Daft Punk Guy-Manuel Helmet Build - Excessive LEDs and 3D Printing

You got the parts a couple of weeks ago, have you used them?

Well, as you can probably tell, work has been trying to kill me (again).

I did get the 3D printed parts in. I've been waiting on some parts to make the lightbars reflective and diffuse. I say waiting, but I only just ordered them last week. Did I mention work is trying to kill me?

I've got some reflective foil tape that arrived, I'll see how that works. I was hoping for something based on aluminized mylar, but this stuff looks to be straight aluminum. This stuff is sticky back, and I was hoping that would speed the install process. Depending on the reflectivity, I may fall back on using straight aluminized mylar that I know I can buy, it just won't be sticky back and will be a bit of a pain to work with.

The diffuser is some material I ordered from Inventables. I've known of the site for a while, just haven't bothered to try anything from the site. Hopefully this proper diffusing plastic will be brighter and more even than my Depron material I've used so far.

I've also got some other stuff to show off as soon as I can get my DSLR fired up and take some halfway decent pictures of the parts. Sorry, but I'm keeping them a surprise until the pictures are done properly.

So... Hows it goin?

Ugh, Not well.

FYI, avoid start-up companies if you have 'intensive' hobbies, ie electronics and prop replica stuff.

I've done basically nothing but work, eat, sleep, and run since May, perhaps even April(if I wasn't running I'd probably have had a heart attack by now). But as I understand things right now, it should all clear out in the next few weeks (deadlines and what not).

The arduino Due is finally here, but I have yet to see it in stock at Sparkfun, Adafruit, or a couple of the other distributes I frequent. Will probably put one on order once I get back from this current business trip.

I'm sure it's incredibly painful to follow my work. It's just as painful for me since I love this project so much. Not working on it and not making progress is constant reminder of how little energy and time I've had in recent history.

I am very loathe to give up on it. So it's just going to take a while to get there.

Sorry to hear, just dont stress about it.

I did manage to spend a grand total of 30 minutes on the project last week. I decided that the aluminum backing/ducting tape is pretty poor reflector. It just isn't supper polished has a poor reflection as a result.

I've put some mylar on order. It will be harder to install (with no tape backing) but is probably the best reflector option available (vs chrome it might even be as good/better).

I do (very hopefully) get Friday off because the boss had us working Veterans Day (big no-no for a company like ours). Here's hoping nothing comes up and the mylar makes it in time for the weekend.

You can get chrome vinyl which would be perfect . It's what I'm hoping to wrap my helmets in rather than spray or dipping

Man, That seems to be some serious work!
Can't wait to see this in action.

Me too. It will probably take the title of "most complicated digital self puppetry" pretty easily.

You can get chrome vinyl which would be perfect . It's what I'm hoping to wrap my helmets in rather than spray or dipping

Thought about that actually. Mylar is very similar, just a different plastic as the base. I've used it a fair bit in my field of work (aerospace) for heat shielding and the like.

Your not chroming it?
Is that because it is 3d printed? :/

I will be chroming the helmet exterior. This mylar is for the lightboxes that reflect and diffuse the light from the sidebar LEDs.

So, major change of pace just happened warranting it's own post.

My company just folded in half. And I wasn't one of the ones that stayed on. It is what it is.

obivously, I'm all over the place right now, but in an effort to stay productive on something I'm planning to get back into the helmet for hours a day.

But first, some catching up.

I mentioned a while ago that I was going to be posting one of my side projects on here. And here it is.

Cufflinks- rough image, first gen by ThreeFN, on Flickr

Massive appologies to the crappy image. This was a iphone pic from a while ago that I was sending to family and the like. At some point soon I'll fire up the DSLR and take some proper pictures.

What they are is a pair of cufflinks from Shapeways. I used my two models, shrunk them down and added some backing bits and voila, you have a cufflink. These are first generation, and need one or two tweaks, but other than that are ready to go.

I will be posting these on a Shapeways store soon, so that people can in fact buy some of my work. I'll probably put up both a left and right handed version of both Guy-Man and Thomas, so that people order the set of their choosing (one of each, same of each, gold and silver, etc etc).

I want to do more of this kind of work, because it's satisfying to generate real world stuff as quickly as 3D printing allows, and the small, shinny custom 'jewelry' items seem to be a good fit.

So I'm open to suggestions and commissions as well. Feel free to post or PM if you have an idea for something you'd like to see me put on the Shapeways store.

Nice work!
One question though, Why does the Guy-Man one has a different finish than the Thomas one?

Unfortunately that's on Shapeways. The gold is done by plating a stainless steel part, and the print resolution on the stainless isn't as high as the silver. Since it's not a high res before polishing, the polishing only rounds out so much of the part. Also, the gold can probably only be polished for so long before you start removing it from the stainless. The silver's higher res means less polishing is needed to get that mirror finish, and since the whole part is silver there's no concern about removing a plated layer.

The materials pages for stainless and for silver help explain:
Stainless
Silver

Both models were generated with the same STL settings, so I'm sure when I get around to having a Guy-Man cufflink printed in silver it will get that fantastic mirror polish as well.

If you look carefully, you can easily see the Guy-Man reflection in the back of the Thomas cufflink. making out the rest of my office is a bit harder though :lol

PROJECT UPDATE:

Did a little work on the lightbars today. These things are going to be really, really slow going. 144 pieces of mylar to cut. Eesh.

Sidebar and mylar by ThreeFN, on Flickr

testing one cell in sidebar by ThreeFN, on Flickr

red test cell by ThreeFN, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good job!
This cell is very evenly lit.

They're slightly less so in person, the LED just isn't quite far enough back. It's quite noticeable on blue and green because I'm not driving them at full voltage yet. It should even out once the whole thing it put together, or be less noticeable.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back