Deadmau5 Head

Was thinking of doing the shirt like this , all caps but "I'M FAMAU5!" what you think?
Gallery-Grammys-Deadmau5--014.jpg

BTW, just found this link,
im_famau5_tshirt-d235488703040222226trdy_210.jpg

This is cool but think I will just take the **** ME part out, I think the head will get me enough attention, lol

Last edited:
Scooter5, great looking head! How did you go about laying the fabric? from the photos I only see one seam across the back, just below the ears.

Well the velvet I bought at the fabric store is really stretchy,

Started with the upper mouth, Clamped it and used spray glue and did a small section at a time and pulled pretty snug so i would get all the wrinkles out. Had a friend help, no way you can do it with one person. I made a line where i knew the seem would end up and pulled it past by an inch. Then did the same for the bottom lip, came up the the first part and cut them both. Wanted to just do a tuck fold, but was having lots of wrinkles. So came up with another option , not to happy with it and will tray something on the next head I do. But took a 2" wide strip and glued the top and bottom over to give me a nice looking piece. and glued that over the seem. Looks alright from a distance but up close, not that happy, but the attention is all from the front.

I picked up the stuff from Home Depot, and I did what others did and glued to of them together, so made 4 cut outs. used a razor blade to cut out a groove for the metal rod to sit in the middle.
As for shaping I used a electric hand palm sander and gave the edge a soft round corner.

Nice, thanks for the info. I'm going to try that out and see if I can spray paint them with the water based spray paint and see if I can get the look that I want.

He said he's headed to the Blue Bird in Bloomington. Doors open at 7, but it's 21+.

Yeah, it got moved to the BlueBird but my little brother isn't 21 and the only way in was having a glowfest ticket (which would mean either get the money refunded or use your $35 ticket to get in to a bar). Ended up not going. I heard that the sound quality was not good at all.

Was thinking of doing the shirt like this , all caps but "I'M FAMAU5!" what you think?
Gallery-Grammys-Deadmau5--014.jpg

I actually just made the no pitures shirt and Im making the "Your Ad Here" later this week. I was going to make a "labmau5" shirt for a mad scientist ball we are having, but discovered when you buy the packs of letters in this font, they do NOT come with numbers:cry so unless you find somewhere to get a 5 you're out of luck.

Nice, thanks for the info. I'm going to try that out and see if I can spray paint them with the water based spray paint and see if I can get the look that I want.

Let us know if and where you find that Krylon H2O water based spray paint. Apparently Rustoleum also has a water based spray paint called 'Aqua' brand. I've searched high and low (locally) and could not find either. A couple stores (Ace and a local hardware store) told me the Krylon H2O was discontinued.

Nonetheless, let us know if/where you find it. I'd still like to get some also!

Hey guys new here, loving the mau5 heads!

Question though. Ive been looking endlessly on google for a 14" acrylic sphere under $30, and not getting much anywhere. Just as how I do about every halloween with something, I wait til the last minute to get my materials... figured I would have learned by now.

Anywho, I already get my spandex lycra ordered, and I checked out the hamster balls at petco... that's a no go. Theres plenty of screws around the middle holding two hemispheres together, not to mention I could imagine the spandex molding over all those rectangular breathing holes.

Could anyone point me out to a reasonably priced 14 inch acrylic sphere that is still in stock? I thought I picked the last one up at 1000bulbs.com , but just got the email today saying theyre outta stock.

Thanks for any help looking for the sphere!

Hey guys new here, loving the mau5 heads!

Question though. Ive been looking endlessly on google for a 14" acrylic sphere under $30, and not getting much anywhere. Just as how I do about every halloween with something, I wait til the last minute to get my materials... figured I would have learned by now.

Anywho, I already get my spandex lycra ordered, and I checked out the hamster balls at petco... that's a no go. Theres plenty of screws around the middle holding two hemispheres together, not to mention I could imagine the spandex molding over all those rectangular breathing holes.

Could anyone point me out to a reasonably priced 14 inch acrylic sphere that is still in stock? I thought I picked the last one up at 1000bulbs.com , but just got the email today saying theyre outta stock.

Thanks for any help looking for the sphere!

hey I had the same problem with 1000bulbs and trying to find an acrylic globe but I could not find one at a reasonable price.

I did indeed used a 13 inch hamster ball and I think it worked out fine. Yes there are metal screws around the equator of the ball but in my mouth I believe cut out a little less than half of the screws and the ball was still holding its shape solidly. The hamster ball never lost its integrity. Just make sure you cut your mouth with the dremel in a way that does not directly cut into the screws and you will be fine. I reinforced the plastic pieces from where I was cutting with tape before I put the fabric on the head.

The slits on my ball at least are not raised so I had no problem fitting the fabric around the head. It turned out smooth and I just messed up with my fabric and rushed putting it on so thats why I did not turn out the way I was hoping

If worse comes to worse and you still want to make your head before Halloween you may have to go the hamster ball route. Hope this information helps and if you have any other questions ask away!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey I had the same problem with 1000bulbs and trying to find an acrylic globe but I could not find one at a reasonable price.

I did indeed used a 13 inch hamster ball and I think it worked out fine. Yes there are metal screws around the equator of the ball but in my mouth I believe cut out a little less than half of the screws and the ball was still holding its shape solidly. The hamster ball never lost its integrity. Just make sure you cut your mouth with the dremel in a way that does not directly cut into the screws and you will be fine. I reinforced the plastic pieces from where I was cutting with tape before I put the fabric on the head.

The slits on my ball at least are not raised so I had no problem fitting the fabric around the head. It turned out smooth and I just messed up with my fabric and rushed putting it on so thats why I did not turn out the way I was hoping

If worse comes to worse and you still want to make your head before Halloween you may have to go the hamster ball route. Hope this information helps and if you have any other questions ask away!

Hey Bal41m0reMau5, thanks for the reply!

I guess my main concern is the spandex fabric I bought. I have this feeling that it will kinda depress into those rectangular holes in the hamster ball? I imagine though that if the spandex was stretch out and taught enough, that wouldn't be an issue. What kind of fabric did you use??

Actually I just saw your youtube video... looks pretty good man! I can honestly not tell much a difference between the 13" and the 14" spheres after looking at yours

Actually I just saw your youtube video... looks pretty good man! I can honestly not tell much a difference between the 13" and the 14" spheres after looking at yours

Yea I used the stretchy lycra velvet everyone else suggested. The fabric worked great it was just my lack of skill and impatience that ended up bunching the fabric a little more than I had hoped. Hope you get your project underway.

Just a little development of my head so far..
photo.php

Cut the mouth and fitted the lower lip
photo.php

Fibreglassed the head and fitted the template ears for a rough reference
photo.php

Ears out of polystyrene and have two channels on the inner sides for the screws. Wall fittings on the ends will screw on to the thread through the inside of the head to secure them. Ears will also be coated in fibreglass and the screws fixed in by epoxy.
18onhfsj

Let us know if and where you find that Krylon H2O water based spray paint. Apparently Rustoleum also has a water based spray paint called 'Aqua' brand. I've searched high and low (locally) and could not find either. A couple stores (Ace and a local hardware store) told me the Krylon H2O was discontinued.

Nonetheless, let us know if/where you find it. I'd still like to get some also!

I called my local Ace Hardware and they still had 3 cans left. I was told the same thing that Krylon is discontinuing that line of spray paint. So I bought all 3 cans. I'm sure that any water based paint will work, but I figured that spray paint would cover cleaner than using a brush to put on the paint.

I'm really curious to how to make the visor movable Scooter5. Care to share the details on how to make this work?

Nevertheless, here is my mau5 head :D

yATDVl.jpg

nWHpPl.jpg

olc0Gl.jpg

Hello everyone, This is my first post, every time i searched for deadmau5 head this site came up . So since it has helped me create my first head, I figured I have to share.

FYI, The Visor is functional :D
315580_10150328705773990_504693989_7974057_421603743_n.jpg

Also ordered a chin strap for hard hat, It moves around a bit if I'm dancing around.

Enjoy, and thanks to all members that have posted , It really gave me more motivation to finish this project, Now one week till I get to party it up.

eHgg, your mau5head looks fracking amazing. I'm going a similar route, but orange on black!

Finally got my ears on. Going out to get some fabric once I'm done with another costume!

308351_546046837856_225500518_1126837_1662491733_n.jpg

I'm really curious to how to make the visor movable Scooter5. Care to share the details on how to make this work?

I will see If I can get some detail pictures, Will kick your self when you see how easy it was.

Used a 14" Acrylic Globe, Cut the mouth out in one piece, and then drilled holes in it so I could talk through it and not be so hot. Then drilled a hole at each end of the visor. Then I took some of the Foam I used from the ears and made a little piece for each corner of the mouth and pushed a drywall anchor in the foam and glued it. What is nice is the ribs on the Anchor kinda make it snap on and not fall out. And then the anchors work as rods and a pivot point for the visor.
Still working on a magnet Idea to allow the visor to stay up during drinking time :).

Here is a Shot from tonight before the Deadmau5 Show in Chicago:
317236_10150335524248990_504693989_8009168_1388183651_n.jpg

He Killed it tonight:
308445_10150335897428990_504693989_8012251_1951351087_n.jpg

He had the Cheese head on , Kinda funny cause Im a Packer fan, and we were in Chicago Bear land, Kinda Ironic don't you think lol

Inside My Head:
316478_10150333054763990_504693989_7995108_680637004_n.jpg

Used huge Foam blocks to support the gap between the hard hat and globe. Made a huge difference. Also if you look on the left side of picture you can see the white dry wall anchor for the visor.

As for wire and battery, Battery pack is 8x AA's and is velcro'd for each remove to switch batteries. Then it goes down to switch and Sound box for sound activated Eyes.

Here are some Youtube vids for you guys, Enjoy:
Visor Test - Deadmau5 head visor test - YouTube
Eye Sound Test and Main power switch on back - Deadmau5 Head eye test - YouTube
Another Eye Test vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLpYsGCVvg4

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back