Deadmau5 Head

Excellent Venturi, thanks! What would you suggest to use to attach the EL wire around the ears and mouth?

I just used E6000 craft glue. It dries clear and you can use tape to hold the wire where you want until the glue dries. My ears are made from foam board and used some staples that I found at Lowes to hold them on instead of glue.

I will have some soon! :) I'm waiting for a few things to arrive and then it is the home stretch! Just finished the ears tonight... gotta wrap the head, then install lights and its done!

Well here it is! Sorry for the wait but I finally got my Mau5 head done! Put my little spin on it. This is my first head and it was a ton of fun! I don't doubt I'll build another!!!

Tell me what you think! I have a little video too of it in the dark so you can see the lights in action.

HPIM4324.jpg

HPIM4323.jpg

HPIM4320.jpg

HPIM4316.jpg

HPIM4315.jpg

HPIM4313.jpg

HPIM4312.jpg

HPIM4309.jpg

HPIM4306.jpg

Here is a video!

Thanks everyone for the help and guidance. Thanks to Deadmau5 for the awesome music and awesome head design! :D

Well here it is! Sorry for the wait but I finally got my Mau5 head done! Put my little spin on it. This is my first head and it was a ton of fun! I don't doubt I'll build another!!!

Tell me what you think! I have a little video too of it in the dark so you can see the lights in action.

Thanks everyone for the help and guidance. Thanks to Deadmau5 for the awesome music and awesome head design! :D

Nice, I like it. I see that the material you used is kind of fuzzy, but does it stretch? I was wondering because I am building a new one with material that doesn't stretch and was wondering if you had any suggestions on it so you don't see the seams.

Yes, it stretches a lot. It is a 4 way stretch orange velvet. I lucked out pretty hard when I found it. I knew i wanted orange... i knew it had to be stretchy and bam, there it is. So yes it does stretch :D

Looks great man! The only problem I had when I built mine was I didn't get stretchy enough material but yours looks about perfect! Great work, espicially on the fabric part!

Thanks a ton guys! :D I couldn't have done it without the help and guidance of you!

Knowing I was going to install 2 fans in the back... i decided to use the acrylic cut out from the mouth instead of wire mesh. I stretch a piece of white nylon across it. I thought the acrylic would look best as it gives the perfect smooth finish and the nice contour with the helmet. It doesn;t get warm at all in there thanks to the fans pumping cool (and fresh air) across my head and down out the neck opening

How do you guys attach big battery packs? some of mine have battery inputs on both sides so i cant velcro it in... currently i have them duck taped in haha... any suggestions?

Thanks a ton guys! :D I couldn't have done it without the help and guidance of you!

Knowing I was going to install 2 fans in the back... i decided to use the acrylic cut out from the mouth instead of wire mesh. I stretch a piece of white nylon across it. I thought the acrylic would look best as it gives the perfect smooth finish and the nice contour with the helmet. It doesn;t get warm at all in there thanks to the fans pumping cool (and fresh air) across my head and down out the neck opening

How do you guys attach big battery packs? some of mine have battery inputs on both sides so i cant velcro it in... currently i have them duck taped in haha... any suggestions?

That's all I did with mine was tape them in. If you need to change the batteries you can just take off the tape and change em. Velcro was a waste of time.

Mine wasn't too hot, but the problem becomes when you want to talk to someone on the outside. They can't hear you and you have to take off your head to have a conversation with them.

Working on my mau5 head for glowfest in october. Here is where I am so far:

ae69146b.jpg

7e7e1436.jpg

And here is the unfortunate crack I encountered today while cutting the mouth (didn't realize how thin the plastic was until it was too late):

4147d5cc.jpg

I am not sure that I want to leave the ears the way they are. They measure correctly but dont seem to be as round as the other I search. Anybody have a sure way of measuring/cutting these things as well as other pointers?

Thanks everyone, a lot of cool deadmau5 heads on here.

Working on my mau5 head for glowfest in october. Here is where I am so far:

I am not sure that I want to leave the ears the way they are. They measure correctly but dont seem to be as round as the other I search. Anybody have a sure way of measuring/cutting these things as well as other pointers?

Thanks everyone, a lot of cool deadmau5 heads on here.

Instead of running the lines from the edge of the circle straight down to where they meet the head, kind of curve them a bit. I did mine by just drawing them until I liked how they looked. It's not an exact science, just use a pencil and keep sketching them till you like the way they look.

Here is a picture of the sketch that I just made for the ears for my girlfriends deadmau5 head that I am making currently. Her head is small, so I had to use a smaller globe and I had to proportion the ears to the size of the globe that I used.

View attachment 69369

You can see where I drew the lines straight down from the edge of the circle to where they will meet the head, but I then rounded them a bit. Hope this helps.

That looks pretty good. Mine were just rough copies, I am going to attempt making them like yours on paper there. They look great. I take it you just used a compass for the circle then worked with it from there on? Mine just are not round enough, hopefully I can sketch something better.

Thanks for the input!

That looks pretty good. Mine were just rough copies, I am going to attempt making them like yours on paper there. They look great. I take it you just used a compass for the circle then worked with it from there on? Mine just are not round enough, hopefully I can sketch something better.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I just used a compass for the circle and knew how long and wide they were suppose to be. I then just sketched the rest in and kept drawing till I liked how they looked. This way if you do it on posterboard, you can always change them until you get them exactly how you want and you don't waste your time or materials cutting ears out that don't look exactly how you want them to.

Hey everyone! Gotta say, seeing all these pics and the progresses being made are really inspiring and motivating. I had help drafting up a design (will be Halloween themed) and ordered some globes yesterday. I'm looking forward to making my mau5head for Halloween weekend/his concert here in SD. I'm planning on adding a few accessories to my head to make it my own. I can't wait!

Preemptive 'thank you' to everyone who has contributed so many helpful tips and tricks!

Nice.. I think I am just going to use some dense foam and cover it in polyurethane to help it stay firm.

Fiberglassed; the first layer was kind of sloppy so I sanded it down and I'm going to do a final layer tomorrow when I fiberglass the ears:

When you say fiberglassed and when you say polyurethane, arent they two ways of saying the same thing? or are the different? I'm as confused as talking about Zedd and Zeds Dead right now

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back