side I'm just about done cutting. Giving my wrist a break before I start on the mouth. Little worried, don't want any cracking and I'm being ballsy by not reinforcing the corners...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back